GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visit many forums, among them a Honda Pilot forum and a Honda Odyssey forum. At both of those Honda owners are seriously considering the Acadia (and Outlook) in a way I haven't seen import owners seriously consider a domestic model in quite some time.

And sometimes they even buy one:

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18214

·
Registered
524 Posts
Makes that Pilot look like dog duke. >:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to belong to that forum, until I sold my Pilot and bought the Acadia. There really is no comparison between the two. The one thing I will say about Honda, absolutely flawless in the 67,000 miles I owned it, and I would suspect that will be the case in 150,000 miles. As far as styling and comfort, the Pilot did not do it for me. There was zero driving excitement and it was very plain inside and out. The whole family is very excited about the Acadia.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is so strange. A customer saw my SLE in the parking lot at work and asked me how I liked it. of course I told him I loved it.

He then stated he was considering the Acadia for a time but for the sake of better gas mileage went with the Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mkaresh,
Rufio (poster on the Pilot forum) is a member of this forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same position. I'm a pretty loyal Honda owner, having owned several and they've all served me well, are a solid product, and have earned their reputation. I'm due to replace a 2000 Jeep GC and have been looking at a number of vehicles, the Pilot included.

When I finally had the chance to take a hard look at the Acadia, Outlook, and Enclave at a recent autoshow I was very impressed with what I saw. The execution of these vehicles is very much the equal of Honda and overall the packaging is better than the Pilot.
I have to agree that while the Pilot is a competent vehicle it lacks any emotion and doesn't have the appeal of the GM offerings.

It's unfortunate to hear that some GM dealers are up to the old tricks, and short term thinking, when it comes to pricing. As word spreads that dealers are demanding sticker, or more, that will just convince some potential buyer to look elsewhere without even considering these. That's something GM doesn't need right now. Word of mouth is a strong tool and it cuts both ways. Eventually the initial demand will be met and sales will retreat to more normal levels. That's when the actions of the dealers today will come back to either help or haunt them.

My ability to get a fair (not a giveway price but a fair price) deal is going to ultimately be the deciding factor on what I end up with. I simply won't pay sticker, or more, for any vehicle regardless of how good it may be. That's just lousy economics.

Ted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where are you located, Ted?

I haven't heard of any dealers asking over sticker in the northeast. Most people here on this forum seem to have been able to get one at a discount.

·
Registered
542 Posts
No comparison between Honda Pilot and Acadia. Honda has a great reputation but I find there cars, like most japanese imports to be really basic. Thin metal, inferior seating, less features for the money. The Pilot has no visual appeal at all and less functionality than the Acadia. Have had GM (Pontiacs) for the past 10+ years. Nicer cars, been very dependable. No reason to go overseas!

·
Registered
24 Posts
differences between pilot and acadia, besides Nice Styling!

yeah the Pilot is not the best looking SUV but it has one thing over the Acadia....reputation for reliability and quality.

The acadia copied alot from the Pilot but here are some of the differences that i have noticed....

both have 4x8 capabilities....
2007 Pilot does not have dual HVAC control, Power passenger seat, power folding mirrors, rear audio controls, dual sunroofs, six speed tranny, rear captain chairs, power lift gate, rear audio controls, memory seats and ofcourse on-star.

The 2007 Pilot does have very good reliability data and high resale value. It also has single front sunroof for those that don't want the biggie in the back, it has NAVI with 6 disc CD Changer, and ugly tail lights!
I also noticed that it is lighter than the Acadia by 400 lbs so could that mean it gets better fuel economy or handles better???

So these are the differences that i have noticed....since the pilot is the main competition, mabey this is useful for others considering between the two.....Let's not forget that this is probably the last model year for the pilot! 2008 will be the year that Honda introduces us to the 2009 Pilot which may raise the stakes again....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: differences between pilot and acadia, besides Nice Styling!

evoman said:
Let's not forget that this is probably the last model year for the pilot! 2008 will be the year that Honda introduces us to the 2009 Pilot which may raise the stakes again....
I think that is a key point. We are comparing a brand new vehicle to a design that is what, 5 years old? Still, I think it is a sign that GM is going in the right direction when Honda buyers will cross-shop a GM.

·
Registered
82 Posts

evoman said:
yeah the Pilot is not the best looking SUV but it has one thing over the Acadia....reputation for reliability and quality.
That is one arguement I will never undetstand.  From the way people talk you would think that a car built in Japan has never broken down.  Yet every Honda dealership has a garage.  I'm sure all those service bays arent for LOF's.

My wife had a Corolla when we got married the **** thing did not even have a clock.  That was an option.  I worked in the rental car industry for 11 years and I dont ever remember checking in a American car that did not have a clock.

We also spent plenty on that car.  Broken seat belts, the rubber wrap around the shifter tore and had to be replaced.

My father in law had a Accord it was only slightly more comfortable then my sister in laws Mazda which was a torture device to sit in for more then 5 minutes.

I grew up on GM cars and I can't ever see my self in something else.

Sorry for the rant.  Since I moved to Michigan I have become more sensitive to this issue.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My experience. Had a toyota corolla. Ran through a muffler, tires and belts within 30K. Not the most powerful vehicle but after 120K I was peddling it up hill. It had been used up. Also, needed the timing belt replaced every $60K (I think). Friend has a Honda Civic. Has 130K on it. The thing is falling apart and timing belt broke.We have a 2003 Mazda 6. On its 4th recall now. 50K on it and it already is showing some wear. The thing is falling apart and timing belt broke. On the other hand I have a 97 Pontaic Grand Prix 218,000 miles on it. Still has original exhaust system. Only two tune ups. 1 every 100,000 miles, not like toyota, tune up every 30K. Just replaced the original hoses 20K miles ago. Still runs as strong as when I bought it. Never had a break down. Having owned two GM cars with zero problems, I think the Japanese superiority is in the distant past.

PS- Honda Pilot is lighter but is rated lower on MPG.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There was a time when I thought Acura's were "Gods gift to man".

Well after owning my TL, I can say that is all hype. My 2003 TL was in the shop five times in the first two years: Sunroof replacement, leather seat replacement, new window regulator (twice), new fog lamp, transmission recall - installed transmission cooler, & new seat heater.

So I think the Honda, Acura "reliability" is a bunch of baloney. There may have been a time when these car's reliability was superior; however I don't believe that is the case now adays.....

My Acadia is the first GM vehicle that I have purchased (other than my '68 Pontiac Tempest ~ but I don't expect reliability out of that!) and if it performs well, I may have to shop GM in a few years to replace that Acura TL of mine.

BTW, have any of you seen pictures of the new Pontiac G8 ("Holden")? It looks like an BMW M3 and is supposed to outperform one.

:thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts

evoman said:
The problem with the "reputation" of Toyota and Honda is that many people who have had experience with both the domestics and imports do not have experiences which jive with the "reputation". Another problem is too often people are comparing 70s or 80s domestics with late model imports.

I had a 84 Corolla which had a busted temperature gauge which the dealer could never fix (four attempts). After blowing the radiator at 70k miles (about 5 years old)- while reading "normal" I finally had a repairshop put an old-style accessory temp guage on it. Other than that, the completely reliable Toyota only required four clutches in it's 180k miles, even though I have had domestics that were still going strong on it's first clutch at 100k miles. It went through two alternators by 100k miles, the $50 non-Toyota replacement I put in at about 102k miles had no issues before we got rid of the car.

My wife's last Accord (1998) was a POS as well. She had the V6 Coupe, and it was a pretty nice car inside. But she had guage problems too, a gas guage which she had repaired about 3 times and was still not correct when we got rid of the car. She also had it in the dealer for a transmission issue a couple times where the dealer said that he saw other Accords with the same complaint, but attributed it aging and that it wouldn't be an issue. But she found a plethora of owners of other Accord V6 owners all having similar issues between 30k and 50k miles, and when it did fail, it was about a $4k repair and the car was undrivable. Some of those owners reported having it in the shop days before transmission failure. Yet no recall, and Honda was not addressing what was clearly a systemic issue.

Our domestics on the other hand (including my 105k mile Mustang) never seem to have a repeating issue which the dealer can't handle. Unlike the Toyohonda dealers, the GM, Ford, and Chrysler dealers don't expect that you are obligated to stay with them so they actually try and satisfy the customer. The Toyohonda dealers seem to have the same sense of entitlement that the GM & Ford dealers had in 1980.

I should say that we did look at some Nissan's and we looked online at Toyota and Honda not really liking anything we saw. Also when it came down to it, I will admit to being biased toward domestics, because I am an American, and I think as an American I should strive for keeping as much of my money here as possible, I would be willing to put up with a few more issues with a domestic- but it never seems like I have to. Being in IT, I see enough of the jobs in my industry going to India, that given everything the same, I would much rather buy a domestic. I also went to school in the rust belt and had a lot of friends whos families had been hurt as Americans started buying non-domestics.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a Pilot (2003 model -- it's first model year), and in a few days I'll have an Acadia. I've really enjoyed the Pilot and it has served me well. It has become quite commonplace and "familiar" in looks. But I'm very glad I got it and I will be holding onto it.

That being said, I'm thrilled about getting my Acadia in a few days.

·
Registered
126 Posts

evoman said:
.....Let's not forget that this is probably the last model year for the pilot! 2008 will be the year that Honda introduces us to the 2009 Pilot which may raise the stakes again....
Enjoy the Acadia rave reviews while we can. I am sure as soon as the 2009 Pilot is out, it will be the best thing since 'sliced bread'. As long as the Honda badge is on it, nothing else can compete. Pretty much all my friends are Acura and Honda guys. I think they make great vehicles, but I also think GM makes some great vehicles (there are some GM dogs though...). When I tell them I am buying a GMC, they ask me if I checked out the MDX, or Pilot, etc. It is just assumed that a domestic vehicle is a lesser vehicle. I do feel better buying a domestic. Probably since I grew up in Michigan with most of my family in the auto industry.

·
Registered
269 Posts

FRW said:
.... It is just assumed that a domestic vehicle is a lesser vehicle.....
I think this is the right statement, because it brings in the adage about what it means to assume, and the assumption that Toyohondas are by name a superior vehicle does just that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
joetz said:
Where are you located, Ted?

I haven't heard of any dealers asking over sticker in the northeast. Most people here on this forum seem to have been able to get one at a discount.
I live in the midwest (Minnesota) and haven't heard of any dealer asking over sticker around here either (yet). But I've seen dealers in these parts that can't resist packing the price with worthless add ons to bump the price for a high demand vehicle. I haven't gone out to do any pricing at this point so I don't know what the prevailing situation is around here.

My point is that the dealer is the face of GM to a potential customer. Right now, GM needs to draw in conquest sales and these vehicles can do it for them. Dealers that think short term and grab excessive profits now risk the future for both themselves and GM. There are plenty of buyers who won't even consider looking at a vehicle if they can't negotiate on the price so they become lost sales to GM. That's bad for GM because these vehicles are very much worth considering. I'm one of those potential conquests.
I've heard the arguments that if dealer can sell everything they can get what's the difference to them? The difference is that when a customer gets burned on deal like this they likely won't be back again - reality does eventually set in for these buyers. Plus the customers that could have been but never will be is a negative for GM in terms of future sales and volumes.

I'm just speaking in generalities and going on the comments made on the forum by a few folks regarding dealers not budging off sticker.

Sorry if I'm getting to deep here, it's just a pet peeve of mine and applies to any brand.

Ted

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is not a GM dealer thing to tack on the dealer surcharges. Anyone remember the Miata when it came out? Mazda dealers were tacking on $10k for that $20k car, and it was just as mass-market as the Acadia. I have seen Honda dealers tack on surcharges on the Ridgeline and the S2000. Nissan dealers here tried to tack on to the 350Z.

Here, Acadia supply is improving, and the dealers are coming off MSRP -- both my dealer and the dealer closest to me have somewhere between 8 and 12 Acadias each on the lot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts