GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer today for a tire rotation (because OnStar told me so) and ended up getting an oil change as well. I currently have 5500 miles on the Acadia.

Tire Rotation
I usually like to do my own tire rotations but since I'm leasing this vehicle I thought I'd let the dealer do work so everything is documented. The tire rotation itself was $19.95 which I guess is reasonable, $15.95 would have been better but oh well. After taking my Acadia back to the service area the service manager comes up to me and asks if I wanted to have my tire pressure sensors reset for $9.95. Guess after a tire rotation the computer won realize that the tires have been moved, thus it believes the front tires are on the back and vice versa. I decided not to get this done because the thought of a $30 tire rotation blew my mind. I'll just have to remember if I ever have an issue that the computer is confused.

Oil Change
As i mentioned above I have 5500 miles on my Acadia and going into the dealer ship the oil life indicator was at 51%. Knowing that I only intended to get the tires rotated. However after speaking with the service manager he talked me into a $29.95 oil change. The service manager told me that the oil life indicator was put into place as a way to encourage the consumer to use less oil. He said that he still recommends a 3k mile oil change not matter what the indicator says. Especially here in Texas with the heat. I've read a couple threads on here about the oil life indicator and changing oil and it seems like on average people are changing about every 5k miles. Does that sound right? I'd like to do my part to reduce the amount of oil we all use.

Gas
On another note after spending $54 dollars at the dealership I spent another $50 to fill'er up. How depressing!!!!

Later,
Ryan

·
Registered
71 Posts
The dealer we ordered our Acadia from gives $15 oil changes on any vehicle sold there (new or used). :thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pokesfan said:
The dealer we ordered our Acadia from gives $15 oil changes on any vehicle sold there (new or used). :thumb:
Thats awesome!!! Better than the quick lube places.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its depressing to see they are charging an extra $10 to relearn the sensors. We charge $16.95 for tire rotation and that includes relearning them because it only takes 30 seconds. I guess they pay the techs extra for doing it.

As for the oil, I do not like the oil life system. My personal feelings is that oil life monitors allow for too many miles on conventional oil. I change my oil at 0% on my Denali, however, I run Mobil 1 synthetic. All my other cars with conventional oil, get serviced every 3K.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ryan,

You can teach the DIC computer which tire is in each position after being rotated. The instructions are in the owner's manual, page 446, "Resetting the TPMS identification codes".

I just did this myself about 4 days ago. I have the full DIC in the SLT-2. I guess there are slightly different instructions for SLT-1 vs. -2, but I don't think it's very difficult in either case.

You do have to either let air out or add air while the computer is detecting each tire. So you need access to air (garage compressor or gas station) and a pressure gage. I used my trusty Black and Decker Air Machine in my driveway. It took a little longer, because the air flow rate out of it is very slow compared to a real compressor.

Once you're done you will have to reset the tires to correct pressure. Depending upon how you did it, either the tires will have too little or too much pressure. You'll see what I'm talking about in the manual.

The whole thing took me about 10 minutes, and that's mostly because of my slow Air Machine. It would be much faster at a gas station, or with a compressor.

It's very straight-forward, and the instructions in the manual were very complete and not confusing at all.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is correct, I forgot about that procedure because we have a tool that "excites" the sensor forcing it to broadcast its serial number. But yes, once you inititate the Tire Learn Mode through the DIC, the exterior turn signals will indicate which tire needs to be learned. It should be Left Front first, followed by Right Front, Right Rear and then Left Rear. The horn will chirp after each succesful tire, and the next turn signal bulb will illuminate. In order for the vehicle to recognize the change in air pressure for a particular tire, it must be an increase or decrease of 8 PSI.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information guys, now I'm really happy about not paying 10 bones for them to do the reset.

Ryan

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had this service done on Friday, and the price was $35 and change. Thanks for the reminder about retraining the tire pressure sensors, I forgot to do that. Maybe the dealer did it, but I can retrain and it won't matter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Acadia4VA-WV said:
I had this service done on Friday, and the price was $35 and change. Thanks for the reminder about retraining the tire pressure sensors, I forgot to do that. Maybe the dealer did it, but I can retrain and it won't matter.
You had oil and tire rotation for $35??? Son of gun!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
pokesfan said:
Man, I was wrong - it's $12 for the oil change. $15 for diesels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: first Oil Change

OK, here's my first POST !!!! James in Dayton, OH..... I get to drive my wife's '07 SLT, once in a while...... This last weekend, I did the Acadia' first oil change, at 1177 miles. (Yes, I know, I'm anal, I just have always sorta believed the old idea that changing oil soon, on a brand-new engine, is a good idea....)

Anyway, found the filter at AutoZone, Fram PH10060 (they did not have in AC Delco brand), $5.69, Castrol 10w30 oil, 6 gallons for $17.57 + tax..... OUCH, could've paid to have it done, cheaper, some places.....!!! Oh, well, wanted to do the first change, myself, just to see how hard it is, if nothing else. Takes a small filter wrench, not too hard to get to, but not the easiest I have seen..... Drain plug takes 13mm wrench, and I was able to slide under and do it, w/o jacking it up (but I am 5' 2", 140 lbs....)

Only bad thing is oil runs down a brace and the bottom of the engine, when you remove the oil filter. AND, the oil filler is down in a depression, you need a 6 or 10" long funnel, to fit down into it, easily..... (dumb design !!!!)

Thanks,
James
Dayton, OH
'07 SLT, white, loaded (ok, no HID lights, no AWD, but about everything else)

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
eokie1,
You should check the store flyers. Pep boys is advertising Quaker State and Penzoil for $.69 a quart after rebate. You could have saved some money on the oil. Keep an eye out for the sales if you like changing your own oil.

·
Registered
275 Posts
1. Buy your own oil / filter and keep the receipts. Logged.

2. Since there is no reason to jack this vehicle up, no need to pay someone to do it. Driveway > paying someone else.

3. Little degreaser spray to get any drippage off the front of the block after a filter change, little low pressure water spray / dump to rinse.

4. ...profit!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would rather negitiate $12 oil changes than do it. Ick. My husband feels the same way. But, I would rather paint my own rooms than hire a painter. To each there own. I readily pay Jiffy Lube for oil changes now. I usually try to scrounge up a coupon.

But, I just remembered how I had friends growing up who were twins (girls) and they both worked at Jifft Lube - and I don't mean in the front in short black shorts with a Jiffy lube shirt taking credit cards. They worked with the boys/men doing the dirty work.

I guess I could do it....!

·
Registered
148 Posts
im on Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 oil filter. Costs $40 an oil change and I do it myself.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic by local quick change for $48.00. Tire rotation by local front end shop for $12.00 every 10K. Tire pressure front is 40 and rear is 35. Also, your Acadia engine came from factory with Synthetic motor oil. Why do you think ALL race car drivers use synthetic oils in their cars?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a local Goodyear dealership that will change oil and rotate tires for $28. Have not taken the Acadia in yet so not sure if they will charge me to relearn the tire sensors or if they would even know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
468 Posts
teetertotter said:
Also, your Acadia engine came from factory with Synthetic motor oil.
Huh?? ???

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just getting rid of the old oil properly is a real pain - there are not places around me that will freely take the used oil for disposal - I just pay for the oil change for the convenience of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts