GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 SLT that I purchased in May 07. I currently have about 21,000 miles and have serious concerns about long term reliability and quality.

My Acadia replaced a Acura MDX that did not have a single rattle or problem in 4 years.

Here I am, less than 2 years in to my Acadia and the thing vibrates, shakes, rattles, and makes grinding noise when it starts.

My sunroof shade vibrates when its open, the dealer has looked at it everytime its been for an oil change and keeps telling me nothing is wrong.
The side mirrors grind when you fold them in and out (This is new, have not show this to the dealer yet)
The steering wheel vibrates and makes noises (Dealer could not duplicate, its going in this week for another try to fix it)
Something is rattling around in the liftgate when you open it (Dealer seems to think its normal)
My steering wheel clicks when you turn it (Almost sounds like a piece of plastic rubbing)
Hesitation when accelerating out of a turn
And the thing that bugs me the most... it does not even come close to the advertised Average MPG

Don't get me wrong, I like the Acadia..... for the money it had the best features and best looks when I purchased it, but I have been thinking about trading it in, has anyone gotten rid of theirs? what did you get?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
cmg27 said:
I have a 07 SLT that I purchased in May 07. I currently have about 21,000 miles and have serious concerns about long term reliability and quality.

My Acadia replaced a Acura MDX that did not have a single rattle or problem in 4 years.

Here I am, less than 2 years in to my Acadia and the thing vibrates, shakes, rattles, and makes grinding noise when it starts.

My sunroof shade vibrates when its open, the dealer has looked at it everytime its been for an oil change and keeps telling me nothing is wrong.
The side mirrors grind when you fold them in and out (This is new, have not show this to the dealer yet)
The steering wheel vibrates and makes noises (Dealer could not duplicate, its going in this week for another try to fix it)
Something is rattling around in the liftgate when you open it (Dealer seems to think its normal)
My steering wheel clicks when you turn it (Almost sounds like a piece of plastic rubbing)
Hesitation when accelerating out of a turn
And the thing that bugs me the most... it does not even come close to the advertised Average MPG

Don't get me wrong, I like the Acadia..... for the money it had the best features and best looks when I purchased it, but I have been thinking about trading it in, has anyone gotten rid of theirs? what did you get?
Sorry to hear about your thoughts of trading in.
Some of your concerns sound familiar to what others have talked about on here.
Have you seen the discussions about the PowerSteering repalcements?
Your concern about the hesitation in the turn, can be fixed with the TSB for a transmission flash/update. Believe it helps, I did it.
Is there dirt build up in the mirror area where it pivots.
Where is the rattle in the Liftgate, Is it only when it is moving?? FOUND SOME INFO ON THIS

The vehicle vibrates and grinds when it is starting?

The MPG has been discussed on here quite a bit. Most people seem to get 16-17 Combined driving which is expected for this vehicle. What Mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bonk has some good suggestions as last resort. You might want to try a different dealer and test drive along with the service manager. Point out what you hear.....etc. If I have something wrong that I feel is drastic, I will have the service manager drive while me a passenger. Had to do with my Pony with vibration in front end which he felt and tech found. I left the car with them for the whole day. Sorry to hear you are not happy and can understand long term also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonk1313 said:
I have an appointment this week for them to look at the steering wheel vibration and noise... I suggested they look at the powersteering and rack after reading some of the posts, but he didn't seem to think that was it, but that was before he felt the vibration... so hopefully they will find it and fix it this time

I read about the updated flash... did it have much impact on your MPG?

The noise about the liftgate... I left out an important piece of info.. I was rearended a few months ago... they had to replace the back bumper and pop a few dents out of the liftgate and repaint.. ever since then it had had the rattle... the dealer did all the body work .. one of these days I am going to make them take it apart and figure out whats making the noise

The grinding noise is after the engine starts up... right at the very end it make a very brief grinding noise, service manager thought he knew exactly what that one was, but the full day they had it, they could not duplicate the noise

As far as the MPG goes... ive read the threads... and I am getting about what everyone else is 16-17, what disappoints me, is my MDX was averaging 18-19, the MPG on the acadia was supposed to be better.

If I can get these issues fixed, I would probably be happy for now... but I will still be left with my concerns about long term reliability and quality. My last 4 cars were leases, and we made the decision to buy something with the intent on holding on to it for some time... it scares me to think the issues I may have with the acadia at 5 years, or even 10 if I kept it that long. I owe less then the car is worth, so I may still look at trading in... who knows.. problem is to what? We still really need the space/utility of a SUV and there are not many good options out there in my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and to top it all off... driving around yesterday ... I saw an acadia on the side of the road with no one in it... wonder if it was broken down

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I am relatively new to the flash as far as a history of MPG changes or lack thereof. So far 3 fillups, no real change. I think Geo and Gar are happy with the flash with no change noticed.
I found this site that shows the 2004 Acura MDX MPG as 15 City, 21 Hwy. The Acadia window sticker says 16city and 24Hwy. I believe the Old standards for MPG displayed on the window sticker were different and usually showed better more favorable numbers, rather then real numbers... The fine print of the Acadia sticker says city 13 to 19mpg, and Hwy 19 to 29MPG. But if you look at the other MPG threads you will see that the recent changes in Gasoline production with the added 10% ethanol may reduce MPG by 1-2 MPG. As well as individual driving habits... I am beating the dead horse with this here, but Drivers MPG will vary, simple as that. 16-17 MPG is very good for this vehicle.

As far as the liftgate noise, still could be the same piece mentioned earlier if it got knocked loose in the accident, or it could be something different, but that is not a GMC quality issue, that is a body repair shop issue.
What part of your sunroof shade vibrates? the hard plastic part of the netting?

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Short little update....

The dealer isolated the vibration to an engine mount issue. There was no damage to the mount, but they opted to lift the Acadia, loosen all the mounts and let everything settle back in place an re-tighten everything. It seems to have resolved the issue. While test driving it to verify the vibration was gone, I took the Acadia on the freeway (not something I do regularly anymore) and noticed a jarring vibration at 65mph, so bad the center console was shaking. After another trip to the dealer, the identified that one of the tires I had replaced a few months ago was defective and can not be properly balanced and has to be replaced. I am currently waiting for them to get it in stock.

For the other issues... I opted not to do the optional flash for the transmission, I figured I will get this vibration issue fixed first and then decide if I want to do it, the service mgr does not recommend it as the few he has done have only resulted in complaints about the worse MPG, but will do it if that is what I want.

I believe once the new tire is on, the Acadia should drive like new again (I hope) and I will be happy once again I think, but I will still have lingering doubts about long term reliability and quality.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Where did you hear the MPG was supposed to be better than an MDX, it clearly states on the sticker what the MPG is and you shouldn't expect it to be better. Yes ours is better than sticker but you can't expect it. As far as your other problems try another dealer if you have one available or even a differnt service addvisor. I know that the service addvisor I work with is very intelegent and always accomidates my needs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coloradoGM said:
Where did you hear the MPG was supposed to be better than an MDX, it clearly states on the sticker what the MPG is and you shouldn't expect it to be better. Yes ours is better than sticker but you can't expect it. As far as your other problems try another dealer if you have one available or even a differnt service addvisor. I know that the service addvisor I work with is very intelegent and always accomidates my needs.
Right on the sticker... 18 City 26 Highway. I get an a average of 16-17 MPG which is WORSE than my MDX, which had 19-20 for the same daily commute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts