GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have posted on here before and the more it happens the more I believe the computer is going bad. Not sure if it is the ECM or BCM or whatever. Anyways, I was driving down the road and suddenly my volts drop to under 13. My check engine light start flashing. I hear a clicking noise (like my door locks are locking and unlocking), I have no power when I press the gas, no rpms or anything. But the car doesn't kill. I finally was able to get to the side of the road and cut the car off. I noticed that it said service gauges this time. This has happened before but usually it only reads service stabilitrak and traction control off. When I tried restarting the car it started with no problem and I was able to drive for a few minutes until it happened again but this time it said service theft system. I was able to do this a few times before getting back home.

On seperate occurances I have had the message service back up visual or something close to that. But I didnt have an issue with the car going bizerk on me. I would just cut the car off and restart it and it would fix itself.

I also had occurrences where the voltage drops to 13 and it never tried to shut itself down. I was able to get home no problem.

I have changed the plugs, alternator, & battery recently. I cleaned my throttle body twice. Changed my oil. I have gotten comments saying that there could be a loose connection somewhere but I did my best to check what I could see.

My thing is if the messages that keep popping up are so random and different how could it not be the computer. Now I don't know which control module it could be bc it seems that the ecm and bcm have alot in common. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow but I'm wondering that since this happens so random and the check engine light never stays on how can they check for an issue if the issue isn't showing itself at that time. I have tried pulling the codes but without the check engine light staying lit it doesn't show any. Are they capable to run a test on the control module to diagnose it or am I just bringing it in on chance that they can find something?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Could be a failing BCM or ECM but these cars are known to have water intrusion issues that corrode connections in fuse box and other connections. That would be my first guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a failing BCM or ECM but these cars are known to have water intrusion issues that corrode connections in fuse box and other connections. That would be my first guess.
Would that be fuse box under the hood or by the glovebox? I do have a sunroof. I seen other post asking about that.

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
Also water getting to the connections would cause it to read random messages like that?
All sorts of strange things can happen when data pathways are disrupted (even rerouted) by water, corrosion, or any other type of corrupted connection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I brought it in to the dealer and he wants to charge me $1250 for a new BCM and labor. That is crazy when I can buy a new BCM from RockAuto for $164. Also he tells me that they do not program them there. Anybody knows how to program the new one? I researched and found a couple diff instructions. One person said if it is a new BCM it will program itself and then I heard you need a tool to program it. Anyone knows how to do it so I can save $1000?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ok so I brought it in to the dealer and he wants to charge me $1250 for a new BCM and labor. That is crazy when I can buy a new BCM from RockAuto for $164. Also he tells me that they do not program them there. Anybody knows how to program the new one? I researched and found a couple diff instructions. One person said if it is a new BCM it will program itself and then I heard you need a tool to program it. Anyone knows how to do it so I can save $1000?
It is feasible the dealer may see indications that the BCM may have a problem. . . but also more likely that the electrical connections are the cause as others keep pointing out. Diagnostic codes sometimes do not point directly to the cause of issues. Especially as vehicles age and connections fail.
Have you checked thoroughly the fuse boxes for discoloration, crusty deposits, and pulling and reseating fuses both at the fuse boxes inside as well as under hood? Also check behind the fuse boxes for corrosion.
It does sound like you have electrical conneciton problems.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Did you ask the dealer for the breakdown of the charges between parts & labor?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes that is a bit much for a New BCM even is GM charged $600 for one that is another $500 for an hour of labor to program and a half hour to replace it. Any shop with the proper diagnostic tool with programming capabilities could do it. It needs the VIN with all the options on your vehicle.
Also, I have a mechanic where he has a Roving Technician with a Tech2 tool and he comes to the shop to program vehicles when this sort of thing is needed. Maybe you have a mechanic nearby who can do the same.
Just so happens that I have a new BCM for an 08 Outlook which I never used, it was being programmed when we discovered that the BCM wasn't the issue so I never needed it. If you want it $75 shipped CONUS. But I would Suggest that you are sure that the BCM was the problem before you go through the expense of programming a new one, either mine, Rockauto, or the dealers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that is a bit much for a New BCM even is GM charged $600 for one that is another $500 for an hour of labor to program and a half hour to replace it. Any shop with the proper diagnostic tool with programming capabilities could do it. It needs the VIN with all the options on your vehicle.
Also, I have a mechanic where he has a Roving Technician with a Tech2 tool and he comes to the shop to program vehicles when this sort of thing is needed. Maybe you have a mechanic nearby who can do the same.
Just so happens that I have a new BCM for an 08 Outlook which I never used, it was being programmed when we discovered that the BCM wasn't the issue so I never needed it. If you want it $75 shipped CONUS. But I would Suggest that you are sure that the BCM was the problem before you go through the expense of programming a new one, either mine, Rockauto, or the dealers.
So did you program yours? They said that the BCM showed 18 different codes so that is why they want to replace it. None of which were for the engine. Email me bc I might take you up on your offer.
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is feasible the dealer may see indications that the BCM may have a problem. . . but also more likely that the electrical connections are the cause as others keep pointing out. Diagnostic codes sometimes do not point directly to the cause of issues. Especially as vehicles age and connections fail.
Have you checked thoroughly the fuse boxes for discoloration, crusty deposits, and pulling and reseating fuses both at the fuse boxes inside as well as under hood? Also check behind the fuse boxes for corrosion.
It does sound like you have electrical conneciton problems.
I'll have to get the car back from the dealer to check everything.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It was in the process of being programmed, I am sot sure if it went the full download but all it would need would be to be re-programmed to the new vehicle.
what year is your vehicle and it can be checked if the part number is the same from 2008 to your model year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
So I just got my Acadia from the dealer. I pulled a couple fuses from under the hood and it looks to have some water damage on the fuses itself. I will post pics. So my question is do I need to put all new fuses or do I need to change the box or something?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I did call another GMC dealer. They said they could program it for a couple hundred. I just need to get the part in.
You can ask them if a BCM can be reprogrammed from a different vehicle to yours just to be sure, some dealers will tell you no, some will say yes. I am pretty sure they can be re-programmed.It has been verified on this forum already.

·
Registered
245 Posts
JayTee did suggest that you check fuse box connections. The fuse box is different parts, upper base and lower connectors. You can take it apart and check for corrosion and bad connections.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also there was 18 codes the bcm threw the dealer said. On my receipt he put 2 of them which were u0140 and u2100. Which I know one is loss of communication to bcm and the other is an error in the VID block.

Just another update I called a dealer in the next town over and he quoted me $617. So that is what I'm going to do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts