GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on a new BCM until you resolve the corrosion issue. A corroded fuse box is going to create all manner of electrical glitches.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I just took the upper half off of the fuse box and everything looks good underneath. No sign of water damage on the connectors or wire harness. And the only fuses with damage are the ones in the bottom row starting from the left and the row going up the middle on the same side. Is there something that I can use to help keep water out from entering the box? I park my car under my carport when I'm home so it will only be in the rain when my boss allows us to go back to work or when I'm driving.

·
Super Moderator
19,649 Posts
Well I just took the upper half off of the fuse box and everything looks good underneath. ...
You also should look at the fuse box in the dash - it's behind the glovebox. Many of the connections to that fuse box carry data to/from the BCM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so I have posted on here before and the more it happens the more I believe the computer is going bad. Not sure if it is the ECM or BCM or whatever. Anyways, I was driving down the road and suddenly my volts drop to under 13. My check engine light start flashing. I hear a clicking noise (like my door locks are locking and unlocking), I have no power when I press the gas, no rpms or anything. But the car doesn't kill. I finally was able to get to the side of the road and cut the car off. I noticed that it said service gauges this time. This has happened before but usually it only reads service stabilitrak and traction control off. When I tried restarting the car it started with no problem and I was able to drive for a few minutes until it happened again but this time it said service theft system. I was able to do this a few times before getting back home.

On seperate occurances I have had the message service back up visual or something close to that. But I didnt have an issue with the car going bizerk on me. I would just cut the car off and restart it and it would fix itself.

I also had occurrences where the voltage drops to 13 and it never tried to shut itself down. I was able to get home no problem.

I have changed the plugs, alternator, & battery recently. I cleaned my throttle body twice. Changed my oil. I have gotten comments saying that there could be a loose connection somewhere but I did my best to check what I could see.

My thing is if the messages that keep popping up are so random and different how could it not be the computer. Now I don't know which control module it could be bc it seems that the ecm and bcm have alot in common. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow but I'm wondering that since this happens so random and the check engine light never stays on how can they check for an issue if the issue isn't showing itself at that time. I have tried pulling the codes but without the check engine light staying lit it doesn't show any. Are they capable to run a test on the control module to diagnose it or am I just bringing it in on chance that they can find something?
If you have the sunroof option, there are water drain hoses at the front on each side of the tray that the glass sits in. Two very small (to small I say) holes in the very front corners. These tubes connected to them run down the A pillar on each side and into a rubberized fitting that goes through the firewall. These fittings have little small flexible 'fingers' that act as a one way valve to let water out but keep air, dirt etc out of the tube. One of those great ideas on the drawing board that just really fails in the real world. You can get to the left side fitting by removing the A pillar trim and the front dash panel where it meets the window. You have to reach around and feel for it. Pull it out, cut the fingers out with a knife or something and replace. The right side I think can be reached either the same way or after removing the glove box, i'm not sure on that. It's been awhile. If these fitting are partially clogged, water overflows and runs down the A pillar into the fuse box, big problem. If they clog up completely you'll have very wet carpets after a good rain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@RobertB I think I pulled out the correct rubber fitting. I'm not sure what you meant by "fingers" looking inside I cant see what would be considered as so.
View attachment 9604 View attachment 9605 View attachment 9607
That's probably it. they may have changed, my son's is a 2008 SLT2. I have had the pleasure of replacing the engine with a GM Reman unit to the tune of several thousand dollars, had to have the trans rebuilt due to the 3-5-R wave plate defect and had to argue to get parts damaged but not on the 'Official' parts listed in the 'Special Extended Warranty Coverage' Service Bulletin covered! Bought a Lexus GX460 late last year, can't wait until it's out of warranty and stuff starts going haywire. There are still controls, buttons, etc I haven't a clue as to what they do. When the owners manual is over 500 pages, not counting the separate several hundred page 'Navigation' manual, it's just a little ridiculous but the wife thought it was cute. I drive an 08 Highlander and it does everything I want to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So just wanted to give yall my latest update. I went ahead and brought it to the second dealer. They couldn't find any issues at first so I told them I wanted to change the BCM anyways bc I knew it had thrown those codes for the other dealer. Well when they test drove it after the BCM was changed the car finally died on them. It gave a P0513 code which is an ECM code. Which the tech told me that the ECM was failing so that in turn threw codes for the BCM. So I went ahead and had them change the ECM. They test drove it again and everything works now. When I get back to town I can go return my BCM and get my $400 back. So glad I went somewhere else bc I would have been paying prolly close to $2000 for everything at the other place. So my advice to anyone especially women bringing your car in to get serviced is to have more than one quote for repairs. You would be surprised how some people take advantage of you when they assume you dont know anything about cars.

(mod edit: edited expletive)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts