GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried to be open-minded about it, but their biggest selling point on the interior is that there is a center console in the back that you can replace with a 6 inch wide "seat". Not too impressed... Also it only seats 6 comfortably (assuming the third row is "comfy"). the 7th passenger has to sit on that 6" wide "seat" referenced earlier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pretty short wheelbase... bet the ride quality isn't as good not to mention overall interior room. Just guessing from the numbers I see.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
At over a foot shorter than the Acadia, the new Highlander was just too small for me to consider. The Mazda CX-9 was the only other CUV that I gave serious consideration. Of course, we were replacing a minivan and I didn't want to downsize too much on cargo and people space.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
loach said:
At over a foot shorter than the Acadia, the new Highlander was just too small for me to consider. The Mazda CX-9 was the only other CUV that I gave serious consideration. Of course, we were replacing a minivan and I didn't want to downsize too much on cargo and people space.
+1 for looking at the CX-9. I liked the styling, but it didn't do much for my wife (plus no XM or OnStar). The Highlander's looks nearly put us both to sleep, plus like you mentioned, it's quite a bit smaller than the Acadia.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Generally, I think the Highlander is butt ugly compared to the Acadia or my favorite, the Outlook. Toyota seems to be on another planet when it comes to visual appeal or maybe I'm just getting to **** old and stubborn to change my ways. However, I have owned quite a few Toyotas over the years including a 2004 Highlander and I have to say the quality was nothing short of excellent for the vehicles I've owned. My wife's 2007 Camry in all honesty seems to have seen a drop in quality where the interior is concerned. Plastics are harder and cheaper feeling than in years past (progress?) and the seat comfort (XLE Leather) is on par or slightly worse than the lambdas. I only have my Volvo to compare seat comfort to and it is so cushy that everything else pales by comparison. It's a tough call to say whether the Highlander or Acadia/Outlook is a better value. A comparably equipped Highlander does cost less. I'm sure the Toyota will not offer as soft of a ride due to its wheelbase and overall length. It will also feel a bit more cramped inside although I don't remember any sense of discomfort in my 04 Highlander other than the front seat bottoms were too short and didn't offer enough thigh support. It was a very nice SUV and the JBL sound system was among the best car audio systems I have ever heard. It just happened to be tuned particularly well to the internal geometry of the Highlander. That exact system in my wife's Camry doesn't sound as good. One important point is that if rear cargo space is important, the Highlander won't measure up as the seats do not fold completely flat. This was a disappointment for me. My Volvo wagon has far more usable space than the Highlander or it's expensive Lexus cousin. Also, rear seat access is far superior on the Lambdas. GM really put some thought into that approach. I'm not familiar with GM stabilitrac but I do know the Highlander's system works very well and has always received top honors from professional reviewers. Here are a few features on the Highlander that I believe are absent on the Acadia. Excuse me if I missed a few but this should be relatively close. I'm comparing a well equipped Highlander limited to a similarly equipped Acadia SLT-2 w/convienance pkg and power rear gate or Outlook XR with the convenience pkgs, advanced audio and preferred pkg. No NAV or Rear Entertainment included.

Highlander unique features:

Temp control on steering wheel
Adjustable headrests
Driver's knee airbag
Downhill assist
Hill start assist
Snow mode
Powered outlets main switch on dash
Built in dedicated rear camera (NAV not required) Same 3 x 4 display used for heater and driver information data
Heated Axillary storage box
Continuously variable heated seat controls
Dedicated On/Off tailgate switch inside glove box (lockable for safety reasons)
Dedicated Bluetooth w/wheel mounted switch
Dash mount aux audio input w/cover plate
Tonneau cover std w/dedicated under floor storage
Sunglass holder in overhead console
Console mounted convex rear conversation mirror
Keyless entry w/push button start (smart key)
Covered 110VAC Outlet
3 - 12 volt outlets
Driver, passenger and rear area inside temp display
Heated mirrors std
Driver and passenger express up/dwn std
Powered passenger seat (4 way) std on Limited
Stow away rear console (shaky design)

Sorry if there are similar features on the Acadia/Outlook that I assumed were missing.

You can check out the Highlander here: http://www.toyotaiguide.com/

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure the Highlander and Acadia are really comparable, particularly in size and content. The GMC is a bigger, more comfortable vehicle, and I think it does quite well on mileage. The build quality is excellent, and the ride is quiet but responsive.

The GMC seems more upscale to me, and I would agree the Mazda CX9 is more comparable. I cross shopped the CX9, and even with the Ford "family discount" (Z plan), I chose the Acadia and have not had any second thoughts.

Good luck with whatevery you purchase. Erik

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on the 2008 Highlander, and it seems to me that it would likely be a better choice if you need something a little smaller, or if you only have 2 kids (i.e. 3rd row is for occasional use only). It does look a bit odd in pictures, but looks much better in person (the Acadia is more photogenic). Toyota did manage to make it look a bit more muscular, but the Acadia looks a bit better imo.

What I like about the Highlander is the ability to get Bluetooth, the rear-view camera (which is standard on all but the base model) is separate from the NAV, and the hatch window opens up without having to open up the entire hatch. It's also the only SUV that will allow you to get NAV, bluetooth, rear DVD, and sunroof all at once (Lambdas don't have bluetooth, CX-9 can't have DVD and sunroof together).

I don't know how it drives, though. The Acadia has been getting excellent review concerning comfort, so I guess we'll have to see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nsx138,

How did you get to see it in person? Did it arrive at your local dealer already?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Local dealers here are getting them at the end of the week; however they had training sessions with a model they were driving around. They had that model hidden in the back, behind the dealership building where I wasn't really supposed to go (I actually drove behind there by mistake, I swear!) Think it was silver, or that blueish silver tint that's apparently the "in" color, according to designers.

Saleswoman was cryptic about it, too, saying I could see the new models when they came in, but that they also had another loaded one somewhere if I didn't see the options I wanted (I can only assume she meant the model they drove for their training session). So I didn't sit inside it, only an outside look.

It's one of those cars that you have to see in person, vs. the Acadia that looks good in pictures (and in person). I'm still leaning toward the Acadia, will have to see if the Highlander has any real room in that 3rd row (even though I'd only use it occasionally).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tom H said:
The Highlander is officially released. Don't see rear audio controls on the web site. Pretty high tech overall.
I have an 08 Acadia SLT-2. There is no comparison between the Acadia and the Highlander. I had a new Highlander, yes it was well built, yes it is way overpriced and it still does not have little features like, seat memory, back up sensors, battery run down protection, I can go on & on. The last straw with me was when I neglected to close one door tight, the next morning the Highlander battery was dead as a doornail. There is no reason why (for the price you pay) these items can not be made avaialable. My Acadia is far superior to the Highlander that is sitting on the dealers lot!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Highlander vs. Acadia price comparison

I'll get 2008 Highlander pricing into my database within the next day or two. I also hope to test drive one next week, and will report back if I do.

Update: the 2008 Highlander is now in my database.

I similarly loaded up both the 2008 Highlander and the 2008 Acadia. Results:

MSRP to MSRP: Highlander Sport about $3,800 less (about $3,000 less if comparing the Limited and not the Sport)

Invoice to Invoice: Highlander Sport about $5,400 less (about $4,500 less if comparing the Limited)

Adjusting for feature differences (4-way lumbar, OnStar, cladding, etc.) narrows the gap to about $1,500 at MSRP and $3,300 at invoice.

There are no incentives on either vehicle yet. It seems safe to assume, though, that the Acadia will have a $1,000 rebate once on lots, making the adjusted MSRPs close together.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Take a look at the Toyo site and peruse the specs on the Highlander.
It does not compare directly with the Lambdas because it is still smaller and does not offer equivalent room. A foot wide seat (can be stored in the center console up front) is offered in the middle row and the third row passengers sit so high up that they lack any room. The gas mileage is the same as the Lambdas and the weight is up to 4100 lbs. It claims to tow 5000lbs.

Canadiandriver did a report on the Highlander complete with pictures.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/08highlander.htm

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not seen in person but that 3rd row looks small and tough to get into. Looks are very vanilla as are all Toyos IMO. I feel cramped just looking at it. If it were $10,000 below the Acadia price I might take a look at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Keith said:
If it were $10,000 below the Acadia price I might take a look at it.
It's interesting to look at the invoice pricing on Edmunds: for a loaded AWD Highlander Limited, the invoice price is about $5k less than MSRP, while the invoice price for a similarly equipped Acadia is about $3k lower than MSRP. Lots of room to play with price on the Highlander, I'm wondering if Toyota was getting nervous with potential sales and set a much lower invoice price as an incentive?

Anyways, it's still nowhere close to being $10k less than the Acadia!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I made arrangements to take an Outlook XR to my house today just to verify that it will fit in my garage. If everything worked out I was planning to place my build order provided the trade-in offer was acceptable. On the way there I decided to stop by the Toyota dealer just to take a peek at the 08 Highlander in person. My curiosity had the best of me. Bad move, I should not have done that. I was very surprised by the Highlander indeed. It is larger than it looks in the pictures but still smaller than the lambdas. I ended up going for a 15 mile test drive and all I can say is wow! It felt very solid and responsive compared to the Outlooks I had test driven. It's still butt ugly like all Toyotas, especially the sissy looking rear end, but it is built very well. The standard backup camera is awesome as is the rear opening window hatch. I think cameras should be required by law on all SUV type cars but that topic could be in it's own thread. The Highlander handled beautifully and the transmission was tight and sure feeling. The Driver info LCD screen in the dash is a great concept. The leather seating is of great quality and the adjustable drivers seat bottom is a stroke of genius. I'm not sure what I'll do now because I was feeling so good about going back to an American automobile. Both the Acadia and IMHO the Outlook are leaps and bounds better looking and both have some brilliant and unique features. They both ride slightly smoother than the Highlander. I thought that maybe I was letting my imagination get the best of me so I went ahead and drove the Outlook home as planned straight after the Highlander drive. Big difference here. As smooth as the Outlook feels on the road, the hunting transmission and generally lower materials quality and somewhat weaker build were apparent. Things just felt cheaper even though the fit and finish are as good as it gets as far as workmanship is concerned. Bottom line is that I did not place my Outlook order. To add insult to injury, the Saturn dealer completely low-balled my trade. He offered what amounted to below Kelly Blue book (fair) value for a car that is in factory new condition with 17,000 mi. and a year left on the original factory warranty. It was a joke. Don't know what to do now. I have to sit back and give some serious thought to these vehicles.

If anyone out there is toying with the idea of the new Highlander vs an Acadia/Outlook do yourself a favor and just go buy the Acadia/Outlook. The agony of indecision is too much to take! For me it's going to be a tough call.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I just got back from the Toyota dealer myself. I did not get a chance to drive be because surprisingly enough the sales staff leaves at 6:00pm. I did manage to get a finance manager to open one up for me. Overall it does seem very solid. However it is way smaller that the Acadia, and that is a big difference point for me as we are in a school car pool for my son and we haul 6 teenagers twice a week.

I had my wife go through the middle of the second row into the third row. She had done that on the Acadia very, and I mean very, easily. Here it was hilarious. Her feet got caught up to the point that she had to reach back and push it forward with her hand.

The third row only carries two people, so to do the car pool I would have to have the 2nd row in bench configuration, losing the nice captain chairs style. Not so with the Acadia.

Also, my son was drooling over the rear audio controls in the Acadia as the first thing he does when he gets in the car is tune the radio to his favorite rock station (from sports radio where I always have it).

So in my particular situation, Lambdas win over the Highlander. No question about it.

Oh, I almost forgot, the wife also thought the Highlander was way uglier than the Lambdas, and since it will be her 40th b'day present... nuff said.

Will be placing order soon!!

Now the other research begins... to lease or to finance?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Federico, I couldn't agree more. For your needs the Highlander just doesn't cut it. Definitely a Lambda in your future! I my case the third row seat is a complete waist of money. I didn't use it even one time with my last Highlander. I don't need, don't want it, but it's becoming the norm for all manufacturers. I need the rear cargo space but still want all the other car-like characteristics plus the ground clearance. I think most of todays SUV or "crossovers" as they badge them are just minivans in drag. Just replace the rear hinged doors with sliders and we've come full circle.

I totally agree with your wife...the Highlander is uglier than the Lambdas. In fact, it's uglier than dirt. No question about it, the Lambdas have got to be the best looking series of cars to come along in quite a while. Very classy look to them all. I wish I had a better feel for the longevity because they are very, very expensive in my book.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts