GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
P0017
Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 1

The items I have found for that trouble code relate to the reluctor for the crankshaft position sensor having moved. The fix is to replace the crankshaft which requires the engine being removed and basically torn down.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
MammothHog said:
Has anyone had to have an engine teardown because of the check engine light coming on with a code of P0017? This is going to be bad isn't it?
this code along with P0008 usually means issues with the Timing Chain. I see you have an 07.

Some customers may comment on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) being illuminated. Technicians may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored:

• DTC P0008 : Engine Position System Performance Bank 1
• DTC P0009 : Engine Position System Performance Bank 2
• DTC P0016 : Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 1
• DTC P0017: Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 1
• DTC P0018 : Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 2
• DTC P0019 : Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 2

This condition may be caused by stretched primary drive and both secondary drive timing chains.

Refer to SI for the follow diagnostic information if only one of the following DTCs are set:

• DTC P0008
• DTC P0009
• DTC P0016
• DTC P0017
• DTC P0018
• DTC P0019

If there are more than one of the above mention DTCs set, inspect for stretched timing chains. Refer to Camshaft Timing Drive Components Cleaning and Inspection (Fourth Design) in SI.

It may take several thousand miles/kilometers of use before the timing chains begin to stretch. Inspect both the primary drive and both secondary drive timing chains for the following:

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
It's interesting that that document #07-06-01-014: LY7 MIL/DTCs P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019 - Stretched Primary Drive and Both Secondary Drive Timing Chains (Replace Primary Drive and Both Secondary Drive Timing Chains) - (Aug 9, 2007) applies only to 2007 models of the Acadia, G6, Aura, and Outlook, but we are having problems with just about every model year.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
wonder if that was one of the 1st bulletins to come out-- and the newer ones include more recent models?

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I don't see any newer versions of that TSB. They will update them with an A, B, C, etc. at the end of the number sequence when they update a bulletin, but this one has no updates that I can find.

There's been updates to #08-06-01-011H: Malfunction Indicator Lamp On-Check Engine Light, DTCs P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P0341, P0346, P0366 or P0391 Set (Check Camshaft End Play and Perform Action as Outlined) - (Jan 8, 2010) , which we don't read about much on here anymore, but nothing regarding the timing chain.

Maybe GM is just behind on updating it. :shrug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. The fact that the CEL is my only indication that something is wrong, with the info you guys provided, more than likely the sensor has moved and the timing chain is probably okay? Would you agree GeoHawk?

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
MammothHog said:
Thanks guys. The fact that the CEL is my only indication that something is wrong, with the info you guys provided, more than likely the sensor has moved and the timing chain is probably okay? Would you agree GeoHawk?
I couldn't say for sure, but replacing the timing chain would seem to be a less labor intensive repair. If the reluctor has moved, that will necessitate a complete removal and replacement of the crankshaft, which includes all the connecting rods, pistons, etc. Replacing just the timing chain would seem to be much simpler.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I would think that if the reluctor has moved and they have the engine torn down; they might put a new set of chains in as a precaution seeing as how these codes seem to be related

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This was the newest thread with a matching error code.

Last evening I was coming home from work and the Acadia started to run a little rough up a hill, but continued the rest of the way home (3 miles). Parked it and checked the fluid levels...all were OK. This morning I went out and it was still running rough. I had Onstar do a diagnostic check. The escalated the call to a diagnostics advisor who said service is needed within 1 day, but the vehicle is still driveable. I asked for the codes and they are P0017 whick related to a crankshaft (?camshaft) position sensor and P1174 fuel system error code.

BTW, no check engine light was lit....it just didn't feel or sound right.

So, Monday we take her in to get looked at.....will keep ya updated.

BTW 2007 with just under 45K miles with way more frequent than OLM oil changes. I am gonna pull a sample for another UOA before taking it in.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Stretched timing chains. I didn't get a chance for a long conversation about this. Said that they stock all the needed parts and should have it done Tuesday afternoon.

So much for 5K or so oil change intervals with synthetic since about 15K miles. When I get my UOA back I will post all the oil changes and results.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Stretched timing chains. I didn't get a chance for a long conversation about this. Said that they stock all the needed parts and should have it done Tuesday afternoon.

So much for 5K or so oil change intervals with synthetic since about 15K miles. When I get my UOA back I will post all the oil changes and results.
Have you been doing UOA's since you've owned your 07? I too would be interested to see if there are any indications that this was coming. What synthetic oil were you using?

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Well that kinda sucks Doc. Obviously more frequent oil changes than the OLM dictates isn't the going to be the answer to this problem.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Looks like it's a 3K with full syn and a premium oil filter oil change engine :shrug:
MedicRxDoc said:
So much for 5K or so oil change intervals with synthetic since about 15K miles.
How many miles in the or so?

·
Registered
635 Posts
He says he's been running full synthetic since 15k. When I talked to my dealer about the oil changes (I get them free for life) I wanted to go full syn and pay the difference. They said not to do this as the engine was not designed for synthetic but plain old oil. So I've kept it that way from the start. I don't think they would pull my chain (no pun intended) as they would make money from me instead of spending money on me. I wonder if the problem isn't the synthetic on an engine not designed for it? Just a thought.

·
Registered
284 Posts
khansen30 said:
When I talked to my dealer about the oil changes (I get them free for life) I wanted to go full syn and pay the difference. They said not to do this as the engine was not designed for synthetic but plain old oil.
What a croc! If this was the case then it would be noted similarly in the Owners Manual and of course no such comment can be found.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
copperbeech said:
What a croc! If this was the case then it would be noted similarly in the Owners Manual and of course no such comment can be found.
:ditto: This same motor is used in the CTS with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
khansen30 said:
He says he's been running full synthetic since 15k. When I talked to my dealer about the oil changes (I get them free for life) I wanted to go full syn and pay the difference. They said not to do this as the engine was not designed for synthetic but plain old oil. So I've kept it that way from the start. I don't think they would pull my chain (no pun intended) as they would make money from me instead of spending money on me. I wonder if the problem isn't the synthetic on an engine not designed for it? Just a thought.
This is just what I was wondering about. Perhaps the synthetic oil is causing the problems. (although I know not everyone who had a stretched chain uses synthetic). Anyway, interesting information to add to the puzzle.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I wish I could tell you if synthetic was the cause or not, but didn't Sail do 3K dino oil changes and have a problem?

My car was a demo so I think the first change wasn't so early, 7K or something. I do know the dealer owner had it and it was used at a regional GMC meeting on a slick track or something. From talking to my salesman when I bought is, I bet they "abused" it for a little. I did a few dino changes (Castrol GTX and Pennzoil). I then changed to synthetic (SuperTech was a short run, then Q Torquepower which is no longer made and to QHorsepower). Filters were NapaGold and AC/Delco. Going from memory, the OCI was anywhere from 4K to 5.5K.

As for the UOAs, yes...I have been doing them from the start. I did have an iron spike early on, but haven't had a problem with iron since, viscosity wasn't the greatest from fuel dilution as I do mostly short trips with lots of idling. I didn't mail my UOA in from the last change around 39K because I spilled a bunch and didn't want to waste the money and be short on tests. I did keep the sample and mailed it in with the current sump oil with the problem...only a few miles after the obvious poor performance issue, but I am awaiting these results to see if a UOA would show anything. I am now wondering if my sporadic illuminated coolant light issue is related to the chains.....

My records are with the car at the shop....I didn't talk to them, but my wife said that they have to order some parts, but she didn't ask what part. I will post more about the intervals and changes later.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts