GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just drove a 2016 loaner wile mine was in for some service. I noticed that the vehicle had a bass speaker in the dash and was wondering if i can add one on my 2014 non bose system.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
All depends on how handy you are. A subwoofer system can be added to anything. Where you place the speaker and amp depends on the type of system you purchase.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I realize that this thread is a month old and the OP might not be following it anymore, but I just installed a speaker in my front dash. I also have a non-bose unit.
Anyhow, I went with a 3.5" JBL GTO329 2-way speaker there and bought a center dash storage w/speaker on ebay. Here's a pic of it;

I did not amp the speaker since I get plenty of bass from the door component speakers. Actually, I do not have an amp in the car at all. The new Sony XAV-602BT radio I've installed puts out a very nice sound and I feel there is no need to go any further with it.

The new center speaker definitely adds to the overall sound and I'm very happy with it the overall sound system I've built. I'm going for more of a rich, surround-type sound. Not loud.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I might be wrong... but the center speaker in the dash is a surround center channel right? My Bose system has the subwoofer elsewhere, and when movies are playing the dash speaker is the center channel.

My sierra has the Bose system too, but no DVD player, and does not have a center speaker. It does have a subwoofer elsewhere.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Bose system has the subwoofer elsewhere
The Bose subwoofer is located in the center console on the Lambdas. Amp is located under dash next to the parking brake.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Bayner66 said:
The Bose subwoofer is located in the center console on the Lambdas. Amp is located under dash next to the parking brake.
I realize that...

The OP stated that he / she wanted the center dash bass speaker, and I'm just saying that the Bose bass speaker (subwoofer) is not located in the center of the dash, that is a different speaker up there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nvr2loud said:
I realize that...

The OP stated that he / she wanted the center dash bass speaker, and I'm just saying that the Bose bass speaker (subwoofer) is not located in the center of the dash, that is a different speaker up there.
If you look on ebay, there is another Bose speaker/amp that is sold for these vehicles, and it fits in the rear quarterpanel on the passenger side...I think

Here's one of them;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12-13-14-ACADIA-Speaker-OEM-BOSE-SUBWOOFER-ID-15122608-TESTED-/262400686347?hash=item3d184cb90b:g:TZkAAOSw~oFXGoav&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
icehockeydude said:
If you look on ebay, there is another Bose speaker/amp that is sold for these vehicles, and it fits in the rear quarterpanel on the passenger side...I think

Here's one of them;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12-13-14-ACADIA-Speaker-OEM-BOSE-SUBWOOFER-ID-15122608-TESTED-/262400686347?hash=item3d184cb90b:g:TZkAAOSw~oFXGoav&vxp=mtr
However, that still does not address what the OP originally asked, and I quote.....

Hello all,
I just drove a 2016 loaner wile mine was in for some service. I noticed that the vehicle had a bass speaker in the dash and was wondering if i can add one on my 2014 non bose system[/color].

The OP wants to install a "bass" speaker in the dash like the loaner. I'm simply pointing out that the "bass" speaker in the dash is not actually a "bass" speaker. Sure the OP can install a factory speaker in that location, but that will not be a "bass" speaker. The bass the OP heard from that loaner vehicle was coming from a different location (The subwoofer is NOT located in the center of the dash)

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Yeah, the dash speaker is a little like the door speakers. It has a high and low range about the same, but is primarily used as midrange in the Bose system (or center speaker in 5.1 sound).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the dash speaker (after replacing the door speakers, of course) with a Polk Dxi350. *Dramatically* increased the range and clarity over the POS stock dash speaker.

For proper fit and finish you will need to cut a 3/8" thick spacer and mount it to the bottom of the bracket instead of the top. Otherwise the dash grill will stick up ~1/2" in the front. This is because the tweeter on the Polk extends above the cone.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
the POS stock dash speaker.
True... but the factory Bose system is still far far far better then most factory systems :)

I miss the good-ole-days of aftermarket massive car audio systems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried to post once already to this thread, but I don't know where the post went. Found the information here very useful, and have ordered a 3.5" speaker to replace the in-dash center on my wife's "new" 2014 Acadia. So far so good, one week into ownership, but the torn/damaged cone on the center speaker was annoying. YouTube showed me where the two bottom 7mm screws are to remove the cover/storage box in-dash, and it should be a simple swap once the speaker arrives.

Great forum, glad I found it!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
My speaker balance on the Bose is more to the REAR for better music surround and or listening. The BASS is unbelievable, when you want it, for me. Classical music with these BOSE speakers is what you want it to be....IMO For Oldies and pop hits.......nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I agree that Bose factory system is better than non-Bose factory system in Lambda's, and that's what I'd prefer in my next one from a value standpoint to avoid aftermarket labor cost and the aftermarket stereo nightmares many have had (even from dealerships,) mine is a pre-Bose advent (in Lambda's) 10-speaker 400 Watt system. With the addition of Polk and Pioneer speakers it's pretty good and doesn't distort appreciably even at full volume. 400 Watts isn't a lot, especially to drive 10 speakers, but I expect it's better than a stock Bose factory system. Cause, you know, in general Bose sux. ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
While I agree that Bose factory system is better than non-Bose factory system in Lambda's, and that's what I'd prefer in my next one from a value standpoint to avoid aftermarket labor cost and the aftermarket stereo nightmares many have had (even from dealerships,) mine is a pre-Bose advent (in Lambda's) 10-speaker 400 Watt system. With the addition of Polk and Pioneer speakers it's pretty good and doesn't distort appreciably even at full volume. 400 Watts isn't a lot, especially to drive 10 speakers, but I expect it's better than a stock Bose factory system. Cause, you know, in general Bose sux. ;-)
There is an old saying in car audio.."No highs, no lows, must be Bose!"

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's all in the TONE controls.........and balance............:nerd:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Low signal plus gain boost equals distortion in most cases. Also, it can't be flattened anyway with only a few EQ bands.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
From a factory point of view, I've had three Bose Systems now
-2011 Sierra
-2012 Acadia
-2017 Acadia

The 2012 was the best by far.

I have found that with any Bose system (home or auto) I've had to start at flat line with the three band EQ and raise both the high and low setting, and lower the mid setting. That produces a decent sound with no distortion provided I'm not a full volume. A lot better then the non-bose GM systems, but sure that a great one.

And just in case no one clues into my handle... Nvr2loud is from my car audio days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@Nvr2loud - Did you upgrade the factory Bose speakers? If so, with what and what was your result?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
@Nvr2loud - Did you upgrade the factory Bose speakers? If so, with what and what was your result?
Nope, I've left them completely factory. I'm done messing with car audio, there is just too much integration now between the stereo and the remainder of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts