GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search to see if this question has been dealt with, but couldn't find much. Apologies if it's been addressed and I missed it. Point me in that direction if so.

With the new GM products we have rented, they had a "V8" or "V4" when it switched to eco mode.

We just got a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali. The V6 does the same right? Am I correct on that? Does it not give you a visual if you are in cylinder deactivation mode? I can't find it anywhere in the HUD.

I really like that feature because I challenge myself to try and save fuel! lol.

Thanks,

·
Registered
210 Posts
One idiosyncrasy of the Denali infotainment system is that it will not provide any visual cue when switching to V4 mode. Strange but true. If you watch the instant fuel economy carefully under the right circumstances you can see the MPG jump up suddenly when the switch occurs. I find it's not worth the effort after the first time.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
One idiosyncrasy of the Denali infotainment system is that it will not provide any visual cue when switching to V4 mode. Strange but true. If you watch the instant fuel economy carefully under the right circumstances you can see the MPG jump up suddenly when the switch occurs. I find it's not worth the effort after the first time.
Thank you for the response. That's just crazy to me not to include that. Oh well, now I know. Thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
I tried to do a search to see if this question has been dealt with, but couldn't find much. Apologies if it's been addressed and I missed it. Point me in that direction if so.
Welcome to the forum.
The Acadia's cylinder deactivation system is called Active Fuel Management, or AFM. It was discussed on the forum when introduced to Acadia in 2017. I believe the Denali display won't show AFM mode on Denali's instrument panel at least through model year 2019 - hasn't been mentioned here for the 2020 refresh. No one ever found an explanation for why GM omitted it on their premier Acadia trim level.

·
Registered
556 Posts
...I really like that feature because I challenge myself to try and save fuel! lol.
I'm sort of the opposite. I don't like the AFM, and would probably jump on a disabler if someone makes one for the Acadia one day.
I don't worry much about gas mileage. And don't like this type of engine management.
If there were a dash light telling when it was active, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much? Don't know, probably would still disable if I could.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
I'm sort of the opposite. I don't like the AFM, and would probably jump on a disabler if someone makes one for the Acadia one day.
When Cadillac came out with their V8-6-4 displacement on demand (DOD) system, the system could be manipulated by a tech through the HVAV (climate) controller. It was a hoot driving a Fleetwood Brougham in 4-cylinder mode. The tech could also disable it and leave the system in 8-cylinder mode for the customer if they wanted to do that.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't worry much about gas mileage. And don't like this type of engine management.
If there were a dash light telling when it was active, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much? Don't know, probably would still disable if I could.
There is a dash light on our SLT-1 showing either V6 or V4 mode.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah yeah, rub it in. Not my SLE
Oh. . didn't mean to rub it in. . . I just thought it was on all lower trim levels and not on the Denali for some reason . . . beecause they have other items displayed that take up screen room.
So that means it's only on the SLT trim level? How odd.
I wonder if that holds true for the 2020 "push button" shift models as well?

Plus. . if you wish to keep it in V6 mode I think if you put it into tow mode or one of the other settings, it won't go into V4 or at least, not as much.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
Yeah yeah, rub it in. Not my SLE
That probably depends on the IP display 'levels' that are available. FWIU, AFM is disabled if one drives the Acadia with the transmission shift selector in L6 instead of D.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
What don't you like about it? On my '18 it's not noticeable. Only goes into V4 mode on deceleration. As soon as I touch the throttle it goes right back to V6 mode.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That probably depends on the IP display 'levels' that are available. FWIU, AFM is disabled if one drives the Acadia with the transmission shift selector in L6 instead of D.
That procedure would disable Start/Stop on vehicles that have it.
I've tried that L6 in my 2019 Acadia and it will still go into V4. using the tow mode and Sport mode reduces or halts V4 mode activation.

What don't you like about it? On my '18 it's not noticeable. Only goes into V4 mode on deceleration. As soon as I touch the throttle it goes right back to V6 mode.
I disagree. Our 2019 Acadia SLT will stay in V4 mode under low load conditions and even at highway speeds. Driving in town on level or even slight inclines, it will stay in V4 mode. Yes, if you press on the gas pedal it will go into V6 . .. . but soon goes back into V4 after a short time if at the same speed and relatively flat street or road.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
That procedure would disable Start/Stop on vehicles that have it.
I've tried that L6 in my 2019 Acadia and it will still go into V4. using the tow mode and Sport mode reduces or halts V4 mode activation.
Good to know. I thought someone mentioned it a while ago, but didn't go through the archives to verify. Did know about S/S disabling in L6. That's been discussed many times - it's also in the owners manual.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Good to know. I thought someone mentioned it a while ago, but didn't go through the archives to verify. Did know about S/S disabling in L6. That's been discussed many times - it's also in the owners manual.
Yes. . . Stop/Start s disabled by L6. But not V4 mode. I just tried that again the other day at a steady 40MPH or so and tried L6. It downshifted, then went into 6th gear and a few seconds later right into V4.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I disagree. Our 2019 Acadia SLT will stay in V4 mode under low load conditions and even at highway speeds. Driving in town on level or even slight inclines, it will stay in V4 mode. Yes, if you press on the gas pedal it will go into V6 . .. . but soon goes back into V4 after a short time if at the same speed and relatively flat street or road.
They must have changed the programming on the '19. My '18 hardly ever goes into V4 mode.

·
Registered
949 Posts
They must have changed the programming on the '19. My '18 hardly ever goes into V4 mode.
We also have a 2017 Chevy Colorado with the LGZ version of the 3.6L V6 engine. It behaves as you state and rarely goes into V4 mode. It will at steady speeds, generally flat terrain or even with a slight incline. But it will go back to V6 with a little throttle increase.
That is what was surprising about the 2019 Acadia with the LGX version 3.6L V6. It often goes into V4 mode and even a slight bit of throttle remains in V4. . . until a little more throttle kicks it back into V6 mode.
Driving around town at under 45MPH, I see it in V4 mode often. I do have to look though since it is difficult to sense it is in V4 mode. I can tell when it goes back into V6 mode. There is ever so slight a change in power feeling. .. almost like the transmission going into another gear.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What it physically does within the motor, the issues that some older motors had from this, one more thing to break, being somewhat old school (still like simple 60's vehicles in many ways)...
I'm not regularly bothered, just prefer to keep all my valves operating full time.

·
Registered
877 Posts
God, I noticed this the first few days I owned our 2017. If you look back at some of my posts back in 06 or 07 2016, my service mgr contacted GM about it and they came back with the Denali doesn't show V6 or V4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts