GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will try to make a long story short. My daughter Saturday had the oil changed on her 2001 Grand Prix while I was at work ( I usually do it for her) and after I got home she called to let me know the "service" man at the auto repair shop (not a dealership) told her that she "could have" a problem with gaskets because her car uses Dex-Cool anti-freeze. He said he could prevent anything happening by replacing the anti-freeze AND the intake manifold gasket for ONLY $800.00 ! She thankfully said she would check with Dad before doing anything. By the way her car only has about 50,000 miles on it.
I guess the question is has anyone heard of this "problem" is there an official recall or such regarding it? Will it be a concern for the Acadia which I imagine uses Dex-Cool ? We have done nothing with my daughter's car and I want to check it myself before doing anything. Just wanted to get some input here as well. Thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I had a 1997 Grand Prix that I drove for 164,000 miles with Dex-Cool. I had the radiator flushed at 100,000 as maintenance. I would ask a Pontiac dealer about this if you are really concerned, but it seems fishy to me.

However, with a bit of Google research, I found this http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_dexcool.html
It appears there may be an issue. Although I also found some other stuff like this http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/gm-dexcool-lawsuit-may-soon-gain-class-action-status/
that may suggest it is not as bad as some say.

Again, I would definitely ask the dealer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The problem with those gaskets had to do with a bad intake manifold (if memory serves me correctly). I don't think that Dex-Cool has anything to do with the problem. I've used Dex-Cool in my Chevy Pickup for the past 12 years with no problems whatsoever (180,000 miles).

·
Registered
217 Posts
SFmail said:
He said he could prevent anything happening by replacing the anti-freeze AND the intake manifold gasket for ONLY $800.00 !
I'd say RIP OFF! :bs:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought all GM vehicles used dex-cool.... why would this be an issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have heard that Dex Cool did have a recall on certain vehicles. I would flush it and not worry about the gasket until a leak develops, if it does. Mechanics always like to use rumor as a money maker. People also blame the product before their laziness of not changing it at recommended intervals. I wouldn't worry about it in your Arcadia.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had this issue with my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, however, I was unable to confirm that it is definately related to the Dex-Cool. I read lots of stuff on the internet about this...but nothing from GM. It may be an incompatability of the gasket with the Dex-Cool. On my old Impala, I did oil in my coolant that may have been from this as well.

I would stay away from that mechanic. If there is no problem, don't fix it. It is a pricy gamble on a "repair" of a problem that may or may not exist.

Good luck sorting this out.....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The one thing dex-cool will do is gum up if it gets air or anything added other than pure water (like distilled). I had a slow leak in one dex-cool car and the air caused the whole system to turn to a mud consistency. The dealer flushed it, fixed the leak, and the car was then fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GAR said:
The one thing dex-cool will do is gum up if it gets air or anything added other than pure water (like distilled). I had a slow leak in one dex-cool car and the air caused the whole system to turn to a mud consistency. The dealer flushed it, fixed the leak, and the car was then fine.
Agreed! I was looking through my manual and it says to use "drinking water" not "plain water" WHAT!!! Who is going to understand that!!! I think GM is just trying to get you to tear up your car. Using Distilled water is always recommended Ford also tries this word fugery too make people think that water from the hose will be fine when it's no better than mud. Go and buy the 1$ gallon of "Distiled water" every time you flush your coolant. Toyota has never been cloudy on wording!! But they are cutting corners lately and the more americanized they get the more sloppy I have seen them get. Also they will push their premix Dex Cool which is a dollar less than full strength!!!!! Don't get pulled in by this nonsense!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mrvids,

Appreciate the heads-up on the Dex Cool issue. My daughter was over Tuesday evening and I checked the radiator cap (clean) the anti-freeze reservoir (clean) and looked around the intake (clean) I believe the mechanic was either #1 trying to make her aware of the possible problem or #2 looking to turn a quick buck. He printed off a "fact" sheet about the issue and I happened to see that it was dated July of 2006. Seems like a long time to go without even hearing of such a thing. I noticed that 2004 Grand Prixs are included in the settlement too. I better keep tabs because I drive one of those while the Mrs gets the GMC. I have jotted down the web site if I should need to refer to it again. Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ironically, my work vehicle is a 2003 Montana which is in the shop today...having the intake gasket replaced. ;D
The Venture van I sold my brother is going in next week for the same repair, and my Venture had it repaired 3 months ago.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mrvids

So are these Dex-cool problems? Maybe "just a bad batch of gaskets" :-\

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
From what I understand, it is not a bad "batch" of gaskets, but rather a chemically incompatable design. The Dex-Cool slowly "eats" away the gasket causing it to leak. The gasket was reformulated to make the Dex-Cool and the gasket play nicely together so they have this issue.

Chris

·
Registered
614 Posts
The note below is from friend who works as a GM dealership tech explaining his thoughts on Dex-Cool, not my quote.

For all the vehicles in GM history, as far as I know there was one head gasket that for whatever reason didn't work out with Dex-cool. They were all covered under factory warranty and outside of original factory 36/36,000 a special policy covered them up to (I think) 100,000 miles.
So from that, apparently some lawyer thinks that Dex-Cool can ruin plastic.
I've posted before, it was thermal expansion of an aluminum head on an iron block tightened with steel bolts that crushed the gaskets after continuous heat cycling.
The GM intake gasket failures were stopped by the introduction of a new (still plastic) gasket with anti-crush steel pills located on 2 sides of each of the 4 corner bolts. The new gaskets dont fail.
Any settlement on the issue is simply to avoid legal expense...just like most other settlements in this litigous society we call home...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Cool. Thanks for what they did to the new gaskets to make them work better.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looks like I started an arguement about Dex-Cool on another web site, here's more of the discussion below;
Tech guy # 1>>>
I have to say you are wrong on this one. Victor/Rienz, who is one of the worlds largest gasket mfg and the supplier of gaskets for the company I work for. They provided us tech data a couple of years ago, when making a design change to help cure this problem. They even had to change the compound of the bead seal on these gaskets.
ALL mfg of those intake gaskets have changed the plastic material to a different compound or gone to aluminum coated gasket, because of the acid that is created when using Dex-cool in an engine with iron block & alum heads.
Granted, a crush limiter was added with the new design, but even GM now uses a different plastic
I have heard of many techs who have put conventional anti-freeze back in and have zero problems.
GM will never admit this or it would bankrupt them.

REPLY from Tech guy # 2>>>>>>>> I've seen the service end through-out the whole ordeal. Every different gasket they came out with (yes the materials changed along the way as well) continued to fail.
The revision prior to what is current had the new fancy plastic and everything else...but they still failed until they put in the crush limiters.
The coolant doesn't go bad until there is a leak present which causes a low enough level to super-oxygenate the mixture which does indeed turn the coolant bad (acidic). It is the presence of Oxygen which causes corrosion. As we know, 2 dis-similar metals and an acidic mixture creates a battery. Chrysler used to have a problem with bad coolant creating voltage which screwed up PCM signals...those cars used green coolant...I don't know how Chrysler resolved the problem as it was early in my career, but I never heard about any class-action Green Coolant lawsuit.
I have NEVER seen a problem with a dex-cool system that did not have a leak somewhere that was allowed to go too long. If it isn't a current leak and the coolant is bad, it is because something happened in the vehicle's history and the cooling system was never cleaned thoroughly enough.
Same thing happens with green coolant.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Got my Dex Cool settlement check last week!!!!! Printed on the check was something like----sign this check and we are released from any obligation concerning repairs due to the dex cool issues.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mrvids said:
Got my Dex Cool settlement check last week!!!!! Printed on the check was something like----sign this check and we are released from any obligation concerning repairs due to the dex cool issues.
Well as long as the amount on the check covered any repairs; I guess you're good

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
The 2001 Grand Prix (3.8L Series II) was recalled for intake manifold gasket leaks years ago. I purchased mine new and had coolant issues from day one. But if you're not losing coolant, there's no issue. Dex Cool can be problematic if left unchanged for extended periods of time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts