GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know exactly when it happened, but I now have a pretty noticeable door ding, in the driver's side rear door. It's just underneath the door handle. You can really see it from a side angle; it's less apparent when looking straight at it.

Has anyone used one of the dent repair outfits that do all the work from the outside? They don't remove any panels or drill holes. They just somehow use special hammers or other tools and work the dent out.

I've always been curious about them, and the current ding seems like a good candidate for this treatment.

Any advice or experience (good or bad) before I give them a try?

TIA for the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just used DentPro of San Francisco on my Audi. A toolbox fell on the driver-side passenger door. The two dents (1" each, one inward, the other outward) are completely gone! I highly recommend them.

-- Pierre

·
Registered
389 Posts
We have two family friends who have "Car medic" businesses and highly recommend them. They do mobile dent repair from the outside.

Bummer but good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
So long as there is not a 'hard" crease, or, the area in need of repair is not too expansive, the dentless repair is about perfect. I've had at least 6 ding/dents of various sizes repaired over the last 7 years. Quick, easy and relatively inexpensive. A lot of companies will even come out to you. You're best bet, however, may be to check with your dealer to see if they use anyone in particular. Most dealers have someone coming in once every week or two to attend to their trade-ins and auction vehicles. You're more apt to get a better deal at the dealer, too, since they are already there to work on other vehicles. You can just drop it off in the morning and pick it up later in the day. The fee is usually dependent upon the size of the repair area. If you've got a good relationship with your service consultant, see if they'll "hook you up" directly with the dent repair guy. Pay him cash and avoid the middle man (dealer mark-up), because the service department will add a sublet mark-up. Good luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
My friend who does Car Medic is the "guy" who comes into several dealerships once per week.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had it done today.

It took the guy less than 10 minutes.

The dent has completely disappeared; no sign it was ever there.

There is a minute chip in the paint (1mm dia) which I will probably ignore. I think it will be less noticeable as a chip than if I try to touch it up with a tiny brush or one of those pens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to read that you're happy with the dentless repair, xcskier. You know dealers have paint guys that come in and do spot repairs, i.e chips, as well. They don't have to break the factory seal. I've had 2 chips repaired this way recently. You'd never know that there was a chip. Check it out before you let it just go (may oxidize, depending on the metal exposure), or, use the touch-up tube.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This type of repair is not necessarily from the outside - I had hail damage on the MDX I just got rid of, my insurance paid for Dent Doctors to come and fix the 30 to 40 pings I had in the car - on the doors and rear 1/4 panels they actually drill small holes on the inside door jams - they insert some metal device that they use to massage the metal back into shape, they then fill the drilled holes with plastic cap inserts/plugs that look like they would be there from the manufacturer. I was really amazed that this guy got all the damage off the car in one afternoon - there was one mark that was on a crease he could not get completely back to normal but overall I was very satisfied.

·
Registered
423 Posts
new dent :banghead:
i was excited until i read the part about hard crease. if it could be minimized i would be happy with that.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Schram said:
new dent :banghead:
i was excited until i read the part about hard crease. if it could be minimized i would be happy with that.
There was a nice dent right on the crease on our driver's door when it was delivered to the dealer. The paintless dent guy got it out and I can't tell where the dent ever was now. I have to go back to him since we have one now in the same place on the front passenger door from some retard that didn't leave a note or anything. :tard: If they are really good, you'll never know it was there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts