GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well I'm convinced this is a design/engineering flaw.
I doubt it is as simple as quality issue with parts, too spread out over model years.
If this is the case, then there was ALWAYS a quality issue.

The fact that GM has reprogrammed for sooner oil change intervals just proves
they have no clue why the chains are failing. :sosad:

We'll all be needing chains sooner or later, :angryfire: hope mines sooner ;D

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
I wish I could tell you if synthetic was the cause or not, but didn't Sail do 3K dino oil changes and have a problem?

My car was a demo so I think the first change wasn't so early, 7K or something. I do know the dealer owner had it and it was used at a regional GMC meeting on a slick track or something. From talking to my salesman when I bought is, I bet they "abused" it for a little. I did a few dino changes (Castrol GTX and Pennzoil). I then changed to synthetic (SuperTech was a short run, then Q Torquepower which is no longer made and to QHorsepower). Filters were NapaGold and AC/Delco. Going from memory, the OCI was anywhere from 4K to 5.5K.

As for the UOAs, yes...I have been doing them from the start. I did have an iron spike early on, but haven't had a problem with iron since, viscosity wasn't the greatest from fuel dilution as I do mostly short trips with lots of idling. I didn't mail my UOA in from the last change around 39K because I spilled a bunch and didn't want to waste the money and be short on tests. I did keep the sample and mailed it in with the current sump oil with the problem...only a few miles after the obvious poor performance issue, but I am awaiting these results to see if a UOA would show anything. I am now wondering if my sporadic illuminated coolant light issue is related to the chains.....

My records are with the car at the shop....I didn't talk to them, but my wife said that they have to order some parts, but she didn't ask what part. I will post more about the intervals and changes later.
Yes and that is also one of my main reasons for going totally synthetic with the Enclave, also all the comments and positive results I have read about on here. If I have a timing chain fail in the Enclave (husband will shoot me if that happens again) then as far as I am concerned it will POINT to a failure in one of two areas. Poor quality chains from the supplier/suppliers or poor engine design by GM.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sailfish said:
Yes and that is also one of my main reasons for going totally synthetic with the Enclave, also all the comments and positive results I have read about on here. If I have a timing chain fail in the Enclave (husband will shoot me if that happens again) then as far as I am concerned it will POINT to a failure in one of two areas. Poor quality chains from the supplier/suppliers or poor engine design by GM.
Better get rid of any guns in the house ;), I doubt the chains are any different than what you had on the outlook :(.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I doubt the chains are any different than what you had on the outlook :(.
I tend to disagree; the numbers of non 09 Lambda's having timing chain issues is very low to compared to those with 09's

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Better get rid of any guns in the house ;), I doubt the chains are any different than what you had on the outlook :(.
They are my guns and he doesn't like guns although they are under lock and key and I have the keys. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just out of curiosity because I don't know but think I'm right in my thinking, are they chains or belts? I ask because my family owned a 78 Olds station wagon with a 409 that had a plastic timing belt. When it broke we had it replaced with an actual timing chain and was much noisier. So I would assume that today they are still using a plastic timing belt. This is just for clarification because when I hear the word chain I am thinking of metal and those dont break as easily as the plastic.

This is a serious question not meant to be a smart ***, or dumb*** depending on how you take it.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
khansen30 said:
Just out of curiosity because I don't know but think I'm right in my thinking, are they chains or belts? I ask because my family owned a 78 Olds station wagon with a 409 that had a plastic timing belt. When it broke we had it replaced with an actual timing chain and was much noisier. So I would assume that today they are still using a plastic timing belt. This is just for clarification because when I hear the word chain I am thinking of metal and those dont break as easily as the plastic.

This is a serious question not meant to be a smart ***, or dumb*** depending on how you take it.
Chains-3 total

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had this teardown completed highway mileage dropped bigtime anyone else have this happen. They replaced timing chains, water pump and reprogrammed oil life and the transmission updates. I never had the transmission reflashed because the mileage was so good but they said they couldn't do the job without the trans flash. 24.5 mpg down to 18.6 highway. I also used M1 and the longest mileage between changes was 4000. This is a 2007 lt2

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
In preparation for posting my UOA, here is my oil change history.

DATE MILEAGE OIL BRAND FILTER OLM%
11/23/07 5,300 Took delivery of the vehicle. Dealership owner's car.
12/26/07 6,441 Gastrol GTX Fram
06/18/08 10,800 Pennzoil Yellow SuperTech
10/##/08 13,738 PYB and ST Filter?
04/02/09 19,221 SuperTech Syn Napa Gold 25%
07/26/09 22,660 QHorsePower Napa Gold 60%
12/02/09 27,660 QTorquePower Napa Gold
05/29/10 33,416 QTorquePower Napa Gold
11/08/10 39,072 QTorquePower/QHorspower mix ACD PF-48
03/23/11 43,682 Timing chains replaced. Oil dealer bulk & ACD PF-48. Ignition coil#5 replaced.

Modified 4/11/11 @ 8PM to correct oil type in 39,072 change.

·
Registered
492 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
03/23/11 43,682 Ignition coil#5 replaced.
So now do Lambda owners not only have to address cam chain issues, but also faulty ignition coils, too? And to add insult to injury, the coil packs or "coil-on-plug" are not easily replaceable... looks like the IM needs to be removed to gain access to the coil pack(s).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Here is the UOA immediately prior to when my timing chain,etc. was replaced. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=417

Here is the UOA a few thousand miles before the issues developed http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=416;dl

In retrospect, I wonder if this issue started way back at the iron spike at 19,221. My iron was much less/1K mile before this and didn't drop to that level since. I am planning on doing a UOA in a little bit. I have dealer dino in now. I have 1K on this and plan on changing it out to synthetic QHP when I have some time. I have a few more changes of QHP and them I have some PP to put in. I also just picked up a 5qt jug of Penz Ultra for $15. I also have some full synthetic Valvoline MaxLife (no longer made, but only $9/5qt jug on clearance).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
An update her as I am the original poster. As you can see by the date of the original post my CEL came on back in January. After one dealership changed a cam acuator valve (tried to go an easy way) they sent me to another dealership b/c they only had one technician and didn't want to tie up their shop. I happily go to another who after 2 weeks, and replacing a camshaft sensor sent me to another dealership b/c they didn't have a qualified technician there at the time to do the teardown (why they didn't tell me this in the beginning I don't know). So now I go to a 3rd place. Here it is 8+ weeks later, a replaced timing chain, multiple engine pulls (I can only assume incompitency), and is currently getting the camshaft replaced. Has anyone else heard of having this much trouble with their 3.6L or the quality of service? I would also like any advice on how to get some type of satisfaction back from GM. By the way I was given a rental car for about 1 week only after I asked and bugged for it. This has been a nightmare!

·
Registered
2008 GMC Acadia SLT2 AWD
2 Posts
This was the newest thread with a matching error code.

Last evening I was coming home from work and the Acadia started to run a little rough up a hill, but continued the rest of the way home (3 miles). Parked it and checked the fluid levels...all were OK. This morning I went out and it was still running rough.
you probably shouldn't have left it running all night. ;) Sorry couldn't resist.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts