GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am totally in love with the Acadia...I have the trim, color, options all set. I just need my husband to follow suit. Granted this will be my car. We have 3 kids (ages 18mo, 3, 8 ) and I currently drive a Land Rover. We bought it when expecting 3rd, thinking the jump seats in the back would be great for our oldest. My son likes it well enough but not practical for getting in and out all of the time. So I am opting for the Captains so the oldest can slide between to get out (for drop-off/pick-up at school). It was a pain to open the back each time, and it was too squished for him between the car seats of second row.
Anyhow, back to the topic. I need some "guy" (no offense to anyone) incentives for this car.
My husband is a tool-head, has rebuilt VW's and loves to tool with the Land Rover. He doesn't want me to get the Acadia because he thinks the Land Rover is fun to play with. If we were to get the Acadia, I want to sell the LR. We also have a 1990 "BEAST" Suburban! So we don't need another "truck".
So, tell me some things that would peak his interest from a DIY tool-head POV.
TIA

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tell him you'll spit shine his tool :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...is that considered off topic? >:D
BTW, I have tried the "if i'm happy, i'll make you happy" trick :angel:
Yah, I just need him to realize that this car can be fun to play with and modify.
Thanks-

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
2+3 said:
So, I am totally in love with the Acadia...I have the trim, color, options all set. I just need my husband to follow suit. Granted this will be my car. We have 3 kids (ages 18mo, 3, 8 ) and I currently drive a Land Rover. We bought it when expecting 3rd, thinking the jump seats in the back would be great for our oldest. My son likes it well enough but not practical for getting in and out all of the time. So I am opting for the Captains so the oldest can slide between to get out (for drop-off/pick-up at school). It was a pain to open the back each time, and it was too squished for him between the car seats of second row.
Anyhow, back to the topic. I need some "guy" (no offense to anyone) incentives for this car.
My husband is a tool-head, has rebuilt VW's and loves to tool with the Land Rover. He doesn't want me to get the Acadia because he thinks the Land Rover is fun to play with. If we were to get the Acadia, I want to sell the LR. We also have a 1990 "BEAST" Suburban! So we don't need another "truck".
So, tell me some things that would peak his interest from a DIY tool-head POV.
TIA
See if he has any interest in putting a Chevy V8 and a real (Tremec manual) 6-speed in one? :D I speak as one that has DIY'd this in a Datsun, Toyota, Mazda, and BMW.

The Lambda to me is more of a gadget-appeal vs. performance-appeal type of vehicle if his DIY interest is in gadgets, it is an easy sale. Is he aware of all the cool stuff (Nav systems, cameras, DVD, etc.) you can get and/or retrofit into them? The '09 models will have more yet, such as heated AND cooled seats (Acadia 2LT & Traverse LTZ only). The Acadia 1LT/2LT HUD is super cool also. Some here are contemplating adding front/side cameras to their vehicles, and the new lockpick device will allow for this with multiple video inputs. It will even switch on the respective side camera when the turn signal is activated. Little TMI for me, but this gives an example of what is available to do.

I'd suggest a test drive in an Acadia w/ HUD and Nav for him.

We are rather territorial with our vehicles, mine are all manual transmissions and Mrs. Shopper can't/doesn't want to drive them (third pedal deficiency :)). She has always had great latitude in "her" vehicle selection, since I don't drive it too much. Perhaps something like this can be a good support argument for you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There's also a few folks who have opted to add performance mufflers to their Acadia which sounds like it could be up his alley...but maybe not a good thing for you. I know my wife would shoot me if I did that to our "Family" car again ;D

Aftermarket grilles and wheels tend to keep alot of people up at night searching for the best options...

I agree with OL_Shopper too regarding the electronic goodies that could peak an interest. Hey if nothing else doesn't the fact that it is a GMC sound manly enough...It is Professional Grade afterall! :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, he is quite the gadget guy so perhaps I can sway him that way. Do you reccomend any websites I can show him?
I think the other problem is he has never bought a new car-always goes for the used deals. On the otherhand I have only bought new until we were married.
I have some work to do but I think I can handle it 8)

·
Registered
812 Posts
just tell him that the LR is an easy vehicle to mod with lots of aftermarket support, if he wants a challenge, get the Acadia... hell be up all day and night just looking for the right set of rims that would fit the bolt pattern.... ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
;DThanks-
So in your opinion would it be good to go for the SLT without Nav/Cam and let him play. Would it really benefit the price difference to buy that stuff later?

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a former owner of a 2000 LR Discovery 2, I can tell you the Acadia is a completely different animal. If your husband is looking for some Land Rover off road activities with the Acadia I would look elsewhere. Even with an AWD model. Last year when my wife and I started to look at replacing the Disco I really wanted to get a pre-owned late model LR3 but the wife convinced me into the Acadia. As I stated in another post, I really miss my Disco and really wish I would have either kept her or gone the LR3 route. Don't get me wrong, with the exception of the worse than claimed MPG, I really enjoy the Acadia and all of its features, I just miss the added abilities of the Disco and LR3. Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
2+3 said:
Thanks-
So in your opinion would it be good to go for the SLT without Nav/Cam and let him play. Would it really benefit the price difference to buy that stuff later?
I just priced out (estimated) the '09 Traverse 1LT with the nav/cam/DVD and it was the best option for me.

Based on my research for the Acadia, if you want DVD/nav/cam and can do w/o leather, it is less costly to get the SLE with the DVD (U42) option than the SLT1 and add the factory unit to it. You are already several thousand above the SLE with the SLT1 and you still have to add in the DVD and nav/cam.

If you go to the GMC and Edmunds websites you can build/price them and see the difference in cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
exprezchef-I totally see your point in the off road activities, however fun that is, we are just not that kind of family so the Acadia will be my family people transported mainly. We actually never went off road with the LR, unless you count parking in the dirt field at a festival ;D And we have the beafy '90 Suburban for other purposes that works well for our snow trips. I will most likely also get the FWD since I don't feel the AWD is needed. It looks as though we will be keeping the LR (if we but another acre ;) ) so we could still use the 4wd if we decided, or had time. Thanks for your input. :cheers:
OL_Shopper- Thanks for your estimates. I have been using the different websites to compare prices. But this is my breakdown:
Need Leather seats w/ Captains
Need PowerLift Gate and Conv. Pkg
so the SLE is out for me. Then I just need to figure out the best between SLT-1 with the bare of what I want, or see if the next price difference up to SLT-2 makes better sense in the long-run and come out with more options. OR get the SLT-1 and have hubby place in NAV/Cam/DVD etc... :help:
Thanks-

·
Registered
14 Posts
2+3, we also started the 7 passenger search while expecting kid #3. My kids are 5, 3 and 5 weeks. Our family car was a Volvo Cross Country Wagon and I had an Acura TL for myself. I didn't want to give up my toy after the lease was up, but keeping the paid off Volvo just made too much sense. We got the Acadia with the Captain chairs, and my 5 year old climbs between them to get to his booster in the 3rd row. He can buckle himself in, so we don't have to do any climbing. We have an infant seat and a convertible seat in the captains chairs. It works beautifully. My 5 year old feels like a big shot sitting all alone in the 3rd row. And he can still see the DVD player no problem. So, I was won over by the practicality of it, even though I do miss my sporty ride. Not sure that'll help with your husband, but good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TDUGG- THANK YOU!! All your reasons were exactly why I feel the Acadia will work for us. Good to hear from another (crazy) family of 5. So, I was thinking my 8 year old would be in the 3rd row and my idea would be to have the 40 split down for extra storage most of the time. Do you think that would work? and have him still slide between the captains to the 3rd row?
Thanks for you 2 cents and I think my husband will give in soon.
Good luck and congrats on the newest baby in your family. :binky:

·
Registered
14 Posts
2+3, you're right... left that part out. Since my 5 year old goes back there alone, i often just drop down the other side of the 60/40 seats for extra storage (grocery store, home depot, etc). It's a piece of cake to do on the fly, and really increases our usable space. I also use a Thule roof rack at vacation time for even more space. So, it's really an ideal solution. Good luck, and thanks for the kind words.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts