GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed "dark spots" in your windows, it looks like there is a factory defect with the windows, just a bunch of dark spots inside the window , certain times on all of the windows and other times you don't see them, would this have something to do with the temp outside? Let me know if anyone else has noticed this problem.

2009 GMC Acadia SLT-2

Thanks

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
BMWhitesel, First of all, welcome to the forum!

What size are the spots? Are there just a few of them in a small area or many of them arranged in straight lines? The reason I ask, I've noticed that the windows of some cars appear to have dark blotches sprayed on the inside in very straight lines, but I see them only if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. I've never heard what causes that effect, but I'm wondering if that's the situation producing the effect you mention.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BOBBO said:

What size are the spots? Are there just a few of them in a small area or many of them arranged in straight lines? The reason I ask, I've noticed that the windows of some cars appear to have dark blotches sprayed on the inside in very straight lines, but I see them only if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. I've never heard what causes that effect, but I'm wondering if that's the situation producing the effect you mention.

The spots are fairly large, and there are many of them arranged in straight lines, and they appear on all the windows, even on the back window looking through the rear view mirror. It's interesting that you mentioned about the polarized sunglasses, I do have a pair of polarized sunglasses, Maui Jim's, and I do think I have been wearing them when I see the spots, I will have to take them off the next time I see the spots an see if they go away, I asked my wife, who drives the vehicle most of the time, and she said she has never noticed anything. I will experiment tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help and information, I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
BOBBO said:

Bingo!!! Yeah, your polarized sunglass lenses pick up the tinting in the window. If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the 'straightening' of the light waves that are reflected off of the glass. We need to have the Mythbusters investigate the phenomena......... ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dark spots are caused by the Polarized sunglasses. Tempered glass, when viewed with polarized sunglasses will look "spotted" or "blotchy". I dont know the physics behind it, but is it one way that you can check if glass is tempered. Try this as an experiment: When you see a car window that looks blotchy when viewing with your polarized sunglasses, remove them... the spots will go away. Also, try looking at a windshield, you should not see the blotches as the windshield in not tempered (it is laminated safety glass). Polarized sunglasses will also reek havoc with LCD displays, such as your cellphone, the car radio, and the gas pump, and many other displays.

·
Registered
423 Posts
xseler said:
Bingo!!! Yeah, your polarized sunglass lenses pick up the tinting in the window. If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the 'straightening' of the light waves that are reflected off of the glass. We need to have the Mythbusters investigate the phenomena......... ;D
im with you on the mythbusters thing!

·
Registered
487 Posts
It is the polarized glasses, I notice it in all cars whether they have clear or tinted windows so I'm pretty sure it's the tempering of the glass. Also if you have Nav you will notice your Nav black out every once in a while if you tilt your head just right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts