GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Acadia Denali
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 2012 GMC Acadia Denali has recently be showing up with erratically flashing engine light with corresponding engine stalls and then it switches off.. I live in the United Arab Emirates.

Let me explain how it started and how vehicle behaved till date.. sorry for the long script;)

This first happen to me while coming out of a carwash, and while waiting in qué for the dryclean. The engine light started blinking ( irregular ) and engine stalled.. Gave it a jumpstart, and was able to move about 20meter, and it happened again and engine shuts down. Gave it some time, and tried starting, and it started just to act up again in couple of seconds.. Fortunately, the petrol pump had a service center, mechanic there scanned and found loss of communication with ECU, he then used an air compressor to blow out any water remains in the engine.. after which I was able to drive for about 5-6km till I reached home.. and while trying to park my car ( needed to shift b/w drive and reverse couple of times ) it acted up again.. gave the vehicle some time to rest, tried again, started just for couple of seconds and the same thing happens again.. however after couple of tries I was able to put the vehicle in to parking location...

After keeping vehicle idle for 2-3 days, I tried again.. and it started with no issues. Drove for couple of hours and on the way back home while taking a roundabout, the same scenario happened, towed the vehicle to a mechanic, and was able to gets a scanned report ( attached below ) but was unable to find the cause of issue..

Majority of the times the vehicle gets into this trouble while putting the vehicle in to parking ( meaning while in need to shift b/w reverse and drive couple of times ), but one this happens the engine shuts down & I won't be able to start ( no crank with irregular engine light blinks and a simultaneous clicking noise from the engine ). After giving couple of minutes of rest, it might start again but just for couple of minutes ( even when sitting idle with engine running ).

Checked all cable connectors in the ECM, but no issues or water ingress found. Does TCM issues show similar signs?

Any suggestions / help is much appreciated.

BR,
Prichu.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had similar issues to what you describe in a 2009 Malibu V6. It was the TCM.

Although some of what you describe makes me think it could be a bad alternator or battery.

·
Registered
2012 Acadia Denali
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had similar issues to what you describe in a 2009 Malibu V6. It was the TCM.

Although some of what you describe makes me think it could be a bad alternator or battery.
Thanks SpartyOn, for the response.. shall update on the outcome.. I doubt a battery issue , coz firstly, I had replace the battery just 2 months ago, and secondly, won't the battery charge drop significantly if it's an alternate issue?

BR,
Prichu

·
Registered
2012 Acadia Denali
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SpartyOn, for the response.. shall update on the outcome.. I doubt a battery issue , coz firstly, I had replace the battery just 2 months ago, and secondly, won't the battery charge drop significantly if it's an alternate issue?

BR,
Prichu
Hi All,

Had TCM checked by a mechanic, but no issues could be found ( Hardware & Software).:(

I am getting suggestions on possible issue with the valve body, as if the vehicle shall come to a stop once it heats up..does someone have similar issues, any help is much appreciated..

The same issue happened several times since my last post, latest was yesterday. Once I stopped my vehicle to park, and tried to reverse it, vehicle acted up the same...

BR,
Prichu

·
Registered
2012 Acadia Denali
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

My 2012 GMC Acadia Denali has recently be showing up with erratically flashing engine light with corresponding engine stalls and then it switches off.. I live in the United Arab Emirates.

Let me explain how it started and how vehicle behaved till date.. sorry for the long script;)

This first happen to me while coming out of a carwash, and while waiting in qué for the dryclean. The engine light started blinking ( irregular ) and engine stalled.. Gave it a jumpstart, and was able to move about 20meter, and it happened again and engine shuts down. Gave it some time, and tried starting, and it started just to act up again in couple of seconds.. Fortunately, the petrol pump had a service center, mechanic there scanned and found loss of communication with ECU, he then used an air compressor to blow out any water remains in the engine.. after which I was able to drive for about 5-6km till I reached home.. and while trying to park my car ( needed to shift b/w drive and reverse couple of times ) it acted up again.. gave the vehicle some time to rest, tried again, started just for couple of seconds and the same thing happens again.. however after couple of tries I was able to put the vehicle in to parking location...

After keeping vehicle idle for 2-3 days, I tried again.. and it started with no issues. Drove for couple of hours and on the way back home while taking a roundabout, the same scenario happened, towed the vehicle to a mechanic, and was able to gets a scanned report ( attached below ) but was unable to find the cause of issue..

Majority of the times the vehicle gets into this trouble while putting the vehicle in to parking ( meaning while in need to shift b/w reverse and drive couple of times ), but one this happens the engine shuts down & I won't be able to start ( no crank with irregular engine light blinks and a simultaneous clicking noise from the engine ). After giving couple of minutes of rest, it might start again but just for couple of minutes ( even when sitting idle with engine running ).

Checked all cable connectors in the ECM, but no issues or water ingress found. Does TCM issues show similar signs?

Any suggestions / help is much appreciated.

BR,
Prichu.
Hi All,

Just revised the vehicle back yesterday from workshop...

The issue was a faulty ECM, the Alternator was also replaced, it seems the previous owner has replaced the alternator with a one that doesn't match the OEM part number ( I found it the herd way !! ). Resulting in higher current o/p than designed, the mechanic says this might have caused an internal fault in the ECM, causing it to overheat and shut down ..

Anyway, got the Alternator replace along with ECM and reprogrammed the new unit. Vehicle running fine now.. will update in case for any new issues..

BR,
Prichu.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts