GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Acadia that has just started running in upper 3/4 of temp gauge, then when I shut the car off the cooling fan runs for several minutes. It's like it's possessed. All fluids are there, could this be a water pump issue ? The fan thing seems weird to me- are the cars electric systems set for that, or do I have two problems? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
kirbyyy86 said:
I have a 2011 Acadia that has just started running in upper 3/4 of temp gauge, then when I shut the car off the cooling fan runs for several minutes. It's like it's possessed. All fluids are there, could this be a water pump issue ? The fan thing seems weird to me- are the cars electric systems set for that, or do I have two problems? Thanks for any help!
Greetings kirbyyy86,

Sincere apologies to hear that your cooling fan seems to remain running after you have turned your ignition off. This certainly seems like an displeasing occurrence for you. Have you spoken to your local dealership about this concern? If you'd like us to research any recalls possibly associated to this, please send us a private message. We'd also be more than happy to schedule an official diagnosis on your behalf. You're more than welcome to contact us for assistance.

Sincerely,

William R. (assisting Kelly & Jessica)
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
99 Posts
sometimes your electric fan will run for a few min after engine is shut off if engine temps are not normal, as you are stating that your temp is above 210. If coolant is full and not leaking, your problem could be a stuck thermostat.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
It only sounds like you have one issue possibly.....

Get the coolent checked, it may be time to replace the fluid. If the fluid is good, there may be another issue in your cooling system and hopefully it is minor.

The fan running after the ignition is off is just a reaction to the higher temperature of the engine, it is normal for the fan to run after the ignition is off if the engine temperature is too high. Every vehicle I have owned since my 1992 Honda Accord have behaved in the same way, it is normal operation.

The reason the engine is warmer then usual would be my only concern.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
GMC Customer Service said:
Greetings kirbyyy86,

Sincere apologies to hear that your cooling fan seems to remain running after you have turned your ignition off. This certainly seems like an displeasing occurrence for you.

Sincerely,

William R. (assisting Kelly & Jessica)
GMC Customer Care
Really???

This vehicle is designed to keep the cooling fan running when the engine is too hot after ignition off..... almost ALL modern vehicles have been doing this for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
your reservoir bottle may be at the full mark...
but you may have to remove the plastic shield- and uncap the radiator cap to see the level in there (engine cool).

·
Registered
1 Posts
sometimes your electric fan will run for a few min after engine is shut off if engine temps are not normal, as you are stating that your temp is above 210. If coolant is full and not leaking, your problem could be a stuck thermostat.
I have change out the thermostat, temp sensor. What else could it be? When getting off Acadia and returning back within 10 min. The gauge will be at 3/4 and then drop after fans kick in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
oscar956
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing