GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving 150 miles to Montgomery for a meeting with coworkers in our 2007 Acadia with 9000 miles on it. I was driving out of town in Chicago area on business, she called to say "gauges on dashboard going crazy, air conditioning not working". I told her to pull off at first exit, shut down and restart (had not happened before but somewhere on this site others have had similar problem). :eek:
They got to a truck stop, shut off ignition, could not restart Acadia was completely dead. She called dealership, they referred her to GM Roadside service, they of course said "we never heard of that before".
Truck driver overhearing discussions told her "those things do that all the time, disconnect battery cable, wait 10 minutes and reconnect it". He was exactly right! Once done, computer reset and started off again on their drive.
So much for General Motors electrical design technology on a $40,000 vehicle, the dealership, and GM Roadside Service. :angryfire:
Looks like this Acadia is indeed the spiritual home to a deceased Lucas electronics engineer!
Given the common cam/engine failures on the 2008 can't even tell GM to give me a new vehicle! Anybody got any bright ideas, cannot find any specific TSB on this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think it is an "onstar" conspiracy. >:D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Honda Pilots are having almost the same type of electrical problems. As far as the cam goes I would guess a bad batch of cams were installed, but I haven't heard of many engine failures.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why does everyone have to make their problems with cars so dramatic. BEWARE, seriously it's a car with thousands of moving parts and multiple computer systems. As big bear said the same thing happens on Pilots so I don't think we need to chastize GM for this. After all what you did was esentially a reboot of the computer system. My guess is it went in to failover mode which allowed you to stop the vehicle safetly and then the computer will not allow you to restart until it has had a hard reboot done. IMO you should bring it to the dealer and talk to them about it. Also when you do don't start with this piece of crap needs to be fixed, that'll get you no where with the dealer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I really would have been only disgusted if I was driving it, however with my wife driving it and finding out it suffers from unpredictable electrical failure, it could have let her and her coworkers down in an unsafe area with bad results. One expects weird behavior in high performance vehicles, it is their nature, but something like an Acadia should be nothing but reliable, period. None of my other current family vehicles have suffered from this kind of strangeness, and from the multiple postings in this site obviously GM has an electrical design problem with these vehicles.
I really do not expect the dealership to find anything wrong-they can't even get the lumbar to work or the jerky seat & tracks to perform on a par with the cheapest Pontiacs, but it will sit there until they/GMC find something, I have no use for this kind of basic functional crap in a vehicle promoted with such high expectations.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Was yours an early build? My 2007 built in May has 15,000 miles on it with not even the slightest glitch. Did not even get the transmission flash as it does not need it. I would be upset too with such a thing happening but it sounds like a quick and certainly cheap fix. I'll bet its a once in a lifetime oddball computer glitch.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jrc50 said:
Looks like this Acadia is indeed the spiritual home to a deceased Lucas electronics engineer!
Ahh Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. ;D I've had many experiences with cars equipped with Lucas systems. The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

I can't find any info in GM SI2000 regarding this specific condition. Maybe it did just need a "reboot". At least we don't have a Microsoft system in our cars like Ford is putting in theirs (Sync).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hunt said:
I think it is an "onstar" conspiracy. >:D
hmmm..i remember, i was locked out of my vehicle..went out of the vehicle to check a parking information with key in the ignition and engine running... maybe that was a way onstar tried to remind me that keeping the subscription is a good idea..

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are not happy with your Acadia, get rid of it. If it the dealership that is the problem, get rid of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
dla said:
If you are not happy with your Acadia, get rid of it. If it the dealership that is the problem, get rid of them.
I think this is a bit harsh. What gets resolved by quitting? When I buy a car, I assume the manufacturer will build a vehicle that is reliable... sort of what is implied in todays world. If GMC or any manufacturer expects to compete then they better fall within generally accepted standards of reliability. I haven't heard of anyone needing a complete reboot but I have had to stop my Acadia and turn the ignition off then restart to get the radio/nav system going again.

I certainly don't carry tools in the back of my Acadia... I did keep a tool kit in the trunk of my old cars back in the 50's but I was young and didn't mind then. If I needed to remove the battery terminals I probably don't have anything to do it... I'll be calling AAA.

I bought a car... not a Microsoft operating system!! If this is a part of the "new breed" then they better put a "reboot button" on the dash. This isn't acceptable vehicle performance by any standards.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"reboot button" on the dash[/color]

Now that is hilarious. ;D Good suggestion, if this is a widespread problem, although I have a hunch it is not. (at least I hope not). :-\

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Outlook did basically the same thing - lots of gauges not working, ALL the "idiot" lights lit up, Onstar quit!, no electrical components at all. It turns out the fusebox was flooded with water from a leak near the windshield and at the sunroof. After 10 days of : remove the windshield, headliner, dashboard,etc and replace the fusebox, we now have a running vehicle! The dealer could not have been more accommodating: loaner car, daily phone calls and e-mails and detailing the whole car before I picked it up. They, too, had not seen this before, but they sure seem to have worked hard to repair it! :cheers:

·
Registered
956 Posts
We all expect perfection, but the truth is that there are gremlins in all man made products from the laptop to the space shuttle. No one likes them but it's a fact of life.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hunt said:
"reboot button" on the dash[/color]

Now that is hilarious. ;D Good suggestion, if this is a widespread problem, although I have a hunch it is not. (at least I hope not). :-\
This was suggested in another thread...a "Control Alt Delete" button!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was reading on the honda pilot forum about an owner
whose engine blew at 35k miles, and only 8 months out of warrenty.
honda told him to basically p*ss off!
$ 8700 repair through honda, talk about real problems!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dickf5187 said:
dla said:
I think this is a bit harsh. What gets resolved by quitting? When I buy a car, I assume the manufacturer will build a vehicle that is reliable... sort of what is implied in todays world. If GMC or any manufacturer expects to compete then they better fall within generally accepted standards of reliability. I haven't heard of anyone needing a complete reboot but I have had to stop my Acadia and turn the ignition off then restart to get the radio/nav system going again.

I certainly don't carry tools in the back of my Acadia... I did keep a tool kit in the trunk of my old cars back in the 50's but I was young and didn't mind then. If I needed to remove the battery terminals I probably don't have anything to do it... I'll be calling AAA.

I bought a car... not a Microsoft operating system!! If this is a part of the "new breed" then they better put a "reboot button" on the dash. This isn't acceptable vehicle performance by any standards.
Do you expect to have 0 problems on 100,000 cars, I guess I don't get it. The US makes billion dollar planes and satellites that have failures so how can you expect a $40000 vehicle to be error free. I believe the term is **** happens. I had a gauge failure on my Chevy but I wasn't pissed off and I didn't say what a piece of crap, I just took it to the dealer and had them fix it. As I said before if you build a product with thousands of moving parts and multiple computer systems a failure can happen. Hell Land Rovers are the biggest pieces of crap and cost $70000 and that's not just my opinion that is the opinion of a Land Rover Technician that I know. So if someone could explain to me how they can resonable expect a vehicle to have no failures without saying just because that's how it should be, I would like to hear it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Dickf5187 said:
dla said:

Do you expect to have 0 problems on 100,000 cars, I guess I don't get it. The US makes billion dollar planes and satellites that have failures so how can you expect a $40000 vehicle to be error free. I believe the term is **** happens. I had a gauge failure on my Chevy but I wasn't pissed off and I didn't say what a piece of crap, I just took it to the dealer and had them fix it. As I said before if you build a product with thousands of moving parts and multiple computer systems a failure can happen. Hell Land Rovers are the biggest pieces of crap and cost $70000 and that's not just my opinion that is the opinion of a Land Rover Technician that I know. So if someone could explain to me how they can resonable expect a vehicle to have no failures without saying just because that's how it should be, I would like to hear it.

AMEN! But I am sure the comments were made in the heat of the moment. Lets cut some slack

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess that's OK... talk to me when it's your wife that gets stranded along the side of the road.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Dickf5187 said:
I guess that's OK... talk to me when it's your wife that gets stranded along the side of the road.
She has a much better chance of being stranded by a flat tire. I guess they haven't made a perfect tire yet either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
big bear craig said:
Dickf5187 said:
She has a much better chance of being stranded by a flat tire. I guess they haven't made a perfect tire yet either.
You don't want to start me on wife's getting stranded on the road. What was your wife 5 miles from the nearest town? My wife got stranded in the middle of Wyoming 100 miles from the nearest town with a flat tire, and she was pregnant and had my 3 year old with. She wasn't able to losen the lugs so she waited for 3 hours until someone finally stopped (No Cell Service). As big bear said I can't believe I pay 150 dollars for a piece of rubber and they can't stop it from going flat what gives? So I think your wife being stranded is a pretty weak card to play. Sorry to be so harsh but I think it is totally lame to expect no failures in hundreds of thousands of cars. Like I said before it could have just died while driving it which is essentially what happens when you get a flat tire at 75mph. :binky: :binky:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts