GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to Acadia around beautiful Virginia? Be advised:

In what can only be described as a shameless money grab, the Commonwealth of Virginia has actually added a TAX to traffic fines.
You heard me right: effective 1 Jul 07, you roll a stop sign, in addition to your 'normal' fine, say $75, you are assessed an astounding $1,050.00 'Civil Penalty.' That's right: One thousand, fifty dollars, American + the regular fine for running a stop sign! Forgot your turn signal? That's $1,050.00 + also. Yellow light? Another $1,050.00 +. It gets better - speeding is $1,550.00 + the regular fine & court costs. Flat unbelievable.

These clowns cited a 60 million dollar 'transportation shortfall' for the reason for the legislation. It is really a glaring example of abuse of power.

In most respects, Virginia is a fine place, but politically it is an utter cesspool, that most citizens are justifiably ashamed of.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yup mentioned that in another thred and thought about making anew thred, my parents are lawyers here and they told me to slow down. I hate that the only reason their doint it is to pay for the new roads which all they are doing it makeing it a night mare to go any ware .

ALSO DUIS ARE 3000+ JAIL TIME AND LICENCE SUSPENSION.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I actually agree with the DUI fines and suspension...it should be even higher!

·
Registered
123 Posts
DUI'S should be 5,000 + fines + permanent supension of license + 5 years of community service picking up garbage on the hwys on first offense no exceptions. there is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for driving drunk ABSOLUTELY none.

i hope paris hilton and other dui felons are reading this.

oh yeah jail time is a must...... paris hilton didnt get enough IMHO.

·
Registered
362 Posts
MsS42 said:
i hope paris hilton and others dui felons are reading this.
Paris Hilton? Read? Does not compute!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Danger in Virginia --- ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I don't know where you got your info from but this is what was passed - Might be extreme but maybe its about time? They are "Laws", not rules. LOL

HOUSE BILL 3202/CHAPTER 896
CIVIL REMEDIAL FEES
New Virginia Code § 46.2-206.1

(7) Fee schedule. The civil remedial fees are as follows:
(a) Driving on a suspended license: $250 to the court upon conviction, with two additional payments of $250 each due to DMV, one within 14 months of conviction and the other within 26 months of conviction.
(b) Reckless driving: $350 to the court upon conviction, with two additional payments of $350 each due to DMV, one within 14 months of conviction and the other within 26 months of conviction.
(c) DUI and related ofenses (§§ 18.2-266, -266.1, 46.2-341.24): $750 to the court upon conviction, with two additional payments of $750 each due to DMV, one within 14 months of conviction and the other within 26 months of conviction.
(d) Other misdemeanors, “Any other misdemeanor conviction for a driving and/or motor vehicle related violation of Title 18.2 or [Title 46.2] that is not included in one of the preceding three subdivisions”: $300 to the court upon conviction, with two additional payments of $300 each due to DMV, one within 14 months of conviction and the other within 26 months of conviction.
(e) Felony convictions, “Any felony conviction for a driving or motor vehicle-related offense under Title 18.2 or [Title 46.2]”: $1,000 to the court upon conviction, with two additional payments of $1,000 each due to DMV, one within 14 months of conviction and the other within 26 months of conviction.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jfencl said:
MsS42 said:
i hope paris hilton and others dui felons are reading this.
Paris Hilton? Read? Does not compute!
TRUE lol... with all the money that dumb chick has you would think she'd have a driver rather than drinking and drivers... another pet peevs.... old folk i mean olddddddddd in resturants drinking then go get in the car and drive WTH is this all about. they already have reflexes slower than molasses and then to add alcohol on top of that. i dont get it. i make sure i leave b4 their happy axxes so they dont hit me getting out the darn parking lot.... just unreal

·
Registered
405 Posts
there tuff on reckless driving charges her too.

if you you 20 mph over the posted speed limit RECKLESS DRIVING

if you go over a parking block RECKLESS DRIVING

if you park on city grass except for emergencys RECKLESS DRIVING

if you accelarate fast EVEN TO PASS AND MURGE "RECKLESS DRIVING"

the list goes on and on

but your right about the dui.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i am not sure were you got your info from but my parents are lawyers in norfolk and they both told me about the raised fines being 1500 for speeding. Maybe they told me this to slow me down. ;D

but it worked on average i go 75 mph on a freeway Just because, but they told me to slow down so i set my cruise control to 74 ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
681 Posts
From an article in USAToday:

Virginia is for lovers, or so the state slogan has declared since 1969. Starting Sunday, Virginia also will be the home of the $3,000 traffic ticket.

In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.

The new civil charges will range from $750 to $3,000 and be added to existing fines and court costs. The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.

Virginia's traffic law is one of several thousand new state laws that take effect Sunday. Jan. 1 and July 1 are the most popular dates for state laws to become official.

July 1 is especially popular for new taxes and fees because it's the start of the budget year in 46 states. For example, Arkansas will cut its sales tax on groceries from 6% to 3% Sunday.

Virginia's new traffic penalties are expected to raise $65 million a year and are part of an effort to improve the state's roads without raising taxes.

A first-time drunken driver will face a $2,250 civil penalty, plus fines and court costs that typically run about $500 or more. Driving without a license? That's a mandatory $900 civil penalty, in addition to the ordinary $100 for a fine and court costs.

"It's outrageous," says traffic court attorney Thaddeus Furlong of Springfield, Va. "When Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class find out what they have to pay, there's going to be a backlash like you've never seen."

Some other states impose extra civil penalties for traffic offenses, but the cost is usually $100 or $200, Furlong says. "What sets this apart is the Draconian size of the civil penalties," he says.

Another difference: The civil penalties apply only to Virginia residents, not out-of-state drivers. Virginians must pay in three installments over 26 months or lose their licenses. The state Legislature didn't think it could enforce the extra penalties in other states.

Motorist club AAA Mid-Atlantic supports the new penalties.

"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely. Maybe this will," says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.

He says the new law will help reduce the nearly 1,000 traffic deaths the state records annually.

"We wish motorists didn't have to pay more, but the fact is Virginia's transportation trust fund is broke," Anderson says.

Other new laws or fees around the USA:

Cigarette taxes. Alaska, Connecticut, Indiana, New Hampshire and Tennessee will raise their levies Sunday. The tax rises in Delaware on July 31 and in Hawaii on Sept. 30. "This is a great development because we know this will reduce smoking," says Peter Fisher, vice president for state issues at the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids of Washington, D.C.

Child safety. Florida will punish adults by up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine for leaving young children unsupervised in a car for more than 15 minutes. Tennessee will require that kids wear helmets when riding off-road vehicles until they're 18 and bar them from buying fireworks until they're 16. California will ban junk food in schools.

Elvis. Tennessee's Legislature approved turning Graceland into a "Tourism Development Zone." If the Memphis City Council approves, Graceland's owner, CKX Inc., will get tax breaks to help build a $250 million convention hotel and visitors center near the former home of pop legend Elvis Presley.

---------------------

Below is a PDF copy of the new Civil Remedial Fees inacted in VA. What is not told in the above article is that one of the state delegates (Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield)), who sponsored this bill is a Senior Partner in a "traffic law firm" (Albo & Oblon, LLC) specializing in defending individuals in their litigation of traffic offenses - I would say that he should be seeing a significant increase in business with the passing of these new laws >:D now this guy is abusing his civic duties to line his own wallet. :nono:

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
All their doing is making it a night mare to go any ware in va because the roads are all under construction, and it stupid stuff like widening Shore Dr which has been a two land road for as far back as i can remember 45 years and never had a problem, but now a lane i blocked and it's IMPOSSIBLE to go dovn thar road at any time, during rush hour o will sit there in park for an hour, 64 is also getting lanes but they have to block lanes to do it so in some spots it down to ONE lane. But the road system here is TERRIBLE, and there fixes arent really fixing anything but making it a nightmare to go any ware for the next 2 years, and the fact that i have to pay for the nightmare is just awful.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
All their doing is making it a night mare to go any ware in va because the roads are all under construction, and it stupid stuff like widening Shore Dr which has been a two land road for as far back as i can remember 45 years and never had a problem, but now a lane i blocked and it's IMPOSSIBLE to go dovn thar road at any time, during rush hour o will sit there in park for an hour, 64 is also getting lanes but they have to block lanes to do it so in some spots it down to ONE lane. But the road system here is TERRIBLE, and there fixes arent really fixing anything but making it a nightmare to go any ware for the next 2 years, and the fact that i have to pay for the nightmare is just awful.
All you have to do is behave yourself :angel: and you won't pay a dime!

It's ironic, I could drive through VA and speed and all I would get is the basic ticket - nice way for VA to treat its own residents. :crazy:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah sounds like you just need to slow your :bootyshake: down and deal with it. :) The article clearly states that they are doing this becuase the transportation fund is busted. So leave the fines as is and deal with the roads for much longer until they can figure out an alternative way to fix it, or accept the new fines and maybe you'll get your new roads sooner.

Sure easy for me to say being here in Illinois, but you have to look at the positive in it. Save lives, more respectful and careful drivers, and better roads to come! :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
What's ironic about this is that numerous studies have shown that it's the speed differentials that cause the most accidents, not speeding by itself. So if everyone goes 80, no problem. In fact, inadequate speed is what causes more accidents if you look at the studies, but no cop will ever ticket you for going slower than the limit, or even going slower than the flow of traffic, which is what is most dangerous.

At the very least, going slower in the Acadia will improve your gas mileage ha ha!

·
Registered
683 Posts
That statement doesn't even make sense...a speed differential is simply put as traffic flow going 5 over the limit and then SPEEDERS doing more than that! So use the law to force all the speeders to slow down equal to the rest of us and there will be no more speed differentials to speak of.

I'm sorry but I simply can't believe that speeding in and of itself does not cause more accidents. Over confident drivers with less time to react in an emergency situation due to speeding does not spell S A F E !

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wish they would pull over slow left-lane drivers who never move over!

·
Registered
251 Posts
johnway said:
"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely.", says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.
I think one of the things that makes America great is that it's all about having the freedom to choose. And it seems to me that there are a number of available choices:

1) Choose to continue supporting your local politicians. This is most easily done by choosing to drive insanely, break traffic laws and pay exorbitant fines, thus adding your contribution to the pork barrel. Oh yeah, and don't forget to vote for them again in the next election too.

2) If you voted against them and wish to get away from them and the crazy dolts who supported them (not to mention the fines too), you can choose to move to another state.

3) You can choose to just obey traffic laws.

Maybe the fines are insane. The politicians, well, they and the people who support them are even more insane. But the thing that amazes me most is how it always seems that, for the most part, people in general consider number 3 to be the most insane choice of all. :crazy:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to make everyone happy...

Utah is trying to pass legislation to raise the speed limit to 80 in rural areas. As part of the "law package" (for lack of a better term coming to mind), it will allow patrolman to cite you for "going too slow in the left lane".

Essentially, it will be an autobahn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn ) in Utah up and down I-15.

Yeah!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
maybe i will go over seas to germany and not have to worry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts