GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an ad for an Acadia on TV. The inside (high beam) lights were lit for the DRL. My low beam bulbs come on for the DRL's. What are the rest of you observing?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Should be low beams. Probably did highs on the commercial for effect. Manual states regular lights will be on at a lowered brighness during daytime and will change to full brightness when it senses darkness.

·
Registered
405 Posts
it actully depends on weather you have HID's. if you have HID's remember that they use the same bulb for low and high beam so they dont need the second spot, so they used it for DRL's. It sounds like you don't have HID's so you have a seperate bulb for low and high beams so it is going to use the low beam lights for DRL's to not blind other drivers. The one in the commercial has HID's.

if you look at my acadia and i have HID's the high beam spot is the DRL's and that is all they light up for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rollin Thunder -- thanks for the explaination. I don't know why I concern myself with stuff like that! ;D

·
Registered
405 Posts
bg1811 said:
Rollin Thunder -- thanks for the explaination. I don't know why I concern myself with stuff like that! ;D
sure. any time. I like to pay attention to detail like that so i care about all the little stuff too :cheers:

·
Registered
405 Posts
oicu812 said:
Anyone know how to disable the DRLs?
you can pull the fuze out but i don't know why you would want to disable them, they are an insurance break

·
Registered
542 Posts
it sounded from the manual like you could turn the light dial left to turn them off. Not sure that is true though as I do not have my car yet. My last car had them. I was told you could press in the parking brake 1 click and it would turn them off. Then you have the darn brake light on though. Wont mind on this car but my last car was sporty and I hated looking like a grann with my lights on during the day

·
Registered
53 Posts
Keith said:
it sounded from the manual like you could turn the light dial left to turn them off. Not sure that is true though as I do not have my car yet. My last car had them. I was told you could press in the parking brake 1 click and it would turn them off. Then you have the darn brake light on though. Wont mind on this car but my last car was sporty and I hated looking like a grann with my lights on during the day

Absolutely correct. Turn the knob CCW and the DRL's toggle off/on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think I noticed if you turn the knob one-click CW from the 'auto' spot (the pic looks like eyes) it turns the parking liights on and turns off the DRL. But, you are no longer in auto mode. Quite certain this worked.

·
Registered
405 Posts
the acadia lighting system is designed to always have some sort of light on. Wheather it be the DRL's HId's or parking lights enless you remove a fuse you will always have a light on.

If you have HID's you should take the bulbs out of the DRL's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the DRLs. I wouldn't want to remove the fuse.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can the dealership disable them? I had my dealer disable the DRLs in my Volvo and they did it free while in for normal service. Shouldn't be a problem since it is not a legal requirement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
DRL have been the law in Canada for years it seems. When I see cars without on a 2 way road I feel unsafe passing.

so I do not know what the issue is. I have had cars for 10 years and maybe have gone through 1 bulb out of 2 lights and I have about 170,000 miles or 260,000 KM on the car. DRL are a safety feature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Keith said:
Oh you Canadians. Just dont get the American spirit of adventure. :cheers:
I get it.... we crossed the country with 10% of the US population and built a railroad in the mountains etc... but I still like DRL :angel:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Some states (like PA) require that if you your windshield wipers are on while it is raining your headlights need to be on too - the DRL make this a non issue since they are always on. I guess I could Rain X my windshield and drive without my wipers on, let the speed clear the rain off the window. ;D

I would bet the dealer makes you sign a waiver if they were to disable the DRL, even though they are not the law I wold think they would not want to become part of any liability if you were in an accident. Maybe one of our lawyers could comment. :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I'm not sure that turning that dial to the left actually turns off the DRLs, I think it just keeps your headlights from coming on automatically when it gets dark out. Of course, I haven't checked this out, so I'm just guessing. Daytime running lights don't bother me in the least. I think the Acadia looks awesome with its lights on and I even turn on the fog lights whenever I drive, if I remember to that is. ;D

Just an observation... it seems that some people on this forum are picky about the strangest things on their vehicles (DRLs, Front License Plates, red GMC logos...) LOL :p Maybe I'm just too passive about my vehicle.

I'm gonna go hide now before those people throw something at me. :angel:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Charlene, I thought I was the only one who noticed that. It seems to be human nature that some people are happy most of the time, some unhappy. Everyone has the right to gripe, which is one of the things that makes this forum great. I've also noticed the other extreme though, people who rabidly attack any inferences that the Acadia is not the most perfect vehicle ever built. My family feel this vehicle is great, does everything we want, with a few minor blemishes here and there, although we haven't experienced most of the problems described in this forum. My wife says "It's only a car!" It's made by humans and machines made by humans, so we don't expect perfection. This doesn't stop the yearning for perfection though! Well, I gotta hide too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
FRW said:
I think I noticed if you turn the knob one-click CW from the 'auto' spot (the pic looks like eyes) it turns the parking liights on and turns off the DRL. But, you are no longer in auto mode. Quite certain this worked.
I ound that, but I still want the Auto on/off for the lights. I just want to disable the DRLs. Our last truck had auto lights w/o DRL.

I hate DRLs. Don't understand the purpose. If you can't see my vehicle in the daytime without headlights, you shouldn't be driving.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts