GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've read with many others in here, the 2014 Acadia has a water leak problem. The local mechanic said it's from the cowl being sun beaten and warped and simply not sealing up against the windshield properly. The water off the windshield runs down into the engine compartment and through the floor vents (?) somehow and onto the carpet or my foot. It was bad enough that it caused problems with my door actuators' electronics. After reading all the similar stories in here, I feel like this is probably accurate. What I'd like to know is where can I find the part number to order a new cowl and are there other parts I will (or should) order at the same time to be replaced as well? Any other ideas or information would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help.
Al

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If anything like that cowl is available, it would be found in a body parts listing of some parts site. A local body shop may be able to help you locate the parts you seek. Be aware that some of what you want might not be sold separately from other parts on the vehicle. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
BTW, replacing parts like that may not resolve the leak. Most of the time, leaks are the result of a failed seal between body sections, or where parts pass through the sheet metal. Those can be resealed without replacing any parts. A few threads on the forum discuss where those sealed areas are located and what it takes to recaulk the area and reestablish a good seal.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
there was an area in the cowl section that had a leak.
Something to do with a weld seam or improper caulking.
We had a thread- on it. With pictures which have since gone missing. But it showed where the dealer/owner could apply a sealer to keep water from leaking in.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
Good find, RB. (y)

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
@alpatrick317 : That piece up against the lower windhield is not designed as a water seal. It is there to protect windshield wiper parts. The piece is subject to expansion and contraction with temperature changes and will deform at times. Just because the piece looks 'warped' doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts