GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the SLT interior mirror with Compass and auto-dimming feature can be purchased as a spare part and plugged into an SLE model in place of the non-compass mirror?

My dealer quoted $320 for the mirror as a replacement part but does not know if it will plug in.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
For $320, you can get yourself a portable GPS unit with a compass built in and then have navigation too.

I had briefly asked my salesguy about changing the mirror out, but he didn't know much and I didn't care enough to pursue it. I found it odd that with all the little extras the Acadia has, they couldn't just include the upgraded mirror in the SLE model. ::)

·
Registered
1 Posts
... if it will plug in, and included the Homelink functionality, I'd be interested...

-grumpy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would be interested in this too....... Anybody out there got any answers or suggestions?
I really think they should have made this an option. ???

·
Registered
405 Posts
grumpy said:
... if it will plug in, and included the Homelink functionality, I'd be interested...

-grumpy
the homelink is not part of the rear view mirror so i don't think that it would have it. i bet that if you could get a slt mirror you could get a homelink too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer checked on the compatibility issue and after checking the mirror harness on my SLE, they report that the DD7 mirror with compass should plug in and work. The dealer and he is ordering one for me ($320) and I'll confirm that this works when it has been installed.

FYI...I tried using a stick-on compass and it was fruitless as there are too many magnetic sources in the vehicle. The Bose speaker in the middle of the dash seems to always be north of the compass :>)

·
Registered
403 Posts
One of the reasons I went to SLT1, auto dimming mirror.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up the mirror on Friday...plugged it in...and it works fine...both the Compass and the auto dimming feature.

·
Registered
119 Posts
did you install ?

did you replace both mirrors?

Is this the housing with the turn signals also ?

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
shot_1 said:
did you install ?

did you replace both mirrors?

Is this the housing with the turn signals also ?

Thanks
He's talking about the rearview mirror mounted on the windshield.

·
Registered
119 Posts
oh............ :-[

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bobboots:

Does the mirror that you put in also have the onstar buttons? You can buy these GM Autodimming mirrors on
E-Bay, used for $10.00, which have onstar, temp, and compass. I agree that they cheapened the SLE too much.
And should have included the auto-dimming.
I got my Summit White SLE on March 28th, and really like it. But I am used to the Auto-dimming that I have had
in all my other GM products. We like cloth, so no SLT for us.
Let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Cool... I didn't think about looking on ebay! If I could get one of those mirrors cheap, I'd definitely do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bobboots

Thanks for all your info! I called my dealer (backed with your info) told him about the mirror with compass would fit in place of old mirror and even gave him the info you posted. They finally found the part and the cost was $340 ..........$20 more then yours. When I went there after work to order an pay for it he couldn't find the stock# in GMC stock. Appparently they changed the inventory# because there is a RECALL on them. So bottom line I am getting the new mirror with the fix for $160. Go figure? Thought I would pass this on so others could get this great price!!!!!

Thanks again for the info................I love my blue-gold SLE!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Canada....looks like you hit the jackpot on your mirror deal...congrats!

GoGetter...the SLT mirror (DD7) has the 3 onstar buttons (Phone,OnStar,Help +) with the green LED, plus an on/off button with a green LED to the left of them for the auto mirror function.

The display only has a compass since the temp is displayed near the odometer indicator. I would just be sure that anything you buy on ebay has the same connector as the DD7 on the back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anybody have the GM part number for this mirror? Also, for those of you that have installed it, how easy was it? How does the mirror attach to the windshield?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have the part number, but they can look it up using the DD7 code in the Acadia Parts Bill of Materials (BOM). To install it, you unplug the connector on the rear of the mirror. Note that this is the locking type of connector so you have to depress a latch with your thumb while removing it.

Since the mirror is mounted to a metal slide-mount on the windshield, use a torx screwdriver to loosen the setscrew on the old mirror, then slide up toward the ceiling to remove. Reverse the process to install the new one.

Also be aware that there is a two-piece plastic cable cover that you will need to carefully detach from the old mirror, then reattach to the new mirror AFTER the mirror is mounted in place. The upper piece of this has a velcro tab that attaches at the headliner (celing). It's pretty obvious once it's in your hand.

When you first turn the car on after installing, the Compass display will read "CAL". The car needs to be driven thru 360 degrees to complete the calibration, so just drive it around the block once and it will calibrate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts