GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was visiting a nearby GMC dealership. Sales manager had just gotten back from a meeting in Dallas, TX. He said they announced that indeed a Denali version of the Acadia is coming out for 2009. Could not confirm if it would have a V8 engine. One other thing, concerning the Platinum Ice color. Said GM is having problems making the color, so would be postponed until fixed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm sure the Denali version will rock! But, I can't wait that long & I'll be plenty happy "leaping" 21 years into the future from the 1987 Blazer I'm driving today :blob: I read some time ago that GM was developing a higher output engine specifically intended for transverse mount. Perhaps we'll see it next model year!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Smooth said:
I'm sure the Denali version will rock! But, I can't wait that long & I'll be plenty happy "leaping" 21 years into the future from the 1987 Blazer I'm driving today :blob: I read some time ago that GM was developing a higher output engine specifically intended for transverse mount. Perhaps we'll see it next model year!
Man I wish I still had my 89 s10 sport with electronic dash 2x4 4.3 fuel injection blazer.
What a truck that was. Wish I could've kept it another car at the same time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unfortunately the high-feature V8 development has been cancelled, a casualty of the new gas mileage restrictions imposed by Congress recently (per MotorTrend website). My guess the Denali version with get the direct injected version of the current 3.6L V6.

I would love the 5.3L V8 like in my current Envoy Denali but I do not believe the 6-speed automatic can handle the torque ratings of this engine (330 lb-ft).

But the direct injection seems to be a nice powerful engine regardless from what I have been reading in regards to its use in the Cadillac CTS.

Time will only tell...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Very cool. Skyhawk, did your sales manager happen to have any other info on what options/features the Denali version would include?

·
Registered
659 Posts
The current issue of Autoweek also confirms that GM has cancelled the new 4 cam "high feature" V8. I'd hope at this point that the Denali approach might be a slightly larger displacement version of the current engine (much has been written about this engine being designed to handle displacement variations from 2.8 through 4 liters) with direct injection and maybe a bit more aggressive gearing. The current engine's real challenge in the "up market" competitive world, is that it just doesn't have the torque multiplication to pull the 5000 lb truck at highway speeds without constant downshifts for either slight grades or any request from the driver for even slight acceleration. All three of those minor changes would address that and I believe would change the personality to what one would expect of a small V8. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine a 3.9 or 4.0L DI V6 making in the neighborhood of 320HP and 290lb/ft torque getting the same or very slightly lower mpg (16/23 maybe). However, if this is to be a 2009 model, its engine would have to already be on the GM engine roadmap. Any idea if there's a website out there that lists what's available?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Too bad Smokey Yunick did not have any kids working for GM?? Sounds like they need Bob Lutz' gear heads to come to the rescue!
The cheap solution is one of the newer generation of superchargers if the bottom end of the 3.6 and the 6 speed will handle it :blob:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jrc50 said:
Too bad Smokey Yunick did not have any kids working for GM?? Sounds like they need Bob Lutz' gear heads to come to the rescue!
The cheap solution is one of the newer generation of superchargers if the bottom end of the 3.6 and the 6 speed will handle it :blob:
The 6T75 transmission in the Lambdas is listed as good for up to 301 lb-ft. of torque.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Enclosed the link for the GM 2008 powertrains.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/08car.htm

The only option that would delight me is if they use the 5.3L V8 (all aluminum) mated to the Yukon/Suburban 6-speed used in the Denali/Escalade models, but I don't know if the "truck" version of the 6-speed tranny will fit. I really hope GM doesn't go wimpy and build a "badge only" Denali because I sure love my current Envoy Denali and it will be sorely missed (in terms of power) when I replace with the Acadia.

UPDATE: Ahhh, I forgot about the Corvette 6-speed (Hydra-Matic 6L80)! Mate this tranny with the 5.3L and I will be making arrangements to hold out until they build them!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
SEL said:
Enclosed the link for the GM 2008 powertrains.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/08car.htm

The only option that would delight me is if they use the 5.3L V8 (all aluminum) mated to the Yukon/Suburban 6-speed used in the Denali/Escalade models, but I don't know if the "truck" version of the 6-speed tranny will fit. I really hope GM doesn't go wimpy and build a "badge only" Denali because I sure love my current Envoy Denali and it will be sorely missed (in terms of power) when I replace with the Acadia.

UPDATE: Ahhh, I forgot about the Corvette 6-speed (Hydra-Matic 6L80)! Mate this tranny with the 5.3L and I will be making arrangements to hold out until they build them!
Unfortunately, putting the 6L80 in the Acadia wouldn't work as it is a longitudinal design, hence the 6L80 designation. According to GM Powertrain, the stoutest FWD/AWD transverse tranny is the 4T80 4-speed, good for 305 lb-ft, found in the DTS and Lucerne with the Northstar V-8. The transverse sitting LS4 5.3L in the Impala SS is hooked up to the 4T65 4-speed, which supposedly can handle 303-lb-ft, even though the LS4 puts out 323 lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Darn Geohawk, I always look forward to your posts but your're spoiling my day dreams of a faster Acada....but that helps me when it comes time to order my "normal" Acadia. Thank you for the quality information.

I guess the Direct Injection will provide the "special content" for the GMC Acadia Denali and Buick Enclave Super.

How about a rear air suspension? I really like that in my Envoy Denali because it provides a nice overall ride.

·
Registered
659 Posts
SEL said:
How about a rear air suspension? I really like that in my Envoy Denali because it provides a nice overall ride.
I would think that unlikely as the Acadia already has a state of the art (for a truck) multi link independent rear suspension that provides a very comfortable car like ride. The Envoy needed the air suspension to help isolate the ride of its heavy, solid truck axle. Its hard to imagine GM adding the complexity of an air suspension for what would effectively become minimal gain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I completely agree on both points.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thrumcap said:
Anyone know what the latest is with this?
no acadia denali or enclave super for 2009 at least.. :(
heres gm's website that shows the official additions changes and deletions for the 2009 M.Y. and all the lambdas will have the DI V6 standard..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts