GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my SLT2 in for its first oil change the other day and found that they are putting BG MOA oil additive in the engine. Their claim is that it will prolong the life of the engine. My concern is that this is an accepted practice by GMC and that there will be no long term affects to seals on the engine. Does anyone know if this is OK to use?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't know if there are any long term negative effects of the product, but I know that is is not part of normal GMC practice. The owner's manual clearly indicates that no additives are necessary.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think it just adds to their profit margin. The best thing you can do is change the oil on a regular basis depending on your mileage and the type driving you do. You may want to go to a synthetic, but even that is not necessary.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello, Dave. GM does not endorse or require any additives. Some additives are beneficial, but I know nothing about the BG line.

Where in NC are you and if I might ask, who is your dealer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please do me the favor and not mention my name, they are the only dealership in 30 miles. ;D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Usually something like that is done primarily to give the dealer more profit. I've seen that type of thing before at several dealers over the years. IMO, say that you do not want it added.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Snoguy said:
Usually something like that is done primarily to give the dealer more profit. I've seen that type of thing before at several dealers over the years. IMO, say that you do not want it added.
:ditto: :deadhorse:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I remember when I was a kid my dad would always have me help him change the oil in our cars. He always used Trop-Arctic 66 10W-40 and added a can of STP Oil Treatment in every oil change. ;D Ya wonder if it did more harm than good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts