GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curb Weight is without passager's and empty gas tank

Rolls Royce Phantom 5,886 lbs ($385,000)

Lexus RX 350 AWD 4,090

Cadillac STS V-8 4,221

Buick Enclave AWD 4,985

2007 Acadia AWD 4,936

Acura RDX 3,935

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
GMC Yukon 2WD - 5,270 lbs

GMC Yukon 4WD - 5,527 lbs

Acadia FWD - 4,792

Acadia FWD is 478 lbs lighter than Yukon 2WD

Acadia AWD is 591 lbs lighter than Yukon 4WD

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tune the exhaust, improve the air intake, and it would feel 500# lighter. Valve timing, tranny updates and other technology is available that would not negatively impact mileage. The cost/benefit/economy equation has to be just right to appeal to the largest number of consumers, but there is room for improvement from the engineers.

Hopefully the impressive sales numbers will keep evolutional development interest high at GM.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Acadia would be so much better if it weighed about 500 pounds less.
But how do you do that? The Acadia bigger than the Lexus and Acuras and the Cadis listed, isn't it? Do I need to research the dimensional numbers on these cars too? It is shorter in length by 1.3 inches in length an 7 inches in height compared to Yukon so it should be lighter, plus, it is not a truck V-8. And sure, I know engine parts and interior fittings and all that take into account how much a car weighs, but this speaks a little to me. The RDX? A LOT smaller. Why compare? The STS? A sedan.

OK, my husband may be the math wizard but I took LxWxH and divided that by the curb weight - to come up with a volume/weight ratio...much like calculating BMI for height/weight. They are all in the same ball park. This may be fuzzy math but it makes a lot of sense to me. Seats or other specific interior parts weigh about the same. Cars are obviously all contoured differently. Cars are made out of basically the same stuff the same way. Windshields are roughly the same size. I was expecting to find some car grossly out of whack when compared to others. They aren't. So, maybe the Acadia shouldn't weigh less but should have stuff under the hood that moves it better?

Acadia WD curb weight 4936
length 200.70 in
height 69.90 in
width 78.20 in
LxHxW / CW = 222

Yukon 4WD curb weight 5527
Length 202.00
height 76.90
width 79.00
LxWxH / CW = 222

Acura RDX curb weight 3935 (not an equal comparison so of course it weighs in a lot less)
Length 180.70
height 65.20
width 73.60
LxWxH / CW = 220

Acura MDX curb weight 4548 (a better comparison)
Length 190.70
height 68.20
width 78.50
LxWxH / CW = 224

Lexus RX350 AWD curb weight 4090
Length 186.20
height 66.10
width 72.60
LxWxH / CW = 218

Rolls Royce Phanton curb weight 5886 ( you know, for fun...if it cost just a little less...It would still be on our list!)
Length 239.50
height 64.30
width 78.30
LxWxH / CW = 204

·
Registered
956 Posts
There are a lot of things that determine a vehicles weight. The kind of steel that is used, how rigid the body is, how much insulation is used, the option content, the thickness of the glass, and the weight of the powertrain. For many years cars were actually getting lighter, but due to safety concerns and vehicles getting larger again, the vehicles have been getting heavier over the past few years. The Acadia actually weighs about the same as one of those huge sixties Cadillacs or Lincolns.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sure. That makes sense.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Several of the car magazines I subscribe to put a horsepower to weight ratio in their statistics, or how many HP/lb they have. I don't know if it really means much, but I do find I review it on the comparison tests.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just made up my own brand of statistics. :thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
big bear craig said:
The Acadia would be so much better if it weighed about 500 pounds less.
....or had at least 50 more lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
108 Posts
you can compare up to five vehicles on www.Edmonds.com. You can compare dimentions, weight, head room, hip room, engine, gas tank size, gas milage and more. It's a really cool site.

Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts