GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I just purchased a beautiful Acadia AT4 and I’m quite happy. However… my roof rack cross bars produce A LOT of wind noise at anything over 50mph. Leaves me wondering if they were installed in the wrong direction. Anyone have similar issues? I plan on leaving them on year round because I like the extra off-road look it gives to the vehicle. But the noise is loud. Even with music blasting I can still hear the whistling hum loudly. Suggestions?
Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
So I just purchased a beautiful Acadia AT4 and I’m quite happy. However… my roof rack cross bars produce A LOT of wind noise at anything over 50mph. Leaves me wondering if they were installed in the wrong direction. Anyone have similar issues? I plan on leaving them on year round because I like the extra off-road look it gives to the vehicle. But the noise is loud. Even with music blasting I can still hear the whistling hum loudly. Suggestions?
Flip them around and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
On my 2010, the install instructions actually showed that they had to be installed correctly to minimize wind noise.
The leading edge had a small bump the entire lenght.
Guess it did something with aerodynamics.
Yours may be similar.....

Instructions also recommended a position to place them at for more noise reduction. I dont hear mine at all.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I also read spacing or position of the cross bars helps if that is still possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On 2017 Acadia, I have filled the screw holes with clear silicone and I do THINK this helped noticeably (& I could still add more to make super flush). But don't get your hopes up for total silence. Obviously, the silicone means a bigger job if you ever want to remove -- but i don't plan to and am willing to accept some sound impact. NOTE, if you do this, do at least a few small rounds of fill (or risk silicone falling out) and have a tool handy to flatten and guide stuff flush into holes. It will shrink anyway, so you really can't finish in one round. Frankly, GM should provide caps engineered for this purpose, but no...

·
Registered
26 Posts
View attachment 12163 View attachment 12164
I was curious, so I just went and inspected my 2021 AT4 per rbarious information, and it looks like mine and yours are mounted correctly with the ridged surface on the front and the smooth surfaces on the rear edge of each crossbar. I have not noted any unusual noise from the roof rack.

I did mention I get a loud pulsing helicopter like noise and interior pressure waves I feel in my eardrums if the rear windows are open over 50mph, in a prior discussion, and others have noted that also, attributed to the modern aerodynamic changes. The answer to that one is crack a front window open an inch and it restores a windflow inside the cabin. Dont know if that information helps you figure out where the noise comes from

·
Registered
42 Posts
Suggestions? Two: leave them on and live with the noise, or take them off and live without it. Ya can't violate the laws of physics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was curious, so I just went and inspected my 2021 AT4 per rbarious information, and it looks like mine and yours are mounted correctly with the ridged surface on the front and the smooth surfaces on the rear edge of each crossbar. I have not noted any unusual noise from the roof rack.

I did mention I get a loud pulsing helicopter like noise and interior pressure waves I feel in my eardrums if the rear windows are open over 50mph, in a prior discussion, and others have noted that also, attributed to the modern aerodynamic changes. The answer to that one is crack a front window open an inch and it restores a windflow inside the cabin. Dont know if that information helps you figure out where the noise comes from
Yes the dealership confirmed today that they are mounted correctly, rigid section towards the front, and tapered smooth edge towards the back. Saturday I'm bring her in for a detailing and will bring a service manager with me for a quick drive to inspect the noise. A lot of people online are claiming to hear no noise in their Acadia's. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I really like their look and I'm considering just living with it. But I obviously want to keep searching for a solution before I give up entirely. Perhaps I'll use a fairing or maybe try paracord wrapping the bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my 2010, the install instructions actually showed that they had to be installed correctly to minimize wind noise.
The leading edge had a small bump the entire lenght.
Guess it did something with aerodynamics.
Yours may be similar.....

Instructions also recommended a position to place them at for more noise reduction. I dont hear mine at all.
Slightly different cross bar designs in the '22's.

·
Registered
143 Posts

If you check I think you'll find that flutter is the "cloth shade" for the moon/sun roof flapping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 12163 View attachment 12164
It’s installed backwards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts