GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I ordered a 2009 Acadia the beginning of August. After weeks of waiting, it finally came in today! My wife and I were very excited, but things didn't go well. We ordered what we thought was the factory installed Headrest DVD.

Our dealer called us to tell us it is in and it just needs to be "prepared" for pickup, so we could come in today to get it. I asked him to check if the DVD was installed. He called us back to say that they weren't, but it shouldn't be a problem (after going back and forth about not getting them, since they don't provide Video in except in the headrests, they just installed them, since it was on the sticker ). They put me in touch with Finance to get final numbers (since it has changed due to GMS not being in effect). The finance guy ended by saying "I don't think the car will be done with the DVD install today." We asked if we could still come by and look and he said yes. About 10 minutes later, my salesperson called to say it wouldn't be ready today (probably Monday). I told him that we would stop by to just take a peak. He said, well, I don't think you can, I will have to get back to you in 20 minutes.

At this point, I was starting to get suspicious that something was going on. He said he had some customers he was dealing with and that he would get back to me. Well, my wife and I already decided we wanted to get down there to take a look, so we headed out without waiting. We got a call from our salesperson half way through our trip saying that if we wanted, we could take a look (good thing, we were half way there).

Well, we got there, and as he takes us to the car, he said, he was having a bad day....There was an accident with the car. I asked him if that is why he original said we couldn't see it, but he said it had happened 5 minutes prior. Essentially, while they were installing the headrest DVD units, they had the tailgate open (why, I don't know), and one of their worker trucks backed into it (denting it, and bending it enough that it wouldn't close).

They told us that they were going to find another 2009 of the same color (with power lift gate) to swap the tailgates and it will be as good as new.

When asked about the VINs, they said it wouldn't not be a big deal (even know the VIN will not match).

My wife and I aren't really excited about this, but we are stuck (we haven't paid anything yet, though). Wait 6 more weeks for an order (possibly no GMS). Get another car (but then we are going to pay for features we don't want, since we want MOSTLY high end, minus some stuff, + headrest DVD).

One thing I was thinking was asking them to give us an extended bumper to bumper warranty (no deductible), that way, we have 5 years to find any issues with their install, if there are any (or if there was other damage we can't see).

:banghead:

This is so frustrating...We wanted to bring our car home today!!!

What would you do?

·
Registered
347 Posts
CNR,
In my opinion, it is essential for a number of reasons to ensure that the VIN's match. I'm obviously not privy to all of the fact of this incident, but I personally would be reluctant to allow them to do anything that would cause the VIN's not to match, and especially on a new vehicle. You came to this deal in good faith and have every intention of honoring your financial commitment, so to me it is incumbent upon them to make you whole.

If that means satisfying the repair issues (within a "reasonable" period of time) I would hold their feet to the fire. If they balk in any way, I would threaten to walk out on the deal and place another order. Peace of mind is something that you can't quantify, but it is very important.

If you feel more assurred by working a deal with them, allowing them of provide you with an extended bumper to bumper warranty at no charge (given their carelessness), then by all means - go for it. It all depends on your comfort level and if you have confidence that they will keep their word.

Please be sure, however, that you are aware of ALL the damage issues as a result of this incident. If it is not properly documented or recorded in some way, you may have difficulty in the future proving damage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, their options are fix the dent/damage (which isn't really possibly), replace the entire liftgate/door (which would make the VINs not match), or replace the entire car.

Since we don't own the car (we just have the 100 deposit down), they really don't have any obligation to do anything. What is crazy is, that if we don't buy it, someone will, thinking it is perfect, even though the VINs will not match.

BTW, when I asked about the VINs, they said "Oh, we will not it in the computer, so it will not be a worry for service." My wife and I are very frustrated about this....We are not the kind of people that like to cause problems, but when you are paying $43k on a car, it better not come with baggage!

As for repair, they said they would repair it if there were any problems ("and don't worry, we have been around for 50 years, so we should be around for 50 more"). But, I have no reason to believe we will be down the street from (well, 20 minutes) forever.

I think the "deal" is just a way of us getting our car sooner and making us feel better. The idea that there could be damage we don't see (maybe the hit to the open tailgate torqued the body in a way we cannot see or detect right now) is really bothering us, even though it is very likely that it is just a ding in the door and everything can be fixed with a new door.

My extended search (going to gmfamilyfirst, doing an inventory search, changing to 2009 and changing the number of results, radius, etc), didn't find anything that was a reasonable match.

Actually, one thing we were thinking, although it may be unreasonable, is to ask for a different car at our car's price. We basically ordered everything but the 19" tires, cooled seats, Overhead DVD, and "On the Road Package." Most SLT2 (AWD) with everything else includes one or all of these (that we have found). We did find the exact car we need (color and everything) only about 20 miles away, but it was missing the towing package (which is not something that can be added later, so we aren't willing to budge).

Is there a way to do more specific searches then the url trick and having to go dealer by dealer to see what they have (at least search on SLT2 + AWD + COLOR?)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Your mention of the "unseen" damage issue was of concern to me as well, although I did not post it. When you couple that with the VIN issue and other potential concerns, I would be reluctant to just go along.

I can appreciate the fact that you are not really inclined to get into a major debate with your dealership, and you should not have to. No one wants to have to deal with situations such as this because they want the car buying process to be more joy than struggle. But the reality is that you have to constantly "push" to be treated with respect and get the service that you are entitled to. The damage to your brand new car, which you waited so patiently for, was the result of their negligence and they should do whatever is necessary to make you whole. If that entails placing another order for you, then so be it.

I do not make those statements lightly because I too am being faced with similar decisions that pit me against the dealership. In my case I feel they made errors (or even falsehoods) that changed the "mood" of my attempts to make this significant purchase. I am not happy about having to be so vigilant and dogmatic about each detail of this transaction, but it's gaulling for me to just let it pass - at my financial expense.

Having said that, you are in the position where you should decide what is most important. Yeah, I understand that if you back out of this deal you may lose the GMS incentive, not to mention that you will have to wait an additional 6 - 10 weeks. And, as you point out, you have to weigh the issue of someone else ending up with a damaged vehicle with non-matching VIN's down the line (or hidden damage that, although appearing minor, might have affected the vehicle structurally).

Well, someone, if not you, will end up with that vehicle. The onus is not on you to warn those individuals because you have no way of knowing who they are or how you could effectively inform them. The moral and legal obligation IMHO would be the dealership or whoever is holding the paper on that vehicle. Although this kind of thing happens all the time, you have no obligation to "take one for the team." If you don't feel comfortable, dump it and let the dealership sort it out. If they make concessions that you feel comfortable with, then by all means, go for it.

As far as checking inventories elsewhere: You might be better served by some of the Moderators or more senior members who have a better working knowledge about such things. My limited experience has been to use the GM website and manipulate the location in and around your address or zip code. I have gone as far as 400 miles away to find a vehicle when I was doing the search thing (and I found an exact match to what I wanted). I would have gone through with the process had the local dealership with whom I was working agreed to ship it here (I could have even paid for the shipping, which was much less that what the dealership wanted to charge). But that never came to fruition because I dumped the dealer for another reason.

Point is, you should seriously consider alternatives to taking the vehicle in question if you have any doubts, or, you should suppress your concerns (after considering all the positives and negatives) and decide what you can ultimately live with . . . comfortably.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would not take the vehicle. :eek:hno:
Find the closest fit to what you want, and go for GMS price.
IMO.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I would not take the vehicle. :eek:hno:
Find the closest fit to what you want, and go for GMS price.
IMO.
:ditto: Door hinge area is probably bent and deformed too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, we are about 110% sure we are going to walk away. The GM websites are a pain to use for searching, but I wrote a quick and dirty web crawler (quick and dirty, meaning, not even usable for someone else to try, it probably wouldn't work) to find me all the cars in my area (50 dealers wide) of a given color/price.

We found a perfect one in the same color (Deep Metallic Blue), but it was missing towing, which is not something we want to give up. We found another one, that was red (we hadn't seen the red before, so we drove to see it) and it was awesome, but had the center console (which was big and ugly). So, we finally settled on a Red Jewel one about 40 minutes away that has everything we want minus the HID (which we could upgrade to) or the HUD (which is more of a toy for me, not a necessity). We heard good things about this dealer, so rather then having my current dealer (who seemed a little sneaky about the damage) have the car shipped to them, we are just going to go to the dealer that has the car and buy it from them...

We will see how that goes.

Then we can drive our new car to the original dealer to ask for our $100 deposit back......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that mean? We just felt that the dealer had no information. And when this happened, we basically forced them into telling us about it, because we said we wanted to see the car, even though it wasn't going to be ready for pickup...ARGH...

·
Registered
347 Posts
You shouldn't feel any regret. You followed your instincts and discovered something that they were not prepared to tell you at that time . . . if ever. I'm guessing they would have tried to either repair the damage and keep you at arms length until they finished, or would do something cosmetic and feign ignorance. I know that sounds a little strong, but I have seen worse. :sosad:

You are probably doing the right thing and you ultimately will feel better in the long run. ;D Believe me, they will find a way to pass it off to someone else. That does not mean they are being malicious or reckless in eventually selling it to someone else (given the description of the damage you provided, I would be inclined to think whatever damage occurred would not affect safety issues with the car . . . that is, if the frame is not bent or the hinges damaged, bent, or the welds broken). The next person probably would be totally unaware of what occurred because I doubt anyone at the dealership would tell them (unless they offered it for a lower price as a result of the damage). ::)

But, in this case, you were fortunate enough to discover what really occurred, so consider yourself lucky. You had a choice which was to demand an "Undamaged New From The Factory Automobile". You should not take anything less. :thumb:

Happy Driving! ;D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it possible to contact a regional GM manager? I would insist on a new factory ordered Acadia and demand that they include employee pricing on the deal, since this is no fault of yours.

If you're lucky, this will get elevated to the right person and GM could move your order to the front of the line and you would be able to take delivery of your Acadia by 9/30/08, when employee pricing ends.

I would not take delivery of the damaged vehicle. Hell, I'm the kind of person that would pass on a $10 toaster if it was dented!!! You earn your money and you should get what you signed up for.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I go about contacting the GM regional manager? Is that something I do through my dealer? My wife and I are sort of sick of our dealer, getting run-arounds (well, the anger is amplified by the damage). Frankly, I feel the dealer is just a useless step in the process, as they didn't know anything about the options.

I assume that as long as I get a VIN before Sept 30th, I am fine. Although we are going for a trip, so we would like to have the car by then. 1000 miles, with half at 55 MPH will be painful with the whole family. As for "buy with the VIN", is that basically buying sight unseen (and if they damage it again, it is just my tough luck)?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
CNR, go to another dealer you as certainly were lied to, IMO...etc at current dealer. Move on and get your deposit back. My wife really likes the Jewel after we saw it 2 months after the fact. Don't see as many of red in our parts plus the deep blue is nice too. Do what you feel in best and get what you will be happy with. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
195 Posts
cnr1089 said:
How do I go about contacting the GM regional manager? Is that something I do through my dealer? My wife and I are sort of sick of our dealer, getting run-arounds (well, the anger is amplified by the damage). Frankly, I feel the dealer is just a useless step in the process, as they didn't know anything about the options.

I assume that as long as I get a VIN before Sept 30th, I am fine. Although we are going for a trip, so we would like to have the car by then. 1000 miles, with half at 55 MPH will be painful with the whole family. As for "buy with the VIN", is that basically buying sight unseen (and if they damage it again, it is just my tough luck)?

Thanks....
I would think that you could get the name of a rep in your area directly from GM.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
cnr1089 said:
I assume that as long as I get a VIN before Sept 30th, I am fine....As for "buy with the VIN", is that basically buying sight unseen (and if they damage it again, it is just my tough luck)?

Thanks....
The dealer still has an obligation to deliver you a brand new, undamaged vehicle, even if the paperwork is already done. Your liftgate getting hit was just a freak accident and more than likely nothing will happen if you arrange to order another one. Our Acadia came in with a nice big door ding on the driver's door right on the crease. I was pissed but allowed their paintless dent person a chance to fix it. Honestly, I cannot tell there was ever a dent there now.

I would be extremely leery of allowing them to replace the liftgate, as teetertotter mentioned, with it open when it was hit the brunt of the impact was placed on the hinges and their mounts. It's likely a new hatch won't seal correctly. Somethings can get fixed, others you just need to walk away from.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We only had a $100 deposit, which we expect to get back. We decided, rather then giving this dealer any more business, since they didn't really give us anything (but a conduit to order one), we found the car we wanted (well, had to skip on the HUD) at a dealer that got good reviews from neighbors. Now I need to break the news to the old dealer (they did offer to locate us another car, if we wanted, but we were sick of waiting, getting the run around, etc, so we drove to the car we wanted, walked in, drove it around (it had 3 miles on it), and drove it off the lot. Much easier then re-ordering, 6 weeks of waiting, and seeing the car get damaged...

Pictures (and updated sig) to follow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so we got our check back (and we have our car, although it is from a different dealer), so in the end we are the winners in this situation. :beer:

In case any of you are looking into a 2009, I would avoid a 2009 SLT2 Blue Acadia with the VIN # 1GKEV33D79J127007. I am going to check in a week to see how they advertise this car (assuming they gave the real VIN, but we got the VIN before telling them we weren't taking it).
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BTW, the Dealer was Tulley in Nashua, NH, so buyer beware.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great news, and a huge congrats. You have a great vehicle and nice color combo and options. And $100 for gas. :beer:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Excellent ending to an unpleasant saga. Congrats. Tomorrow, I get to update my sig as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife was the one who went to the original dealer (I had to do some work today, as we spent all morning buying our car, driving it home, playing with Bluetooth, Navigation, DVDs, etc).

She first asked for the VIN. Then she asked for the check back. Once she got the paper work done for the check (they said they had to send it...), she walked out, but on the way out, the sales man, in a scared/curious voice said "Wait, if you didn't want the car, why did you want the VIN?" My wife wanted to say "So we can warn people not to buy this as a new car", but she said "So we don't end up buying this car later." (we didn't tell them we had purchased another one yet, we weren't ready to rub it in).

I am curious if it was an "oh S&*t" moment, or just a curiosity...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cnr1089,
That's a shamefully classic moment ;D :D :clap2: That was really funny and right on target.

I'm certain that the guy had to change his underwear behind that one!

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you really enjoy your Acadia. You deserve it. :dancing:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts