GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five year old was cut severely by a rear door latch. The latch is v-shaped and very sharp and the laceration which was shaped like a "v" required 3 stitches. the impact was very light and the door actually bounced off her hand and left no fracture and minimal bruising. has this happened to anyone else or is there a gmc recall that anyone has heard about?

·
Registered
384 Posts
No, I have not heard anything about the door latches being replaced due to lacerations occuring. I did have the door latches replaced due to not shutting tightly enough. Although, I'm not sure that ever was the reason for my battery issues as GM thought. I am so sorry to hear that happened to your little one. :(

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im wondering why there would be a recall on that. I would think if you shut any door on your hand you would get at least a cut if not a break. Sorry to hear the little tike had to go through that though. My 2 year old likes to play with the auto rear hatch. I will have to keep a close eye on it

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'll have to take a look and see what you're talking about with that.

Man, I still can remember when I was 4 or 5 (almost 40 years ago :eek:) and my mom slammed the car door on my hand. I think she felt worse than I did... Big ole Chevy station wagon...

·
Registered
251 Posts
jfencl said:
I'll have to take a look and see what you're talking about with that.

Man, I still can remember when I was 4 or 5 (almost 40 years ago :eek:) and my mom slammed the car door on my hand. I think she felt worse than I did... Big ole Chevy station wagon...
Acidentally had a door close on my hand a few years back when I had my Impala. OUCH :eek:
Pinched a nerve and it still tends to bother me today. But I consider myself lucky that it wasn't worse than that.

Can't blame Chevrolet though. It was my own dumb fault :sosad:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the same thought. Any door or rear hatch closing on an appendage can do some damage. I had a door closed on my once and it broke my thumb. Glad I have the auto rear hatch, safer for wandering hands.

·
Registered
812 Posts
ghanis65 said:
My five year old was cut severely by a rear door latch. The latch is v-shaped and very sharp and the laceration which was shaped like a "v" required 3 stitches. the impact was very light and the door actually bounced off her hand and left no fracture and minimal bruising. has this happened to anyone else or is there a gmc recall that anyone has heard about?
can you post pics pls.? is it that bad that it requires a recall? ???

sorry bout your kid...

·
Registered
956 Posts
It is very unfortunate that your child was hurt. No one wants to see a child injured or in pain. The very nature of a latch and how it works would make it dangerous if it is closed on a hand or finger. A ladder is not dangerous until it is used improperly and yet many people are hurt by using them every year. My point is that not everything can be engineered so that it is completly safe and no risk is involved.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about you little one, I have a three year old and I know how they can be. But if you want to recall the Acadia door latch don't you think every door latch on every car should be recalled. I bet if you got your hand slammed in any door at the latch point it would cut you up. Again I'm sorry to hear about you little one I know how it feels when they get hurt.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hope she does OK!!! Kids getting injured is the worst! My oldest daughter fell on a smooth edge of a mixing bowl (she was playing kitchen wooden spoon drums while I was cooking) when she was learning to walk - she picked up the bowl to show mama, walked a couple of steps and fell - it required stitches in her lip. She will hate me for the scar when she tries to do lip liner when she gets older - her lip line is all messed up. But, the silver lining? She had to give up her pacifier cold turkey because of the stitches - it was horrible for about 2 days then it was fine. Easier than negotiating it away the next time with my younger daughter!

Just remember injuries can happen anywhere and everywhere. Kids have accidents. It is unfortunate that this one happened with the door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts