GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are driving an SLT-1 with convenience package (summit white/titanium...we would order something different but still SLT-1) We are still flip-flopping Acadia vs. an Odyssey so they let us take one until friday afternoon (we got it last night - wednesday) so I could experience it day to day with my kids and real life to see how it works out for us. This should be a good test! I don't think I could ever drive a car for 15 minutes around the block and deside to buy it.

Anyway, our first big question has come up. Last night, while driving with my kids, they put the 2nd row windows down (and they were so excited because they went "all the way down" unlike the back seat in our accord that goes 1/2 way.) BUT, when we were picking up speed from an intersection to get on a freeway, oh my gosh, my husband and I thought we were going to blow out an ear drum or something - the air pressure or vibrations from the windows being down really did a number on our ears. What was that?

Also, my husband (who is 5'11" and 165lbs) found the drivers headrest to be uncomfortable for him since he tends to sit leaning slightly toward the center of the car. He drove his other car (another accord) and found it didn't bother him because his top of his shoulders and head never actually touch the headrest area because of the seat angle. Anyone else find the seat situation uncomfortable or is this just normal "break it in and find your own groove" sort of thing?

I will be spending time with my sister AND her 2006 Odyssey today. We will be doing some testing of putting her two and my two and their combined 4 carseats in and seeing how it works in the real world for us today. We have road-tripped with me, her and the 4 kids in her Ody so this will be a good comparison.

Thanks for any help!! I am sure there will be more questions as the day rolls....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Currently on an extended test drive....questions will probably keep coming up!

Another thing you might notice, or your husband might, is that the arm rests on the Ody encourage leaning. My wife likes the arm rest on our 2004 Ody, but found the armrest uncomfortable on her Dad's Acadia. She's 5' 8", 120 and she really likes that arm rest. The arm rest on the Acadia wasn't the right height for her and the placement was away from the driver's seat.

Its not a showstopper, she still likes the car and we're going to buy in the Fall. One thing I'd like to know though is how easy it is to operated the Rear Entertainment DVD on the Acadia when compared to an Ody. I noticed on the 2007 Acadia brochure pictures that the DVD slot is right next to the DVD screen by the head liner and the loading tray faces the 2nd row. On our old Ody you loaded the DVD up front, into the command unit and it was slot loading and not a tray loader. Can anyone else comment on this? Her Dad's Acadia didn't have a DVD player. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Currently on an extended test drive....questions will probably keep coming u

I think we will be going after market on the DVD system so I don't know about the slot - I don't know a lot about how they are configured. What I don't like about the Ody DVD placement is that you have to lean way down below driving eye level to put it in the bottom at the bottom of the console. Now, lets be real - who is going ot pull over on a road trip just to load another DVD? It needs to be higher.

I know that in my sister's Ody, I found the armrest a little "whimpy" - I am not a big person at all (smaller than your wife) and it feels a little less than substancial. I prefer the console style armrest that is in my Accords which is just a smaller version of what is in the acadia. It was funny - we both looked down at our arms while driving last night and we both had found a comfortable resting place in the console armrest just like when we are in our car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: Currently on an extended test drive....questions will probably keep coming up!

I too have an issue with the head rest, I wish it was flat, it hits me right at the base of my skull. I have moved my seat around and now don't notice it as an issue. I put the head rest down all the way and tilted the seat back just a bit. Agreed, this is an issue that should be changed however.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Currently on an extended test drive....questions will probably keep coming u

Another question - we don't have the manual or I would look this up - how do we change the angle of the HUD? I can barely see an ege of some of the numbers in thos one and the first one we drove was just fine - thanks!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts

mmsimpson said:
Another question - we don't have the manual or I would look this up - how do we change the angle of the HUD? I can barely see an ege of some of the numbers in thos one and the first one we drove was just fine - thanks!
To the right of the steering wheel on the dash are the controls for the HUD - two buttons with arrows on either side of a round knob. The two buttons move the HUD display up and down, and the round knob controls its brightness.

Kelly

·
Registered
31 Posts

mmsimpson said:
Anyway, our first big question has come up. Last night, while driving with my kids, they put the 2nd row windows down (and they were so excited because they went "all the way down" unlike the back seat in our accord that goes 1/2 way.) BUT, when we were picking up speed from an intersection to get on a freeway, oh my gosh, my husband and I thought we were going to blow out an ear drum or something - the air pressure or vibrations from the windows being down really did a number on our ears. What was that?
That's called wind buffeting. Something that generally most all cars will have at a certain speed (most cars have it at higher speeds). You can add those wind/rain deflectors for the windows which should stop it from happening but other than that, you would have to adjust the windows to where not all are completely down which would/should alleviate it.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Think the buffeting noise is bad with both windows down? Try just having one rear window down at speed. Holy moley. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

toasteroven said:
Think the buffeting noise is bad with both windows down? Try just having one rear window down at speed. Holy moley. :banghead:
I've noticed that in every 4-door vehicle I've owned. We had a 97 Maxima that was terrible if either or both back widows were down without a front window being down too. My truck is not much better, if a back window is down more than 1/2 way the booming feels like its going to pop your head. :eek: Our Odyssey doesn't have this problem since the only windows in back that open are vent windows at the very back of the van.

·
Registered
48 Posts

mmsimpson said:
I don't think I could ever drive a car for 15 minutes around the block and deside to buy it.
lol, I must be impulsive....I've decided to buy a couple when just driving by the dealership. Deals might as well have been done when I got out of my car.

·
Registered
32 Posts

No matter which 4-door vehicle I've owned, I notice loud wind noise when the back windows are down and the front widows are up. As soon as I put the front windows down, the noise goes away.

Since you are comparing the Acadia to an Odyssey, have you ever thought about the Buick Enclave. I test drove the Acadia and went back to talk with my salesperson and noticed an Enclave and was sold. They are the same (Acadia/Enclave) but different. I think the Enclave compares to the Odyssey more than an Acadia does. IMO

·
Registered
164 Posts

The "slot" to left of the scren is the infrared transmitter/receiver for the headphones and remote. The unit comes with two wireless headphones which are large and can be uncomfortable for the little ones. Almost any other wireless headphone brand will work with the unit. We have two Audiovox wireless headsets with soft vinly padding and a Sony wireless headset with foam padding. All three operate flawlessly and our four year-old daughter loves the Sony set.
A DVD loads into the head unit up front. We have the NAV system and so a DVD or CD can occupy the slot, but not at the same time. Not a problem as we listen to XM and use the AUX port with a MP3 player. The NAV DVD loads into its own slot behind the NAV screen. A DVD will play on the NAV screen (while in park) and the overhead screen.

We have an Outlook XR so the units should be the same.

·
Registered
180 Posts

We don't have the nav system so both the DVD and CD slots are on the head unit. Very convenient for Mom and Dad. My kids (7 and 10) love the headphones and find them comfortable. They seal well so when we listen to the stereo we can all peacefully coexist.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yes - I have had vague experience with Wind Buffeting in my accords but NEVER like this!! Maybe because the windows go all the way down in the back? It threw me for a loop!

Thanks for the help with the HUD! And, my husband is closer to a comfy position for his seat with the headrest.

We went to dinner late last night and put the kids in the car an they started to fall asleep so we jst kept driving. Freeway, regular roads, etc. Everything in suburban phoenix is on a grid so we didn't get to experience much in the way of curvy mountain drivng or anything. But it was a nice ride. We were out when one of ouf summer monsoon storms rolled thru - blinding dust storm followed by severe rain...all at 105 degrees at 10pm! But, my husband said he felt way more "invincible" in the Acadia than he would have in one of our little accords. Vehicle weight that is heavy like the acadia is good in those situations.

We have some friends (the ones who first mentioned the outlook/acadia to us) who came over to see the car we have right now and they are probably going to go to the dealer tonight and they want to buy the one we have been testing. We will probably order or check what inventory is inbound on the train. I have been talking with the inventory manager (we had a bad experience with e test drive last sat. where we ran out of gas...it was all a weird story) and the inventory manager ended up being the one who would answer my calls when the first sales guys did not. Anyway, I kind of ended up really having the big guys on my side so that is good.

Thanks for the help - is going to be tough to give it up tonight!

·
Registered
39 Posts

smokeyy said:
Since you are comparing the Acadia to an Odyssey, have you ever thought about the Buick Enclave. I test drove the Acadia and went back to talk with my salesperson and noticed an Enclave and was sold. They are the same (Acadia/Enclave) but different. I think the Enclave compares to the Odyssey more than an Acadia does. IMO
The Enclave is very nice, but a lot more expensive! Maybe the dealers are selling it on the Buick name, as well as the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

We sort of have this Buick problem - you see, my husband bought his first car in college and what he wanted was a black Honda Civic - This was 1995, I think. Well, his father was helping to make the deal on the new car and had just recently purchased two Buicks and was of the opinion that Hondas were not quite as great a deal as they used to be. He had a good relationship with a GM dealer and ended up steering my husband to a Buick Skylark. We called it "The Batmobile". It was a fine car, (we sold it 4 years ago and my husband bought an Accord) but it was never what he wanted, and quite frankly, he was a 22 year old driving a "grandpa" car.

Because of that, we just can't go the Buick route. I know intellectually that it is the same car as an Acadia and Outlook, just a little fancied up! I think we like the sportier finishes of the Acadia better. I have never been a fan of plastic wood. I would rather have plastic chrome.

Also, is there any such thing as all leather upholstery? This Acadia (and ther verbage is the same, "Leather appointed", on the Enclave so I am going ot assume it is the same way) is only Leather where you sit and rest your arms, vinyl match everywhere else. That is a little disappointing. I think my sister's Ody is leather everywhere it appears to be leather.

·
Registered
111 Posts

logbite said:
smokeyy said:
The Enclave is very nice, but a lot more expensive! Maybe the dealers are selling it on the Buick name, as well as the vehicle itself.
Actually, the dealer we bought from sold both, and they gave more of a discount off of the Enclave then the Acadia. It was not much more expensive at all. In fact, they were within a very small amount of money.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OK, we are taking the car back in a few hours. A few final thoughts. And this is kind of long but I totally appreciate the feedback!

This is fun to drive!! We have had fun and will be sad to give it back. It is hard to tell, however, how much of our enjoyment is that it is a new car that is bigger than our other two cars that are 10 years old or if the Acadia is just so fantastic. I have to say, though, we never did have the religious experience we were expecting - from so many rave reviews, we were expecting to get in and say "this is the car for us!" Now, I am no motorhead or gearhead or anything, so my feedback is purely as a 31 year old mom toting my 2 small girls around and comparing it to the ultimate Momivan - The Odyssey. We may still look bigger SUV's (Yukon or Expedition). We are trying to avoid a van but may be denying what we really need.

*THE PROS:

*It is fun to drive and NOT A VAN!!!
**It feels big and substantial without being huge
*Quicker/more powerful than our 4 cylinder accord. Duh.
*The gear shift if comfortable - the Ody/Sienna have them at a weird place half way up the center console. And, I like how it is not the kind on the steering column.
*A very stable car to drive - we drove thru a storm last night and it felt fantastic compared to our little car
*Roomier than our old car - again, another duh.
*Nice fit in the "cockpit" - I am pretty small and I fit in it without feeling like I was surrounded by wide open spaces like I do in other big SUV's
*Cockpit design – I like the feel and placement of controls. Seems intuitive.
*gas mileage - if it is close to what you all report, that is pretty good since I would rather not go the full size SUV route for that reason. Even my sister's Ody doens't meet their expected gas mileage.
*The Stereo controls on the steering wheel rock – lots of options!
*HUD - didn't think I liked it at first but it totally grew on me!!
*LOVE: remote start/power lift gate/6 way power driver seat
*More space behind 3rd row than Tahoe/Expedition/Sequoia (not by much but every bit helps!) We plan to keep the 3rd row up for friends/cousins/carpools/etc.
*My children like it and my older one (small 5yr old) can open the door and get in and out...the 3 year old will figure it out soon.
*Several more but I am sure you could all complete the list...Acadia love abounds here!

THE CONS: (and please, don't get ugly with me - I really think this is a fun car/truck and have really been loving it and from all your comments, you love your new Acadias!! I never would have tried one had it not been for so much great consumer feedback. I am really only comparing it to what I have personally driven - and I know I am not driving a high luxury car any time soon so I can only expect so much and I bet some of you will be of different opinions on some of my cons - this is my list of issues. Also, we have not driven the other cross-overs in the category so some of my issues could be normal for the CUV’s so we will be trying some other ones as well for the comparison.) We have only driven Expedition/Sequoia/Odyssey/Pilot/Sienna. Yukon will be tonight. Aside from my occasionally driving my husband's buick skylark he brought to the marriage, I have been driving Accords since I was 16. I need to get used to the fact that this is a car dressed up like a truck and may be appointed accordingly.

*Finishes - seem somewhat "chintzy" compared to Honda Products (which I have been driving myself and spent a lot of time in my sister’s Ody) - small interior door handles, shiny plastic chromes, somewhat inferior carpets
*Small seats in 2nd row captains - not as full sized as the captains in thy Ody. Which could be OK since these seats will be occupied by carseats or children 95% of the time.
*Leather "appointed" - disappointed in the leather quality - 3rd row isn't even leather and the leather matched vinyl areas - well, the Ody is really leather everywhere it appears to be leather.
*Interior color - I am not in love with all the two-tone black and titanium. And, after spending two days in it, I don't like the titanium as a color choice. (Would not choose ebony - too dark in the AZ heat and my husband does not like the brick). It is hard on the eyes and light grey is a notoriously hard color to look at (too cool - not warm like a tan) and keep clean. But I understand, it is a sportier looking color. Now, if I could get the Cashmere of the Enclave, that would be better. (My Buick issue was addressed earlier in this thread). The saturn has way less black accents (an has a tan leather) but I don't like the fully black console at the front. I like the brushed metal finishes on the Acadia better even if paired with the shiny plastic chrome.
*Head rests - front row - hard to adjust. Second and third don't adjust. I know this has been addressed in other threads as a safety issue.
*Headroom - less headroom than the Ody - more would be nice when moving around in the back to help kiddo - but - they are getting bigger and more self sufficient!
*It is dark in there! All the black accents kind of create a cave-like effect in the back - I think I need a brighter interior – I bet the dual skylight helps but in AZ, it would bake our children! And, that would also mean less head room.
*Storage - the pockets behind the first row seats are less than stellar - since they no longer have the double pocket - the big one with the net front pocket - just an elastic strap in front of the big pocket? Kind of odd. And, I would have preferred some extra storage in the back 3rd row - next to the cup holders - Ody has them. Kids can stash stuff there on road trips. I like how the vans have more storage behind 3rd row but I can do without all that much because of the split 3rd row.
*"Carpet" on back of 2nd and 3rd row seats - I know this is to create a carpeted floor when seats are down and it is for storage but I don't love the look when the seats are up. From other pictures online, not all CUV’s do this – at least for the 2nd row. I don’t mind it as much on the 3rd row.

That’s about it. Who knows – we may circle around back to the Acadia. We have had fun, it looks great, and my daughter has already requested White Diamond or Blue-Gold! Thanks for your feedback – the people on this forum are very kind.

Meredith

·
Registered
730 Posts

nice write-up! :thumb:
Considering what you have just meticulously written, i have no doubt you will be able to find the right vehicle for your family and be happy and contented.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Meredith: From your posts it seems reasonable to assume you are a Honda family, and you are comfortable with the Odessey. There's nothing wrong with that. We owned one in the past, and while we enjoyed it, we find the Acadia much more to our liking, but it's a personal choice.

You can only compare things to a certain point, and then you have to decide what will make you happy. I wish you the best in your decision. Erik

1 - 20 of 37 Posts