GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on the GMC site at the Acadias in my area and noticed something strange. For most (not all) of the SLT-1 FWD's I was looking at the stated MSRP was higher than the cost on the web site. The dealers were passing off $35,370 as MSRP instead of the $33,960 on the GMC site. Some Acadias were showing as $33,960. What's going on there? These costs were all before options and destination charge. Are they trying to rip us off, or is there a legit reason for the descrpancy?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Next time you go by a dealership, bring a digital camera with you and snap some photos. Could be local marketing money that they tack on? If a car has that local advertising tacked on, then I don't buy it. And you are sure there weren't any dealer add ons? You can always ask a salesman as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As Fenwah stated it's probably the advertising money tacked on. IT runs 1-2% of invoice based on region. It wouldn't really surprise me, though, to see dealers putting a premium on Acadias at this point. There's high demand and low supply.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The local advertising fee is something added to the dealer invoice. It should not affect the MSRP shown on the sticker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was not dealer add on's. I actually test drove one of them over the weekend and there were about $1,000 of dealer add-ons thatdidn;t show up on the "sticker" on the GMC site.

The other strange thing is that different dealers had different MSRPs. Strange.

I'm looking to buy later in the year and can get the supplier discount. I hope they don't add on too much when I'm ready to buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I was looking at the dealer inventory on the web site I noticed that if I searched for SLT1's the list would include both SLT1's and SLT2's, and the same thing happened if I searched for SLT2's. The same vehicles would be listed no matter which I search for. I just started scanning for the $33k or $35k prices to quickly know which the vehicle was. It seems that the search feature is not working properly.

Could this be what you're describing?

·
Registered
681 Posts
This search feature has always been the case, they put the vehicles that are a close fit then they add others that are not even close. I did this during a search for a Suburban last year during the Red Tag event and even if I put in specifically an LT with leather they would still show LS models with cloth, you have to look closely and review all the options to make sure you are choosing the one closest to your needs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The GMC website is deliberately lobotomized. Despite specifically asking what type of trim level you want, they ignore it on purpose.

You have to become very adept at discerning the options to know which was SLT-1 and SLT-2. I was only looking for SLT versions, and had to sift through the SLE's to get to the ones I was interested in.

Two tips: In the URL line, you can change the number of units returned in your search (up to 50). Look for the text: maximumCount=25, and change to maximumCount=50. Also you can change the "proximity" to look farther out from your search zip or city. Change up to 100 miles.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Something about this seems odd. If the window stickers look just as they should, I really think you're just getting confused on the fact that there's several different models, trims, and options, and because it doesn't seem 100% clear to most people using GM sites, that just translates into question when seeing them on the lot.

If the dealer was legitimately changing the MSRP and/or adding to it, you'd know it, with an addendum tag tacked right on, saying $xxx for this or that, on top of the printed GM MSRP. Otherwise, they can't change stickers from GM, and they are what they are--just take a closer look at what's on each specific one you're looking at, and I have a feeling if you went home and then built the identical thing on a GM site, you'd see it's correct.

Still, this is odd to me how people continue to confuse things like SLT-1 vs. SLT-2, and the various additional options, as I think they're pretty clear, you just have to actually look at the stickers whether in person or on GMBuypower. I've been doing it for months now, specifically with these vehicles, and never once had a question.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think the issue is more with the web site, you build your vehicle on the web with all the options you want, and they give you the msrp - then you go to Find your vehicle and they do a search of the inventory at local dealerships, you are expecting to get the vehicle you speced out on the web (or at least close) but the web site will basically show you every Acadia it has on the lot, not even close to the one speced out - I think his point was he was confused by the difference in price not realizing tha they are showing vehicles with more options that he requested - I do not think the sticker is being changed at all - it is just the way the web site search utility works.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually, when it comes to SUV's, it's always been specific to drive style--2wd or 4wd/AWD--and that's always at least on denominator. Such as, if you search for a FWD Acadia SLE, you'll also get FWD SLT-1's and SLT-2's, but even then it's child's play to see clearly by price and by the sticker what model it is--it says right on the top of the "sticker", what model Acadia, for instance, in GMBuypower.

It's a system that could be made to work better, yes, and I've said many times GMBuypower should work more like the Dealerworld system dealers have where they can pick and choose specific trims, specific options, colors, etc., and find what matches that within a specific radius, but it doesn't. That said, the GM system is still the best consumer inventory, etc. site in existence, so they get credit for that.

Just be a little more judicious in reading the stickers online and in person, and it's really not that difficult.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also look at how the destination charges are presented. The "build your vehicle" online GM sites have the destination charges included in the MSRP. When you go to a "locate your vehicle" site and view the sticker, the destination charges are not included in the MSRP, but are added after.

·
Registered
284 Posts
jcflorida said:
Also look at how the destination charges are presented. The "build your vehicle" online GM sites have the destination charges included in the MSRP. When you go to a "locate your vehicle" site and view the sticker, the destination charges are not included in the MSRP, but are added after.
Yes, another thing that can be a little confusing, but is easily recognized if you've been researching them enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
pete7919 said:
As Fenwah stated it's probably the advertising money tacked on. IT runs 1-2% of invoice based on region. ...
Isn't that a bogus add on considering that GM generally gives a dealer kick back for marketing/advertising per vehicle. Not sure if this has changed or not but I believe it used to be something like .03% of the invoice price.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought the window sticker and thus, the MSRP is printed and attached to the vehicle at the factory. The dealer should not be able to change it. Isn't it a legal document? They can only add a seperate sticker showing thier add on charges.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts