GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

My wife and I are stationed in Germany and are moving to the states (finally finished another deployment). We have been looking at the Acadia for a long time and have decided to become owners. Being overseas, we haven't really bugged any dealers due to the long distance barriers. We have a few questions if you don't mind helping us out. Oh, and we are fortunate to have a family member retiree from GM so we have access to the employee discount. The perfect picture would be for us to land at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and possibly have the Acadia waiting for us for our drive to Oklahoma.

1. Is it better to order one to fit our wants/needs? or attempt to find one near Dallas? Which is generally cheaper?

2. I know we can't expect a date for the Acadia to arrive at the dealership but, how far out would you order the vehicla in order to feel somewhat comfortable that it would be there?

3. Would the current BIG 3 financial situation have any affect on the building process. (ie: delays) (sorry if thats a stupid question)

4. Has anybody ever had USAA find a car to help negotiate prices?

Thats about it for now.....thank you for reading and/or posting replies. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and welcome home (when you get back)!

I think you can work a better deal by looking for one already built versus ordering. The dealers are always willing to "deal" on their inventory. Plus you are more likely to have it there waiting for you when you arrive.

The big 3 may have extended shut downs around the holidays when inventories are high. Some may even shut down for 3-4 weeks, although I haven't actually heard anything about the Lansing Township plant.

Maybe some other forum members can help you with the other two questions.

Thank you for your service, and again, welcome home! :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
AcadiaHopeful said:
4. Has anybody ever had USAA find a car to help negotiate prices?
I have not, although I did run some numbers on their website but found that the dealer gave me a better price on one off of the lot.

One thing I would definitely suggest is to buy a New Vehicle Pricing report from Consumer Reports. They only cost about $20 and are will worth it, IMHO.

Welcome home.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, I used the Consumer Report's New Vehicle Pricing report too. It has great information.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Get one on the lot, should be able to get a better deal, especially if they do an extended shut down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the information and the welcome homes. :)

I didn't know about the plants possibly shutting down during holidays, that could cause a problem if ordering. Thanks for that info :)

We are definately going to spend the $20 on what you suggested. We've never heard of that. Again thanks!

Since we aren't scheduled to leave Germany until March, that gives us time to keep a close eye on inventories in the Dallas area. I spoke to one dealer and they were willing to hold the car after purchase for as long as needed. Also, since we are confident now that we will be buying off the lot, we will probably wait till Feb/Mar time to get serious with any dealer.

Are any of you worried about GM financially? I guess I'm concerned about warranties and such if worst case they shut down.

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
AcadiaHopeful said:
Thank you all for the information and the welcome homes. :)

I didn't know about the plants possibly shutting down during holidays, that could cause a problem if ordering. Thanks for that info :)

We are definately going to spend the $20 on what you suggested. We've never heard of that. Again thanks!

Since we aren't scheduled to leave Germany until March, that gives us time to keep a close eye on inventories in the Dallas area. I spoke to one dealer and they were willing to hold the car after purchase for as long as needed. Also, since we are confident now that we will be buying off the lot, we will probably wait till Feb/Mar time to get serious with any dealer.

Are any of you worried about GM financially? I guess I'm concerned about warranties and such if worst case they shut down.

:cheers: :cheers:
Extended Warranties are held by a 3rd party. If GM goes down, hopefully not, the warranty will still be honored by the 3rd party. Some more info on this stuff under "automaker News" found on the main board/homepage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts