GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After much research on this forum, I've narrowed down my choice of car to an SLT2. The closest dealer has one in stock with sunroofs, navi and HUD. I'm pleased with these additions, although all I really "need" is the navi. I especially didn't want to pay for the DVD and tHe dealer told me it's hard to find the navi w/out the DVD and I think that's correct. The numbers they've offered are as follows:

Sticker - $42,755

Running boards & Install - $665

36 month lease w/ 12,000 miles/per year - $620

Invoice (according to Edmunds) - $39,507

What people are paying for this vehicle - according to Edmunds - $40,962

They told me the lease numbers are based on a discounted price of $41,500 which would be about $1,920 above the invoice. I know in January the boards said don't pay more than $500 max above invoice - but I'm wondering if that is still true - particularly given the number that Edmunds' TMV is giving which is $1,500 above invoice. Any help would be really appreciated... THanks, Lynne

·
Registered
35 Posts
We are paying invoice price. We had multiple dealers offering anywhere between $300 -$500 over invoice.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I paid invoice also despite what Edmunds said at the time. The dealer made his money on the holdback.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bought mine last December and paid just under invoice. Did it all online and recieved several quotes from all the dealers in the area. The dealer I went with came in $760 under the next best quote of $350 over invoice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out how dealerships stay in business selling so many Acadias at or below invoice.

We got excellent service, and negotiated a fair price for it IMO. There's negotiating a good deal, and then there's being downright cheap.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I did not need to negotiate "a deal". I asked my salesman what the price was, and he immediately said "invoice minus discounts". When he ordered our Acadia, he told me that he gets a fixed amount for the sale at invoice. If he sells at a certain volume, GM gives him a per car bonus at the end of the year. He said he makes a very good income selling at invoice by selling volume. He also said the the dealer gets 3% for selling at invoice and also gets some sort of kickback for volume at the end of the year. There was also some type of savings by keeping the inventory moving. Based on what he said, they would rather move volume have repeat customers in the long run, than the smaller volume of high earnings per car.

So I believe that they are making money, even at invoice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agreed, they are not in business to loose money. I take the approach of invoice plus $200.00, that is always my only offer, take it or leave it. I have bought 5 new cars over the past 10 years and I have never had a dealer say no. Mercedes C300 sport is next in 4 weeks!!! I love my Acadia but it is time to change out the wifes XC90 which by the way has been a work horse for 4 years and still looks as good as the day we drove it off the lot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agreed on invoice + $250 (minus incentives at delivery), I am comfortable with the offer. Besides I have $1,000 in GM points and $150 in dealer loyalty points to add to the bottom line price.

Good luck shopping.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think anything from invoice to 500 over invoice is a good deal. Typically that is still less than "Supplier Pricing". It's not as good as GMS (employee discount), but if everyone could get close to GMS, then our resale value would be lower.

And, GM occasionally gets someone like my Mother in-law who walks in and says "I'll take that one" and pays whatever the sticker says. I try to tell her that she can pay less, but she does not want to "lower herself" to do that. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's why I am amazed by the 62% residual after 36 months (10k/yr) or 59% residual after 36 months (15k/yr).

My '05 Envoy was quoted 48% back in 2005...that is a marked improvement and great for leasing the vehicle (for those interested in this form of financing).

·
Registered
57 Posts
GAR said:
I think anything from invoice to 500 over invoice is a good deal. Typically that is still less than "Supplier Pricing". It's not as good as GMS (employee discount), but if everyone could get close to GMS, then our resale value would be lower.

And, GM occasionally gets someone like my Mother in-law who walks in and says "I'll take that one" and pays whatever the sticker says. I try to tell her that she can pay less, but she does not want to "lower herself" to do that. :)
When I spec'd out a couple '08s I found that if you add advertising to the invoice (which I'm told is not paid on Suppler Pricing) -- the invoice and supplier are pretty darn close.

m

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
txhokie4life said:
GAR said:

When I spec'd out a couple '08s I found that if you add advertising to the invoice (which I'm told is not paid on Suppler Pricing) -- the invoice and supplier are pretty darn close.

m
That is true. The dealer I work with does not participate in advertising so that fee is not part of the equation. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
284 Posts
GAR said:
txhokie4life said:
GAR said:

m
That is true. The dealer I work with does not participate in advertising so that fee is not part of the equation. Thanks for the clarification.
Same with the local one we deal with--they don't participate in advertising, so there are no advertising fees and the salespeople mention this as a perk as far as the deals they can offer, and it is. It's very, very rare to find a dealer like this, however--but there are a few.

And what confuses people is they look up the "invoice" online only to see it be higher in reality, because of the ad fees which vary in % from dealer to dealer, as far as what they chose to participate with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
CaddyCruiser - what dealer do you work with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered my 2008 in early March. I got invoice minus discounts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Captain Kirk said:
I ordered my 2008 in early March. I got invoice minus discounts.
I figured that Captain Kirk would have used Priceline.com.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
xseler - You made me LOL!!! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought mine this past saturday:

2008 SLT2 FWD
Navigation, rear seat DVD, HUD, HID and sunroof with 7 seat passengers.

MSRP- 42,785
Purchased it at 39,400.00

I did order this, I paid right at invoice. It is fustrating but you can find a dealership and most important a sales person willing to move cars. I walked into the dealership and had my deal down and signed with in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Unfortunately it is true that you need to find the right dealer AND the right sales person. The guy I buy from just sells straight at invoice to me with no hassle. But at that same dealership, you have sales people that choose to start at MSRP and see how much they can make on each sale.

Don't even start talking with any sales person about what you are buying until they have agreed that you will get straight invoice (or what ever deal you feel you want). If that sales person won't deal, just move to another one at that same dealership.

·
Registered
339 Posts
GAR said:
I did not need to negotiate "a deal". I asked my salesman what the price was, and he immediately said "invoice minus discounts".
When I bought mine in November, I had the same exact conversation with my salesperson.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts