GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a feel for the level of discount that would be reasonable for a dealer demo version.

I am looking at an 2008 SLT1 that was a demo. Around 5200 miles on it.

The dealer offered me the vehicle for 27,900. Options included: 19 inch wheels; Ultrasonic Rear Parking; Remote Start; Trailer Package.

MSRP was $36,318.
Invoice was $33,819.

Current discounts are $3,250.

Which puts the vehicle around $30,569.

The dealer offer of $27,900 give about and additional $2700 for the "demo discount" or around 8%.

Anyone have any insight that was tells me if the 8% is reasonable or not for a "dealer demo"?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Look for new!
Check the prices paid thread, Some good deals on NEW 2008's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The other thing to look at would be what the IN SERVICE DATE would be for the Warranty. Just a thought.

·
Registered
110 Posts
negative...
dealer demo's get beaten up.

Even if you wanted to go through with it I would demand a better price.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The price on a demo needs to be significantly lower due to the reasons stated above. We looked into a 2008 Outlook XR (similar to SLT1-2) demo with a few thousand miles and the total reduction was only around $4K. The dealer said we could either take the demo discount or the incentives, but not both- apparently there is/was some language for the incentives about demo vehicles up to a certain date/mile threshold. Needless to say, we didn't buy it.

I'm not 100% clear on your pricing. Is it $27,900 with ALL discounts, ot $27,900 - $2,700?

One way you are almost $10K off MSRP, this is not too bad IF the vehicle is in decent shape. Demos can either be assigned to a manager that likes vehicles and takes care of them, or to any number of people who don't care about them. It would not hurt to ask if the dealer has any internal records as to the use of the vehicle.

The other, you are in excess of $10K off MSRP. One way to look at it is the $2,700 would probably pay for a good extended warranty from a third party provider (shop for this also, don't assume the dealer will sell you the best one). Double check on all your warranty coverages and make sure this is explained in writing.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pricing was $27,900 with all discounts included. Warranty would start from the date I purchased the vehicle (at least that is what the sales guy told me).

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
tmmcadams said:
The pricing was $27,900 with all discounts included. Warranty would start from the date I purchased the vehicle (at least that is what the sales guy told me).
If you purchase an extended warranty, find out if it will be a new car warranty or used car warranty. Some warranties will say that it starts when the vehicle was first put into service. So the day it became a demo is the day the warranty started. As I said earlier in this thread, I would look at a NEW 2008 to see what deals you can get on that before pulling the trigger on this one, if you do get this one, make sure the warranty terms and writing are clearly identified as to when you take ownership, and the current odometer. You don't want to be SOL down the road because of a mileage warranty issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, this was the only 2008 in the dealer inventory.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a way for a dealer to do a trade with another dealer, for and '08 Have them run a locator for one. You may get lucky to find what you want. Try this link.
http://www.gm.com/vehicles/vehicle.jsp?xvxid=09_322 See what's local to you, or close enough to dealer trade. Most dealers will trade quite a long ways too. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts