GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State Farm estimates that 1.5 million vehicles collide with deer every year, resulting in 150 motorists’ deaths and $1.1 billion in vehicle damages. Michigan ranks second among the top ten worst states for vehicle-deer collisions. According to AAA of Michigan, deer were directly or indirectly responsible for approximately 60,000 car accidents last year in Michigan alone.

This is what the police and driving safety experts advise:

The worst thing you can do is swerve your car or slam on your car brakes to avoid a deer. It is far better to kill the deer than it is to seriously kill yourself or an innocent passenger or driver of another vehicle by veering into an oncoming car or truck or slamming your car into a tree. The best thing you can do is to slow down but do not brake sharply. Try to stay in your lane of travel.

But what if you don’t have time to safely slow down and avoid hitting the deer?

Hit the deer. A typical whitetail deer in Michigan weighs around 200lbs. A typical car weighs over 3,000lbs. In a contest between a car and a deer, the car will win. That is why Michigan State Police advise young drivers to “drive through the deer” and why public safety campaigns coined the phrase “don’t veer for deer.” By swerving to avoid a deer collision with your car, you put yourself and others in far more serious danger than you would by staying in your lane and hitting the deer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
don willems said:
It is far better to kill the deer than it is to seriously kill yourself or an innocent passenger or driver of another vehicle by veering into an oncoming car or truck or slamming your car into a tree.
As opposed to non-critically killing yourself. :)

Interesting read. I would have never guessed... all these years of speeding up to hit animals I was in the right (kidding). I would say in SUVs/CUVs we are in better positions to drive through the deer, but wouldn't these small, lower-profile cars essentially undercut the deer potentially sending it through the windshield? Maybe chances of that are very minimal... I don't know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We I would not say the same thing for a Moose. Some one I know hit a moose and it came through her windshield and shattered her face, shoulders etc. Horrible, horrific accident. If you see a moose slam on the brakes!!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My Acadia attracts birds. I have had one fly into my grill and one into my windshield. Other than leaving a mess, it didn't hurt the car. I have to admit though, I do stop for buzzards. I take country roads and they just hang out in the street. I can't bear not to stop, they don't move and I don't want anything that ugly touching my car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A deer can come into the windshield when you hit it no matter what you are driving. I have seen several deer/car accidents and a lot of the deer end up in the windshield because after they are hit with the grill/bumper then roll up the hood and into the windshield especially at higher rates of speed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
dfrank78 said:
A deer can come into the windshield when you hit it no matter what you are driving. I have seen several deer/car accidents and a lot of the deer end up in the windshield because after they are hit with the grill/bumper then roll up the hood and into the windshield especially at higher rates of speed.
Which makes me surprised that they encourage driving through the deer.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
dfrank78 said:
They say by jamming the brakes severely it forces the front of the car lower, and undercutting the deer making it more likely to end up in the windshield. If you maintain a level vehicle you are more likely to push the deer. That is just what I have heard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts