GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Acadia has 70k on it and had the check engine light come on. Before the cel came on the traction control light would periodically come on from time to time. I have done some research on both problems but my main concern it the code P0496 evap problem. The traction control problem seems to be gone because I had the brake pads cleaned and the magnet that collects debris wiped off. Does anyone know about this specific code, I have been to a local mechanic that thought the only problem could be a pressure sensor switch in the gas tank. He put a new switch in but the check engine light came back on. Also the remote start would not work, but have heard that it will not work if there is a check engine light on. When I went to get in to the vechicle at the local mechanic I thought I would try the remote start it worked but then got into the car and the check engine light was on. The good news is the mechanic gave me a refund since he could not fix the car. I am going to have to take it to a gm dealer, just want to have as much info as I can. Please help.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My 2010 service manual points to either the fuel tank pressure solenoid OR the evaporator purge solenoid valve. There are several posts about the purge valve on the different forums if you do a search for them using "purge valve" or similar words. It gives location, part number, price, etc. The following is just a small snippet of the testing procedure copied from my service manual for P0496 code. Sounds like your mechanic already did the FTP replacement.

I post this as information only.

Circuit/System Testing

Disconnect the EVAP purge solenoid valve electrical harness connector.
Start the engine.
Command the EVAP vent closed with a scan tool.
Increase the engine speed to 1,200-1,500 RPM.
Observe the scan tool fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor parameter. Verify the scan tool FTP sensor parameter is -0.9 to +0.9 mm Hg (-0.5 to +0.5 in. H2O).

¤ If not within the specified range, replace the EVAP purge solenoid valve.

Ignition ON, engine OFF, disconnect the EVAP purge solenoid valve pipe.
Observe the scan tool FTP sensor parameter. Verify the FTP sensor parameter is -0.9 to +0.9 mm Hg (-0.5 to +0.5 in. H2O).

¤ If not within the specified range, replace the FTP sensor.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's a simple fix....have the "purge solenoid assembly" replaced. It costs about $80 at the dealership, or you can buy the part yourself for less than $20 and it is fairly easy to replace. Problem is caused by "overfilling" of the gas tank (topping off) and extra gas running down the vapor hose into the purge canister and eventually corroding terminals in the purge solenoid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi wondering if this also resolved the problem with the remote start? I have a 2007 Acadia, and am having the same problem, bought the purge solenoid and am doing the repair on the weekend. After reading your post, tried the remote start and it also would not work. Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
If you have a constant CEL; your remote start is disabled.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
if this is the purge valve...
if you buy the part online (amazon/ebay) and remove and install yourself----

I believe someone posted under $40.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good information. I sure appreciate your sharing it.

I have been having the same problem.....along with some other codes............

·
Registered
75 Posts
davemorris said:
My Acadia has 70k on it and had the check engine light come on. Before the cel came on the traction control light would periodically come on from time to time. I have done some research on both problems but my main concern it the code P0496 evap problem. The traction control problem seems to be gone because I had the brake pads cleaned and the magnet that collects debris wiped off. Does anyone know about this specific code, I have been to a local mechanic that thought the only problem could be a pressure sensor switch in the gas tank. He put a new switch in but the check engine light came back on. Also the remote start would not work, but have heard that it will not work if there is a check engine light on. When I went to get in to the vechicle at the local mechanic I thought I would try the remote start it worked but then got into the car and the check engine light was on. The good news is the mechanic gave me a refund since he could not fix the car. I am going to have to take it to a gm dealer, just want to have as much info as I can. Please help.
I have the same code on my 09 Acadia. I am going to replace the purge valve & see what that does. I found some on ebay for less than $30. & yes, the remote start WILL NOT WORK if there is a "service engine" light on at all. That is a safety feature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a simple fix....have the "purge solenoid assembly" replaced. It costs about $80 at the dealership, or you can buy the part yourself for less than $20 and it is fairly easy to replace. Problem is caused by "overfilling" of the gas tank (topping off) and extra gas running down the vapor hose into the purge canister and eventually corroding terminals in the purge solenoid.
Thank you, thank you thank you for this explanation. I overfilled a few weeks ago and as soon as I started the car it was running crappy. Thought the gas may have had water in it. A week or so later engine light was on. Ran diagnostic and had that code come up but didn't know why. I even asked my husband if over filling would cause it.. I won't be doing that anymore. Lol

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Thank you, thank you thank you for this explanation. I overfilled a few weeks ago and as soon as I started the car it was running crappy. Thought the gas may have had water in it. A week or so later engine light was on. Ran diagnostic and had that code come up but didn't know why. I even asked my husband if over filling would cause it.. I won't be doing that anymore. Lol
Pretty much every new vehicle, except maybe Tesla, has the same warning in the owner's manual, when the fuel pump clicks off, stop pumping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts