GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
The dealer is putting in a new 3.6 engine into my 2018 Acadia, it has 16,000 miles on it. Has anyone with a 2017-2021 had this done and if yes, how did it go?

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
What happened to the original one?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hi All,
The dealer is putting in a new 3.6 engine into my 2018 Acadia, it has 16,000 miles on it. Has anyone with a 2017-2021 had this done and if yes, how did it go?
Wondering why they are replacing it?

I've seen nothing in other posts regarding a problem you were having? Was it a sudden failure of some engine part and breakdown? Noise? Sudden drop in performance?

All would be interested to hear what caused it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started out with a rough idle, dealer tried to fix it 3 times. They contacted GMC who sent out an engineer and keep the vehicle for a month. Next thing I hear is they are going to order a new engine and swap it out next week. The engine will have a GMC 36-month warranty. My motto is, it's the end result that matters, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Started out with a rough idle, dealer tried to fix it 3 times. They contacted GMC who sent out an engineer and keep the vehicle for a month. Next thing I hear is they are going to order a new engine and swap it out next week. The engine will have a GMC 36-month warranty. My motto is, it's the end result that matters, so I'm happy.
Rough idle . . . . What did they do to to try to replace before the decided to replace the engine?

Thanks for the feedback. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I first took it in they did discover it was idling rough and recommended doing a fuel induction system service, which I told them to do. The second and third times they couldn't find any codes but did check other items including the motor mounts and advised me to let it develop. This is what was done during the last service, see attachment. I drove it a little over 120 miles, and it still ran rough. I email the dealer advising him of the continuing rough idle. I received a call from the service manager about 30 minutes later stating, they will put a new engine in.
Last Repair.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
... I received a call from the service manager about 30 minutes later stating, they will put a new engine in.
Will be interesting if they tell you the root cause of the problem with the one taken out of the vehicle. Don't hold your breath, though. Dealer service may not get paid to tear down the engine and do a forensic analysis. The engine will likely be shipped back to the factory for their engineering department to do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will be interesting if they tell you the root cause of the problem with the one taken out of the vehicle. Don't hold your breath, though. Dealer service may not get paid to tear down the engine and do a forensic analysis. The engine will likely be shipped back to the factory for their engineering department to do it.
At this point all I care about is what is coming into my vehicle, not what they will do with the old engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a standard TSB regarding head casting problems in the 3.6 that allows coolant to leak into the front left spark plug well causing rough idling. The solution is an engine replacement

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I first took it in they did discover it was idling rough and recommended doing a fuel induction system service, which I told them to do. The second and third times they couldn't find any codes but did check other items including the motor mounts and advised me to let it develop. This is what was done during the last service, see attachment. I drove it a little over 120 miles, and it still ran rough. I email the dealer advising him of the continuing rough idle. I received a call from the service manager about 30 minutes later stating, they will put a new engine in.
View attachment 11044
What is the name of the dealer that is replacing the engine?

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
There is a standard TSB regarding head casting problems in the 3.6 that allows coolant to leak into the front left spark plug well causing rough idling. The solution is an engine replacement
If you know about this TSB, please provide a citation, or number for it and post to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow, talk about not solving the problem. Looks like the TSB was issued in 2018 and GM is STILL adding model years and engine variants to the list — for a problem (albeit very rare) spanning from 2007.

That's not too good for quality control.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts