GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
When I have passengers sitting in the 3rd row, there is a creaking/clunking noise that emanates from the rear of the vehicle. I have tried bouncing the vehicle while parked to replicate the sound, but haven't had any luck. Has anyone else experienced this or know the cause?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
23,680 Posts
Do you 'bounce' the vehicle while those people are sitting in the seat? Sometimes assistants can help find elusive noises.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update. Finally took my car into the dealer for the creak. It took 4 techs an entire day to identify the issue. Ended up replacing both rear shocks under warranty. Solved the problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quick update. Finally took my car into the dealer for the creak. It took 4 techs an entire day to identify the issue. Ended up replacing both rear shocks under warranty. Solved the problem.
Is your 2017 a Limited (old body style) or new body style?

I have a 2018 Acadia and fighting a squeaky rear end. Especially bad with full tank of gas and passengers in 3rd row.

It’s not a high pitched squeak, more like a creak. Spent an hour with my cousin, one of us bouncing the vehicle while the other was underneath. Even with a stethoscope it was hard to locate the source. We kind of feel it could be internal to the shock.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Wondering if it's a corroded or damaged shock seal with these "creaking issues?

I had that on one previous SUV and though only about 20 months old.

Reactions: bxd20

·
Registered
149 Posts
We were both exhausted after checking EVERYTHING down there… so for the stethoscope not to clearly identify the origin of the creak was frustrating. Definitely coming from drivers side rear near the wheel. Checked control arms, caliper, spring and perches, sway bars, end links, unibody floor, exhaust hangers, differential mounts, trailing arms, etc.

I’m sitting here wondering if I should swap the passenger and drivers side shocks to see if the noise moves to other side . Compared to other jobs, relatively easy.

Anyone have the factory service manual who can give me torque values for top and bottom shock mount bolt?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts