GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need to make light of what could have been a very serious situation. But, there's a nugget of high importance here.

We knew this would happen sooner or later. Sooner arrived tonight. As we were leaving the WV cabin about 8:15 pm (get it, just dark), we got about 1-1.5 miles from the house and around a bend didn't see a pair of deer in time. They stared at Acadia and one got closer to get a better look...right in front. Thank goodness the speed limit is 35 and we'd slowed at a curve in the Natl Forest road, before hitting the deer. Airbags didn't go off. Deer got up and fur was flying as it limped away into the woods. We got out to look for the deer and to see how much damage there was to Acadia. Looked with a flashlight we keep in the glove box, and then at a gas station later...all looked ok at night and without good lighting.

To be verified in daylight in the morning...there doesn't appear to be ANYTHING wrong with the Acadia.
A - we'd slowed enough.
B - deer are flexible.
C - Acadia is tough, a bit flexible on the front end, and bumper was even with the deer's rib cage.

We are COMPLETELY AMAZED that there isn't obvious damage, we're not hurt, and the deer walked away.

Stay tuned for an update.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Amazing story. Glad (and hope) everyone and everything is OK. My wife hit a deer with her Lexus RX300 last fall. She thought she was doing 5 - 7 mph. It did about $2500 of damage to the hood, grill and left front quarter panel.

Kelly

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay. Hope you don't have any damage.

Mel

·
Registered
752 Posts
did the deer also walk away?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wow!! I really thought this was going to be a tragic story by the title. I'm glad everything turned out OK!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AM update:
As far as we can tell from close inspection this am, except for some deer fur/hair, there's not even a scratch on Acadia. All the body panels and hood appear to be in alignment, no cracks, no wobbling, no scratches, no dents.

Unless there's something broken behind the front end parts. Could be, but I can't tell. As I was driving to work, if there was damage, I suspect I'd hear some vibration, rattle, or something off. She's just as quiet as she was on Saturday.

Still, keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Wow, that's truly amazing! Glad to hear things weren't worse... whew!

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is when the articulating headlamps would be REALLY nice!! That is one of the reasons why i want an Enclave more!

·
Registered
306 Posts
You've proven the Acadia is even much tougher than the Acura MDX.

We hit a dear on I-81 near Va Tech in our 02 Acura MDX--no fun--$3500. Photo attached.

Acadia - 1 Deer - 0
MDX - 0 Deer - 1

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
tymj said:
002-

I love it! You have a picture handy for every occasion! :thumb:
I was a Boy Scout as a kid -- "Be Prepared" was their motto--still try to use it even as an old man!
Often have a pocket-size Cannon Digital Camera (Sd 700) in my pocket. An old photographer suggested I carry a camera--amazing how many times it has come in handy.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
002 - I carry a Canon SD630 around with me most of the time too. GREAT point and shoot ultracompacts!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
002 said:
I was a Boy Scout as a kid -- "Be Prepared" was their motto--still try to use it even as an old man!
Often have a pocket-size Cannon Digital Camera (Sd 700) in my pocket. An old photographer suggested I carry a camera--amazing how many times it has come in handy.

I always keep a small digital camera on me at all times as well. It very often comes in handy!

That poor MDX. Poor deer too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
kjf said:
002, how fast were you going at the time?

Kelly
72 mph. Deer came out from high grass in between North-South lanes on I-81 near Blacksburg, Va.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
002, so sorry that happened to you. Must have been a very jarring experience. To be fair, I suspect my Acadia would have had a similar fate at 72 mph! Not that I want to experiment to compare...ever again.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
OK, so I have to ask - what's the significance of 002? Not only is it your username, it's also part of your Vanity Plates...?

·
Registered
306 Posts
admin said:
OK, so I have to ask - what's the significance of 002? Not only is it your username, it's also part of your Vanity Plates...?
May be more info than you want [/color] . . ., but you don't have to read it!

About 35 years ago, Va came out with vanity plates. I went to DMV first chance and asked for my initial "B".

They said the rules required at least 3 letters/numbers. I didn't care for my 3 initials so asked "what's the lowest number I can get?" They said "001". I said "OK, I'll take it" and paid the $10 fee.

About 2 weeks later, I get a note in the mail saying "Your selection (001) has been taken, would you like the next number (002)?" I sent the card back with a "yes". After I got the "002" plate, I thought something wasn't right since DMV had said 001 was available when I submitted for it, so I called DMV HQs in Richmond, Va. The lady I spoke with said she'd try to find out what happened--I waited about 10 mins and she came back on line and said "I'm sorry we are not allowed to give out that information".

I had a friend who had earlier worked for me who had transferred to the Virginia Supreme Court. I called him to see what he could find out. An hour later, he called back and said that when the request went thru DMV, DMV passed all requests to their middle managers to see if the request had any offensive meaning, dirty words, etc. (I think they now do that with computer software). One of those middle managers decided he liked my selection and took it for his own car and sent my request back with the note (already taken) I received. The DMV senior manager advised my friend at the Supreme Court that I could have the original selection (001) back if I wanted. I told them that I already had 002 on my car and it was fine--I now have a story to tell instead of "I'd just ordered it".

The plate has been fun,--I don't know how many times I've gotten preferred parking near the front door of an event or treated "special" at hotels, etc. Lots of people have asked if I was someone "special" and I always say "no". Some believe me and some do not. When they ask "who do you work for? I just answered "the federal gov't". I've overheard people say things like "there's the Lt Governor of Virginia", or something similar.

One of the cutest stories was when I was visiting a freind in an apartment complex leaving directly from work wearing a suit. I was driving a Platnium color Porsche at the time with the 002 plate.

Two little boys were playing nearby and came up to me when I was parking and said "Mister, are you a Secret Agent?" I said "no". One said "do you have a license to kill?"

I said "no" again. They then said "who do work for?" I told them the same I had told others: "I work for the federal government".

The one one boy looked at the other and said "See, I told you he was a Secret Agent--he just can't tell us 'cuz it's a secret". I just smiled and let them have their fun.

Hope that answers you're question.

·
Registered
259 Posts
002 is sortof like getting your initial "B", since "B" is the 2nd letter of the alphabet. So, I think it was supposed to work out that way afterall! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts