GMC Acadia Forum banner

cold feet

7K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  loach 
#1 ·
I'm a long-time (like 2 years) lurker---I read this every day! Anyway, I'm getting scared off of the Acadia based on some serious problems some of you are experiencing with your vehicles. The Acadia is hands down my favorite car on the road, and will work well with our family of 4 + the dog. But, here's my question...of the serious problems and issues some of you are having, would my buying an SLE eliminate a lot of headache? Or, are there major mechanical problems that are consistent with all 3 trim levels. I have a volvo now and am burned out on repairing some of the higher-end options I have now--so an SLE sounds OK to me. Help!

#2 ·
What you are experiencing is known as forum fatigue. Keep in mind that people who have problems with their Acadia are the ones who post on this forum. The majority of people who do not have problems with their vehicle, do not. I understand how it looks. It gives the appearance that the Acadia is a lemon. When in fact, these problems people are having, is in the minority. This is true of all vehicles and most forums for them. If you like the Acadia and it meets your needs, I would not let this forum discourage you from buying it. The odds of you having any major problems are slim to none. I too have been reading this forum for awhile now. I have yet to purchase one. I plan on getting a 2009 model and can't wait to get it. I think the Acadia is one of the best and most innovative designs to come along in a long time. Good luck and keep the faith.

#4 ·
skyhawk - I totally agre with you.

mmmaaa - For sure the SLE will have fewer opportunities for error. The thing that concerns me the most is that you concluded that there were "some serious problems" with the Acadia. That is a problem with forums like this. They reflect the skewed negative opinions of the few that had problems and don't really reflect the overall picture.

The Acadia is one of the best cars built today. It gets a consumer reports recommended buy and has had very few problems. In my opinion, most of the problems on this forum have been minor, and all but 1 or 2 people have had any issues successfully fixed.

If you are shying away from an Acadia based on it having problems, then it would not makes sense for you to buy any car as they all have problems like what you see on this forum.

The vast majority of Acadia owners have no issues at all. Good luck making your decision.

#5 ·
I agree with skyhawk, I have had no major issues with my 08 Acadia. I have the SLE and it is a great vehicle. If you like it then get it, more people have them with no problems than those that do have problems.

#8 ·
Thrumcap said:
Didn't Consumer Reports say the Acadia was one of the ten worst new cars to buy based on resale? ???
I'm a CR subscriber and I'm pretty sure I've read every word they've had to say about the Acadia. I didn't read that. Are you just a troll throwing s--t against the wall seeing if you can make it stick? Or do you have something to actually back up your statement?

Even if they did say it, on what basis would they know about resale values on a car that's been out a year and a half?

#9 ·
Didn't Consumer Reports say the Acadia was one of the ten worst new cars to buy based on resale?

I have not heard this and I reviewed consumer reports prior to purchasing. As for resale, I don't buy a car thinking how much I can get for it in a few years as I tend to keep my cars until at least 75k miles. I want to get a full life cycle on what I bought.

My wife and I love the car and with 1850 miles on it, we would do it all over again.

#10 ·
Thrumcap said:
Didn't Consumer Reports say the Acadia was one of the ten worst new cars to buy based on resale? ???
So CR supposedly says that a vehicle that has been on the market slightly over 1-year is one of the ten worst to buy based on resale, yet they still slap it with a Recommended rating? :drunk:

#11 ·
As for resale value. Everything I have read says that it will have a very good resale value. For example:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/2007-GMC-Acadia/ says that "Though higher priced than its competitors, the Acadia is expected to have excellent resale value, retaining 51 percent of its value after 36 months compared to the Honda Pilot's already-impressive 46 percent."

I also just looked on-line. The Acadia gets CR Recommended buy and gets an above average predicted reliability near, but just under the Toyota Sequoia. It also gets an overall score of 75 which in its class is only beat by the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class which got a 77.

For a little comparison:
Acadia: Overall Score 75 Predicted reliability - above average
Volvo XC-90: Overall Score 74 Predicted reliability - average
Mazda CX-9: Overall Score 71 Predicted reliability - worse than average

I am not intending on slamming the Volvo or the Mazda, but am using them to make a point. The average reliability of automobiles has risen so high, that the competition is steep. Both the Volvo and the Mazda are fantastic cars and I would recommend them to anyone who likes them and has their needs met.

#12 ·
loach said:
Thrumcap said:
I'm a CR subscriber and I'm pretty sure I've read every word they've had to say about the Acadia. I didn't read that. Are you just a troll throwing s--t against the wall seeing if you can make it stick? Or do you have something to actually back up your statement?

Even if they did say it, on what basis would they know about resale values on a car that's been out a year and a half?
Lighten up Francis. In case you didn't notice, my post was in the form of a question. After reading a post on another forum about CR reporting poor resale, I found it odd to see it reported here as recommended buy by the same publication. Thanks for answering my question.

#14 ·
I have a 2007 (built in February) with almost 12K miles with no issues (except for the box on top of the dash - it now will not open and my EZ pass is in there - this is my 2nd one) - I would say the chances are good that you will get one without issues.

#15 ·
We have had ours for 15 mos. and 18,000 miles. No mechanical problems at all. I did not like the vehicle at first(bought it for my wife) but have grown to like it a lot now. It is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever owned. I wish it got better mileage, but it's a heavy car with a lot of room so I understand why it doesn't.

#17 ·
Johnway,

Hey I was too quick to jump in and help. I just noticed you were on that previous thread with the same problem and got it replaced and you were also successful once before on prying it open. Great place to store the EZ pass, but can be a nagging problem. Trying a little "MacGyver" is better than taking the time to bring it in the dealer.

As for Cold Feet. The Acadia is too good to pass up.

#18 ·
I hear your pain with the Volvo. I was spending over 2 grand a year on air alone and it was only 4 years old!!!

I've had my Acadia for a year and I have 20,000+ on it. I've had it in 2ce in the shop for two days (which is at least 3 times less than my first year with the Volvo and over 2 weeks less in the shop)

I guess what I am saying is that I jumped and am VERY happy!

#20 ·
Got a 2008 slt-1 and love it. The miles per gallon is just what I expected about 15-16 around town and 21-23 on the road not interstate driving. Have had a couple things for dealer to look at but were minor issues. The only thing was I have had to learn to drive with the windows up on the road because of noise and wind catching the car if its blowing to hard not a problem though. Might get a new one in a year or two as I would love to have air condition seats. Another thing have patience with the mpg as mine is just starting to get good at about 2600 miles

#21 ·
We just passed the one-year mark on our 07 SLT-2, and are still loving it. It has about 21,000 miles on it.

It has been to the dealer for one warranty repair, on the auto-opening rear hatch. We have had zero problems besides the hatch.

The mileage is "fair" for a large vehicle. I get 18 - 24, depending upon conditions and passenger load.

It's the most comfortable car and has the nicest set of options of anything I've ever owned.

If I needed another big vehicle in the future, I would buy again without hesitation.

I'm hoping my next purchase will be after some of the kids are out of the house, and we can downsize.

#22 ·
We only have about 700 miles or so on ours and the gas mileage sucks at about 12.6 MPG (according to the DIC, which I did pen and paper calc on the first full tank and it was almost perfect). On a trip to the ballpark (almost all freeway) I had it creep up to 14.5. From what I've read I do have hopes for the future.

When we were first shopping around I often saw the lid for the jack area was open and didn't close well on the various cars I saw on the lots. It didn't matter if it was the GMC, Saturn, or Buick -- they all seemed to have that problem. Our jack lid latch seems to work fine -- so far. It's not like we open it all the time either. Has anyone else seen this on their car (or at a dealership's lot)?

No other problems to date -- but we're still driving a very new vehicle. We just got our plates in the mail two days ago.

#23 ·
Thrumcap said:

That's rich. Like Consumer Reports actually reports facts, instead of taking advertising $$ and making crap up, just like all the other piss-poor excuses for North American motoring / vehicle magazines.

The Acadia is fine. There's some people with problems with every vehicle. Consider that GM has put out TSBs or recalls for just about every issue that has come up, and then Google the words "hidden warranty" and "Honda".

#24 ·
toasteroven said:
That's rich. Like Consumer Reports actually reports facts, instead of taking advertising $$ and making crap up, just like all the other piss-poor excuses for North American motoring / vehicle magazines.
I realize there are alot of CR haters out there. We're all entitled to our opinions about them, but at least get your facts straight if you're going to bash them. They do not take advertising dollars. You will find no advertising in their magazine other than ads for their own products.

And as I pointed out in another post, they said nothing of the sort about the Acadia resale value. Under "predicted depreciation", they say "N/A" because it's too new to evaluate.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.