GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The closest GMC dealer to me has a saturn dealership on the same lot. How do you all think that would effect negotiation etc.
I have a feeling that they are more likely to stick with MSRP. On a side note does anybody have concrete numbers of when is a good time to purchase a car. I know christmas time is hit or miss but are there better times during the year to purchase? I will most likely special order one.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Unfortunately for you (assuming you don't buy in the next 2 days), everything I've read indicates the best months for buying a car are January and February. These months generally represent both the Fiscal end of years for auto makers and the slowest consumer months as most buyers struggle with paying off all the christmas/new years debt they charged. That results in slow sales months for big ticket purchases like cars and is why you see so many ads/rebates/incentives in those months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking late summer/early fall would be good with people more focused on kids starting school and paying off summer vacation,tuition payments. Also with the introduction of the Enclave as a 2008 model i feel that makes negotiation easier for the purchaser. But you are right this time of year is great time to purchase a vehicle if so inclined.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well today and tomorrow should be excellent days to buy a new Acadia, as far as negotiation goes.... much better than the 1st of the month. Of course you don't know what the March incentives are yet.

On the Saturn/GMC combo lot, I have no idea how that would affect things. I know that I spent all of about 20 minutes at the Saturn dealer before I dismissed that, as the prices are very similar MSRP, but it is clear that the Saturn dealer both won't take much (if any off) as a regular consumer, and as a supplier, they would only take off $1k - no negotiation.

I would suggest that you play GMC dealer against GMC dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mitchl said:
Well today and tomorrow should be excellent days to buy a new Acadia, as far as negotiation goes.... much better than the 1st of the month. Of course you don't know what the March incentives are yet.

On the Saturn/GMC combo lot, I have no idea how that would affect things. I know that I spent all of about 20 minutes at the Saturn dealer before I dismissed that, as the prices are very similar MSRP, but it is clear that the Saturn dealer both won't take much (if any off) as a regular consumer, and as a supplier, they would only take off $1k - no negotiation.

I would suggest that you play GMC dealer against GMC dealer.
You do know that GM Supplier pricing is a non-negotiable price, no matter which brand you are looking at, right? It's not a straight $1k (or other #) "discount", but varies from model to model, trim level to trim level, and by the options. Same with GM employee pricing (GMS).

So yes, play the GMC dealers against each other with MSRP, invoice, or whatever other numbers you want, but just don't expect them to alter the GMS or supplier price by even a single penny in either direction. They can't.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
admin said:
Unfortunately for you (assuming you don't buy in the next 2 days), everything I've read indicates the best months for buying a car are January and February. These months generally represent both the Fiscal end of years for auto makers and the slowest consumer months as most buyers struggle with paying off all the christmas/new years debt they charged. That results in slow sales months for big ticket purchases like cars and is why you see so many ads/rebates/incentives in those months.
While Jan and Feb may be good months generally, I don't think you can necessarily say that for a model that was just introduced. I'm betting that good things (lower prices) will come to those who wait for inventory to build on the Acadia. Yes, it will probably take awhile for that to happen because the folks on this forum are snapping them up left and right!

·
Registered
310 Posts
zielinab said:
You do know that GM Supplier pricing is a non-negotiable price, no matter which brand you are looking at, right? It's not a straight $1k (or other #) "discount", but varies from model to model, trim level to trim level, and by the options. Same with GM employee pricing (GMS).

So yes, play the GMC dealers against each other with MSRP, invoice, or whatever other numbers you want, but just don't expect them to alter the GMS or supplier price by even a single penny in either direction. They can't.
Well, someone better tell the dealers that!! Granted, under GM Supplier, the GMC dealers all say that the Supplier price is a given, but since Conquest is not eligible, some (mine and I have seen others here too) say they will match the supplier price, but write it up as a regular sale so that I can obtain the Conquest as well. In fact twice on the phone, mine has now stated he was fairly sure he could even get me invoice price (less than supplier price!) + conquest + bonus if I wanted something on the lot instead of waiting for my order. Unfortunately, to get the options I want, that would mean taking $5k in options I don't want (AWD, Sunroof, NAV), so the discounts won't get me back to where my SLT2 on order would be.

The $1,000 Supplier discount is what I was told by the saturn dealer would be how much they would come off the msrp, both saturn dealers in town told me that. Since just buying a GMC as a regular customer would net me the $1,000 conquest and a $500 rebate, I failed to see how the supplier did anything for me with Saturn. (Also, saturn has the $1,000 Conquest, but not for suppliers) -- that is how I eliminated Saturn in about 20 minutes (and that was just to get the sales managers confirmation of what the non-negotiated price was.) The gm supplier website does not provice a price for the Saturns, it just says "see dealer". Since we only have 2 here, I talked to both, got the same story. I don't understand it, because it puts Saturn at a disadvantage for anyone (especially Supplier eligible) who take the time to call the GMC dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mitchl said:
Well, someone better tell the dealers that!! Granted, under GM Supplier, the GMC dealers all say that the Supplier price is a given, but since Conquest is not eligible, some (mine and I have seen others here too) say they will match the supplier price, but write it up as a regular sale so that I can obtain the Conquest as well. In fact twice on the phone, mine has now stated he was fairly sure he could even get me invoice price (less than supplier price!) + conquest + bonus if I wanted something on the lot instead of waiting for my order. Unfortunately, to get the options I want, that would mean taking $5k in options I don't want (AWD, Sunroof, NAV), so the discounts won't get me back to where my SLT2 on order would be.

The $1,000 Supplier discount is what I was told by the saturn dealer would be how much they would come off the msrp, both saturn dealers in town told me that. Since just buying a GMC as a regular customer would net me the $1,000 conquest and a $500 rebate, I failed to see how the supplier did anything for me with Saturn. (Also, saturn has the $1,000 Conquest, but not for suppliers) -- that is how I eliminated Saturn in about 20 minutes (and that was just to get the sales managers confirmation of what the non-negotiated price was.) The gm supplier website does not provice a price for the Saturns, it just says "see dealer". Since we only have 2 here, I talked to both, got the same story. I don't understand it, because it puts Saturn at a disadvantage for anyone (especially Supplier eligible) who take the time to call the GMC dealer.
The supplier version (and the GMS version) of buypower has been updated with the Saturn pricing info. Go to www.gmfamilyfirst.com, and select "supplier pricing" from the dropdown box (for others who don't already know about it- sounds like you do already). It used to only say "see dealer", but I noticed last week that they FINALLY got it up.

It's great that GMC dealers can offer you a price equivalent to Supplier so that you can get the Conquest cash, since, as you said, you can't use Conquest with Supplier or GMS. From the forums here, it sounds like most people are doing just that- negotiating for Invoice +- a few hundred, and then piling the conquest and bonus cash on.

About the only thing a Saturn retailer could do would be to inflate the value of your trade, and who knows if there's even enough room there to get the same effect.

For what it's worth, I ran a couple of numbers on the Outlook we're planning to buy (XR, AWD, loaded w/ everything but Nav, XM, Touring and Captains Chairs):
MSRP $39330.00
GMS $36093.83
Supplier $37711.30
Invoice (according to Edmunds.com) $37101.00

Dunno if any of that helps. You'll have to run you own numbers on the GMC. We're buying the Saturn (at GMS though) for the dealer experience, and we prefer the styling of the Outlook. We've had great luck with all aspects of ownership of multiple Saturns in the past. I've attempted to deal with the local Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer, and they have gone out of their way to demonstrate that they don't want my business, so they're off the table.

YMMV

TZ

:)

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Good luck with the Outlook purchase, zielinab. Although we ended up liking the Acadia a bit better, we looked very closely at the Outlook and I would not have been unhappy with one. They are awesome CUVs!

·
Registered
48 Posts
zielinab said:
mitchl said:
Dunno if any of that helps. You'll have to run you own numbers on the GMC. We're buying the Saturn (at GMS though) for the dealer experience, and we prefer the styling of the Outlook. We've had great luck with all aspects of ownership of multiple Saturns in the past. I've attempted to deal with the local Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer, and they have gone out of their way to demonstrate that they don't want my business, so they're off the table.

YMMV

TZ

:)
TZ--

When you say "they don't want my business"......would you care to elaborate?

Here's our initial experience with the GMS program......We are able to purchase a vehichle via the GMS program (grandfather was a GM retiree).....We are looking at the Acadia.....closest dealership in our area has about 10 vehicles in transit....one of which is to our liking.....when we sat down to do the deal, it was clear that we would be using the GMS program.....we are leasing for 48 months, 15k miles/yr.....the dealer quoted a 52% residual and 8.7% rate (what!!!! GMACs base rate on this transaction is 7.2%).....i didn't call him on the discrepancy, but instead asked if the rate could be lowered and he said that the rate was set by GMAC and he could not change.....we agreed to get back together and work the deal when then vehicle arrived (per his suggestion)....but took $500 refundable deposit via our credit card to hold the vehicle (seems to be the trend in this area with dealerships)

The differential on the interest rates represents $50 more a month in pymts (or $2400 over life of the lease)....of course this is a deal breaker......but my only issue is why waste hours of boths our times.....i know the GMS program participation is voluntary on the part of the dealers.....so if you don't want to participate....why not just say so.....this is a retorical question.....i know why...

We'll see what happens when the vehicle arrives (within the next two weeks).....we've got four dealerships in a 20 mile radius....so there are other dealerships that are quoting 7.2% rate with the GMS program.....can custom order with them....just have to wait 8wks....

Just wanted to know the reason why you wrote them (Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealers) off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
optionstrail said:
TZ--

When you say "they don't want my business"......would you care to elaborate?

Just wanted to know the reason why you wrote them (Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealers) off.
Edit: I haven't written those brand dealers off completely, just this one particular P/B/G/Caddy dealer.
Opps, Edit again: This dealer doesn't sell Buicks, those are next door at another dealer. Never tried them, except for their used car lot, where they failed to sell me a used Buick I wanted.

Mainly it was the service department. Although if I remember correctly we weren't too thrilled with the sales staff either- like if you weren't there to drive out in a $60k Cadillac, you were bothering them. Also, they had absorbed the standalone Pontiac dealer from across the street, where I had already had MISERABLE service in the past, so who knows how many of those service people came over in the deal- maybe that's why the service sucked so bad.

I tried to use their service department three times:
-One time I wanted a new remote for my keyless entry. Was told that it would be $80 (high, but fairly normal I think) plus another $30 or $40 to "program" it. I happened to know that procedure, which I had had done on other cars at other dealers as a courtesy, was shorting two pins in the diag port literally with a paper clip from their desk, and holding door and remote buttons at the same time for a few seconds. I looked at him in disbelief and said, "$40 to stick a paper clip in the port and press two buttons?" He just smiled and said "Yep". I walked out.

-Second time, I was looking for the text of a TSB, and was told they would have to charge me $80+ diagnostic fee or some such. All I wanted was to see the text of a TSB from a different model Oldsmobile, to see if it might be relevant to a problem I was having on mine. I walked out.

-Third and final time, I was having a problem where the battery cable wasn't making real great contact with the battery- sometimes it would cut out or fail to start. Still would have accessory power, but not enough juice to run the engine, and the battery and alternator already tested fine. I dropped it off and asked them to replace the battery cable. I got a call later that day saying it would be $400! I picked up the car and got it the hell out of there. Sure enough, next time I took it for an oil change at a local independent shop, I mentioned the cable. They fixed it for free (just needed a new cable end). THAT is how you take care of a customer. I've given that independent as much of my repair, maintenance, and tire business as I can, and I refer as many people as I can to them. I won't go back to that dealer, nor will I recommend anyone to go there for sales or service.

Sorry that was a bit long winded. But that is what I mean when I say they didn't want my business. I tried to give it to them several times, but they apparently didn't want my money, or maybe they would have tried harder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts