GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you stand outside my driver's door and press on the top frame of door above window, as the door moves in against the seals it makes a rubbery creaky crunchy sound. While I don't make a habit of doing this on a regular basis :) the problem is the same noise manifests itself when driving any time the body flexes a little. Listening to that crunch sound right by your head all the time is quite annoying.

2018 Denali with 40,000 miles on it now. It probably started doing this subtly at 30,000 miles and has gotten progressively louder. There's been zero accidents or body work done.

I had a similar noise on a Buick Rendezvous passenger door years ago. Once I figured out what was wrong, applying some silicon oil to the door seals twice a year eliminated the noise. The bizarre thing with the Acadia is that the silicon isn't helping at all. I've liberally applied to inside and outside surfaces of every seal in that area with no improvement.

Anyone else experience this?

Brian

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
Have you checked the door seals to make sure they're still attached firmly to the door frame?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Door seals are in proper position.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some trial and error and research online, I found out that certain types of weatherstrip do not like pure silicone oils, plus certain waxes. Found tons of BMW owners complaining about this phenomenon.

On our Acadias, the culprit is the top weatherstrip that features a felt strip. If that felt area picks up any rubber protectant; silicone; wax; detailer- it may start squeaking/crunching. The best fix is to wash that strip with warm soapy water (like Dawn). The noise goes away. If it comes back it may take repeated cleaning. Be sure to clean the body side as well.

If you still get a crunch when pressing inwards against the door in this area, seek out on YouTube a video related to this. The gentleman shows a Teflon based tape that BMW dealers apply to afflicted cars. Can be bought on Amazon. You prep the body side and carefully apply to match contour of door seal. It’s mostly clear, invisible when door is closed, and eliminates friction between seals and body.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sometimes, maybe this circumstance it seems, additives/treatments are not always beneficial. What is a good product to maintain their health/longevity, yet not cause any issues I wonder... of course that said, I don't think I've ever had a door seal go bad, no treatments.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes, maybe this circumstance it seems, additives/treatments are not always beneficial. What is a good product to maintain their health/longevity, yet not cause any issues I wonder... of course that said, I don't think I've ever had a door seal go bad, no treatments.
Valid points. Though applying silicon to door seals is usually recommended to keep them pliable and prevent cracking. I think this is my 13th GM vehicle, have always treated the seals, and it’s the first one to exhibit these symptoms.

It’s something about that felt strip…

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Valid points. Though applying silicon to door seals is usually recommended to keep them pliable and prevent cracking. I think this is my 13th GM vehicle, have always treated the seals, and it’s the first one to exhibit these symptoms.

It’s something about that felt strip…
Possibly. I'm unsure how many GM's I've had, but more than others combined. Never treated any seals, even tho I recall guys in the C5 forum talking about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live on a hill so my driveway has some whacky angles when I pull onto the streets. Mine creaks like crazy as the body flexes, so I (before I wash it) spray all those weatherstrips around the windows with pure silicone spray (using the straw). Gets rid of the creaking for 6-12 months. Like you say, pushing on windows with the doors closed reveals the creaking sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts