GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in order in for the following:

2008 GMC Acadia AWD SLT-2 - Silver w/ black leather (decided last minute to go to silver from blue-gold)

Navigation
Dual sunroofs
DVD Rear entertainment system
19" wheels
HID headlamps
Trailering package
HUD
Cargo Area Audio Controls

MSRP --> $45,310
My price --> $41,000

08/24/07 UPDATE: Since O.J. is getting his book published, I thought I would tell people my story as well on how I did it. It was quite simple actually. Here are the steps in the exact order that I took.

1) Went to www.autotrader.com. Put in the zip code 48335 for GMC (or Buick) vehicles.
2) Choose Seller's Buick/Pontiac/GMC as the dealership.
3) Be prepared to have jaw hit the floor when you see Seller's prices.
4) Take screenshots of cars w/ options and advertised prices that have the same options that you want (this way you can compare apples to apples)
5) Copy the URLs of the car listing as well so the dealership that you email this information to can verify the price
6) Begin your email assult to dealers with this information. I ordered through Ballas Buick/GMC in Toledo, OH. I had sent appx. 20 emails to dealerships in the Detroit/Lansing/Ann Arbor/Toledo area. My original plan was to get the lowest price that I received back from emailing the dealerships, and then take that to my local dealerships in the Dayton/Cincy/Columbus area. Ballas gave me the price of $41k right off the bat. I emailed back the other 19 dealerships as well as 15 or so in the Dayton/Cincy/Columbus area. No one was willing to beat the price.
7) Sit back with a stiff drink and wait for your vehicle to be created.

On top of the $41,000 price, I will get to use appx $3400 in GM credit card earnings, as well as $750 or so in Citibank Drivers Edge earnings, as well as any other incentives that GM will be offering when it comes in (appx. 12-16 weeks). I will be selling my 98 Grand Prix on my own.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: 2008 Acadia on order...WOOT!

I wish we were at that point!!!!

When I first read your thread it made me think there was an Acadia on www.woot.com!!!! That would be one really cool bag of crap!

Meredith

·
Registered
95 Posts

Congratulations Fenwah.

I went to the dealer on Friday to discuss ordering the exact same thing (except in Red), I assume that you got AWD. That was the price I was given with the GMS plan at invoice. I have since learned that I can only get the Supplier price but I am hoping the dealer will still sell it to me at the invoice price. I curious that you were told your price was under invoice as mine came in at $40,484.60. If they are unwilling to deal I will have to seek other quotes. I haven't heard back yet, but I am hopeful.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

FINALLY!! Congrats! Did the dealer tell you it would be 12-16 weeks? Wow, you will have a long wait!! Which comes first, the baby or the car? :cheers:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

mckcab said:
FINALLY!! Congrats! Did the dealer tell you it would be 12-16 weeks? Wow, you will have a long wait!! Which comes first, the baby or the car? :cheers:
The dealer told me that it would be 12-16 weeks...and probably fudged the numbers a bit to keep me from going bezerk if it wasn't in within 8 weeks. The baby is not due until the end of January...so that should be plenty of time (crossing fingers).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

DAHHHH...dealer is farking with me. Emailed me this afternoon and said that they made a mistake on the price of the car. They want to charge me $750 more. And apparently, they haven't ordered it yet. :angryfire:

I need to calm down a bit before I call him back. I knew it was too good to be true.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Fenwah can you let me know if you got the GMS pricing. My dealer will not budge on the price and I can only get the supplier discount. I have checked around without much success. I would be curious to know how you got them to come down so much if you didn't get any special pricing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The dealer gave me GM Employee pricing, even though I don't get either the employee or supplier discount. I have since 'fired' that dealership and already have a couple other dealerships 'fighting' for my business. I currently have the lowest at $40,750 (including dest)...which is only $250 above the employee pricing. Using email to negotiate prices is like playing a game...I'm having so much fun with this. Perhaps I need my head checked.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Tell them that this car is so popular there is an online forum with lots of people posting pricing. Tell them that people are posting that they are getting the vehicles at invoice. They will then ask: "How do you know they aren't lying." Tell them that there are an awful lot of people lying if this is the case. If you are prepared to buy, then tell them you will buy it right now if they give it to you at invoice, but not 1cent over. Next shop around, call dealers in a few hundred mile radius. If the local dealer thinks they will lose your business to another dealer, they will start dealing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have just about finalized the deal with a different dealership...in the end, I'm paying $500 more for the same vehicle...but they are delivering it to my house...the old dealership that fell through was four hours away...and I would have had to drive it back myself. I am getting everything in writing faxed to me tomorrow.

So, I'm getting a $45,310 vehicle for $41,000...delivered to my house...still $673 below invoice...plus I have appx. $4000 or more in GM and Citibank Driver's Edge points that I have been accumulating for many years. I wonder if I should request that they put a giant bow tie on it as well? I did tell them that I did not want their company sticker on the back of my car. That's one of the biggest pet peeves for me.

None of my local dealerships were even close...about $1400 above my purchase price...and this was even after they knew I could get it for $41k.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Congrats on finally getting yours ordered. I ordered mine in 8/1 and the dealer entered the order on 8/9. They are telling me 10-12 weeks "to be on the safe side".

I ordered a 2008 SLT2 FWD
Carbon Black Metallic
Brick leather

Navigation
Rear DVD
Dual sunroofs
Heads Up Display
High Intensity Headlights
Trailering Pkg
19's

List $42,255
GMC Supplier cost $40,386

Waiting..as patiently as I can.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Fenwah,

I went back to my dealer with the info that you have posted regarding your Acadia purchase. I was hoping to get him to come down on his price. I let him know that you have received employee pricing even though you are not an employee and showed him your final price. This is the response back from him:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I'd be interested in seeing his "final" paperwork and numbers when he actually takes delivery. he's probably going to be disappointed he fell for a scam."

I was wondering if you were able to get multiple dealers to give you this price and which dealership you went through. Maybe I can get your guy to talk to mine. I would be very interested in knowing the real answer and if my price is more negotiable than I thought. Of course you have no obligation to me, but I am hopeful you would like to help out another future owner. I submitted my order last week and haven't been give an build date yet. I am assuming there is still time. I would love to have another bargaining chip.

Thanks,
Jello (Jeff)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

My local dealership's price was $1500 (to be precise, $1,547.05) more than what I received it for. I have the paperwork in front of me and it's been ordered. The only problem is that my wife's old practice is refusing to pay for tail insurance (malpractice insurance that you have to pay after you leave a medical group). Her contract states she has to pay if she leaves on her own terms. However, she wanted to go part-time because of the third kid and they let her go because they only want full-time physicians. So, we're currently stuck with a $19,000 bill. We're going to have to contact a lawyer to resolve this...so even more money. Therefore, the Acadia might not be mine afterall. We haven't put the $500 deposit on it yet, so I'm not legally bound to this. Once all the dust settles, I'll post the sales sheet as I don't want to ruin what I have at the current moment...even though it looks like it's ruined. My wife is livid with her old practice and I hope this doesn't go to court...I would think they would settle.

Here is the rundown though:

MSRP: $45,310.00
Selling Price: $41,000 (according to their papers, it's $671.85 below invoice...but according to my local dealer who I talked to, it's $1,047.05 below invoice...and I have a hard copy of those papers as well...have no idea why invoice is so different at these two dealerships)
Documentation Fee: $250 (I didn't put up a fight on this since the price was so good)
County sales tax of 6.5%: $2681.25
Title Fee: $15.00
30 day tag: $10.50

Grand Total: $43,956.75 (before GM earnings)

Like I said, I'm totally in shock right now with what I learned from my wife (she just found out about an hour ago). Once everything settles though, I'll be more than happy to disclose my sales sheet. I am trying to come up with something to say at the dealership just in case this all blows over in a few months and I want to reorder. I don't want to burn any bridges with this dealership...the salesman has been absolutely fantastic. Even though we're several hours apart, they probably have a customer for life now. I've been that impressed.

If there is any good news about this, is that her new practice is treating her 100x's better than the old one.

I am literally sick to my stomach with this news.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I am so sorry to hear about that, I know how expensive malpractice insurance is for physicians. I would need a doctor if I received that kind of a bill in the mail and definately wouldn't be able to put in my order. I appreciate your quick response and wish you the best. I am glad to see that someone is having a good experience with a dealership. I went with the dealership I bought my grand prix through last year and was able to get employee price with a number, which I can no longer get. After calling several other dealers in the area, none of them would budge on the supplier price. Feeling that that was the best deal I could get I went back to my local dealership and placed the order. My $42,299.60 is $1,300 above your price and $1,815 above the employee price. All of the dealerships tell me that they can't give any better prices unless you have the authorization numbers, but it sounds like you have found several that can and have by you. I wonder if they all can and I have been given one line after another. I have tried the "e-mail game" and most of the dealerships never even e-mailed back based on my $41,000 offer price. I am frustrated, but not as much as you are I imagine. I would be happy if I could call your dealership and get a quote from them (ideally with your price) and that way I would have some ammo to go back to mine with. I certainly don't expect you to do this, but saving a few grand would make my day.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation and hopefully we will both be happy Acadia owners soon.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Jello, please check your personal messages...I sent you some information.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Our lawyer sent a nice "Why are you breaching my client's contract?" letter in the mail today. I have a feeling that this will get their attention. Our lawyer believes that this will be settled quite quickly without too much trouble. I'm crossing my fingers. I emailed my salesman today to give him the rundown. However, he is off today...so I guess I'll get his reaction to this tomorrow. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Fenwah,

Thank you very much for the e-mail. It was VERY interesting. I will check it out. I'll let you know what I find. Good luck with your situation.

Jeff

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I am going to go ahead and put the $500 deposit down and sign the sales agreement. I have it in writing that I can get my $500 back if I change my mind. I don't have a scanner, but I will take a photo of the sales agreement and post it here in the next day or so.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Spoke with Sellars GMC in Farminton and the sales manager told me that the price listed on the web was the employee price and they couldn't give it to me without an authorization code or else they could be penalized from GM for selling under the employee pricing without a number. I have now heard the same story from 5 dealerships in my area. I have mine on order and haven't put any money down on it yet, so I technically could cancel at this point if I wanted to. I am doubtful that I can get a better deal. No one will give me better than supplier price. I guess this is probably a demand issue, that they can't keep them on the lots. I find it interesting that they can give supplier pricing so easily (I have been offered this everywhere without a code) but when it comes to employee pricing they must have the numbers or else they will get in trouble.

Just my 2 cents

Fenwah, thank you for all your assistance I am glad to hear that you will be ordering.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts