GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me, Recently on a ski trip, my brother who was driving ahead of me informed me that everytime I put on a front directional that sides daytime running light would go out. If the r/s directional is on, the r/s daytime running light goes out, and the same for the l/s. I asked my service advisor about this, and mentioned that other Acadia's I have seen do not have this problem. He stated that only Acadias with HID headlights do this. Has anyone with an Acadia with HID headlights checked this. Or is this a problem with my vehicle, and my service guy is just making excuses. Can anyone help. Thanks..... ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
W2KOP said:
Can anyone help me, Recently on a ski trip, my brother who was driving ahead of me informed me that everytime I put on a front directional that sides daytime running light would go out. If the r/s directional is on, the r/s daytime running light goes out, and the same for the l/s. I asked my service advisor about this, and mentioned that other Acadia's I have seen do not have this problem. He stated that only Acadias with HID headlights do this. Has anyone with an Acadia with HID headlights checked this. Or is this a problem with my vehicle, and my service guy is just making excuses. Can anyone help. Thanks..... ???
It's normal operation for the HID equipped Acadias. Due to the close proximity of the DRL to the turn signal, the DRL goes out when the turn signal is activated so that the turn signal is more visible.



#PIT4578: Daytime Running Lights Turn Off With The Turn Signals On - keywords DRL head headlamp headlight HID high inoperative intensity intermittent lamp - (Feb 8, 2008)

Subject: Daytime Running Lights Turn Off With The Turn Signals On

Models: 2007-2008 GMC Acadia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that the Daytime running Lamp (DRL) will turn off when the turn signal is turned on. This will only happen if the vehicle is equipped with RPO TVD High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. Example: When the left turn signal is turned on, the left DRL will turn off. When the right turn signal is turned on, the right DRL will turn off.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is the normal operation of this lighting system, and no repairs should be made to try to repair this. This is a design characteristic due to the close proximity of the daytime running lights to the turn signal which may make it harder to see the illumination of the turn signal during bright daylight conditions.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GeoHawk, I'm glad that I don't have another problem with the car! I've had my share... The only thing I don't understand is: the daytime running lights are the same on non HID headlight equipted Acadias as with HID equipted Acadias. So why do the DRLs only go off on HID equipted models??? Kenny ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
W2KOP said:
Thanks GeoHawk, I'm glad that I don't have another problem with the car! I've had my share... The only thing I don't understand is: the daytime running lights are the same on non HID headlight equipted Acadias as with HID equipted Acadias. So why do the DRLs only go off on HID equipted models??? Kenny ???
Sorry to hear about your problems. Actually the DRLs are different. On non-HID Acadias, the DRLs are the low beam headlamps (outboard lamps), with the highbeams being the inboard lamps. On the HID Acadias, the outboard lamps are both the low and high beams with the inboard lamps being the DRLs, hence the proximity issue with the HID equipped DRLs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again!!!!

GeoHawk, Thanks a million, you really set me straight. Now I can explain this to my wife (it's her car)... I had my share of problems, but we still love our Acadia... WE ordered it with every option, except a block heater. It is now at the dealer to repair 2 roof leaks, one in the foward sun roof, and another in the windshield. The roof leak was sooo bad that rain water was coming through the roof mounted controls and DVD player!!! The service advisor told my wife not to worry, that it was "fresh water" and that it shouldn't harm any of the electronics. Can you believe that. I called and asked him if I could pour fresh water into the rear of his TV set, he didn't know how to reply!!! I really hope this is the end of our problems!!! Kenny :eek:hno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Re: Thanks again!!!!

W2KOP said:
The service advisor told my wife not to worry, that it was "fresh water" and that it shouldn't harm any of the electronics. Can you believe that. I called and asked him if I could pour fresh water into the rear of his TV set, he didn't know how to reply!!!
Wow!! :crazy: Next time ask him what he thinks would happen if he's sitting or standing in the bathtub full of (fresh) water and his wife drops her hair dryer into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
That is some funny shiznit! How can some people think that people are that stupid. That is exactly why I am not a tech anymore, advisors think that it is okay to take advantage of women because they "dont know any better". That stuff pisses me off. I promise he wouldnt have said that to you, her husband. At any rate, cheers to your response! :thumb:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top