GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a "clunking" noise coming from what appears to be the drivers side of the front differential after I shift from reverse to drive. The "clunking" noise happens within the first 20 yards of driving forward and is not heard thereafter. I do not believe this to be the transmission "guessing" for the correct gear to match the speed of the vehicle. This is an AWD Acadia. I do not drive the vehicle very often as this is my wife's daily driver. However, whenever I do drive it (about every other weekend or so), I notice this noise each and every time. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar noise as I have not taken it into the dealership just yet.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It might be the ABS self check. You will hear two clunks, one at about 7 mph and the second one at about 20 mph. It will only do the self check after the car has been started and driven away from a rest. It is normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
big bear craig said:
It might be the ABS self check. You will hear two clunks, one at about 7 mph and the second one at about 20 mph. It will only do the self check after the car has been started and driven away from a rest. It is normal.
I've noticed the exact same thing, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
The dealer can reprogram the EBCM to make the check quieter if the noise really bothers you. Several members have had it done with success. Check out this thread: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2575.20

The TSB# is #07-05-25-005A and applies to vehicles built before 11/29/07.

·
Registered
1 Posts
aKadia said:
big bear craig said:
I've noticed the exact same thing, thanks for the info.
I picked up my 2008 about a month ago and came here to find out what that noise was. A little annoying, but at least I know now that it is normal operation. THANKS!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
big bear craig said:
Hi everybody! I am a newbie here and I have been lerking around for over a month. This is my first post and I hope this old topic & quote appears with my introduction. I was looking for a topic that allowed me to introduce myself and didn't find one. I am the owner of a new 2011 Acadia SLT 1. I have had the truck since 12/31. It had 215 miles on it and now has 588. I hear a noise exactly as this quote that I added. I only hear this noise on the initial start up, when the auto is cold. If I am out and about and restart several times, I do not hear this noise. This quote I posted here explains exactly the noise. I have not mentioned this to my dealer, as I thought I might get some answers here first.

This is a really old quote, so I was wondering if anybody else is hearing this noise on your newer models of Acadia? So far this is the only thing that concerns me. I do have several other questions for recommendations that I will post later. Thanks for your comments!! :)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
KinleysMom said:
Hi everybody! I am a newbie here and I have been lerking around for over a month. This is my first post and I hope this old topic & quote appears with my introduction. I was looking for a topic that allowed me to introduce myself and didn't find one. I am the owner of a new 2011 Acadia SLT 1. I have had the truck since 12/31. It had 215 miles on it and now has 588. I hear a noise exactly as this quote that I added. I only hear this noise on the initial start up, when the auto is cold. If I am out and about and restart several times, I do not hear this noise. This quote I posted here explains exactly the noise. I have not mentioned this to my dealer, as I thought I might get some answers here first.

This is a really old quote, so I was wondering if anybody else is hearing this noise on your newer models of Acadia? So far this is the only thing that concerns me. I do have several other questions for recommendations that I will post later. Thanks for your comments!! :)
You quoted the ABS self check; this is normal operation for the vehicle

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
And welcome to the forum :welcome:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I only have less than 300 miles on my 2011, and I have not experienced this clunk sound as of yet. Does it happen to all Acadias? You say this is "normal operation". So if it is, wouldn't it be common in ALL Acadias?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Chester, that is what my thought was too. I was hoping other new 2011 owners would also post comments. You have to have the radio off and actually be listening for the noise. I just have a habit of turning the radio down before I get out. Being that the truck is new, I have been listening for noises also. This happens just one time, when the truck is cold and I start out. It will do it again if the truck has been sitting and cooled off. Hopefully other new owners will listen & post back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will turn my radio off next time I go out. I will definitely listen carefully, and report back. I can say, I usually have the radio on and am not anticipating this clunk, therefore might not be paying attention when it happens. I just assumed it would be hard to miss. So we'll see. I'll update soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2010 FWD that makes the clunking noise as i take off down the street. Glad to know it's not cause for alarm. I dont think i notice it happening *every time* however.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
my 2010 Traverse makes a clunk/gearlike sound right as im about to hit 20 MPH.
its the test mentioned above. Always happens when you turn off car and turn on again- and begin to drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same here. I have 2011 FWD. I can hear it coming from a cold start. My first thought that it was something has to do with the transmission, coming from 1st gear then to 2nd gear. Now at 5800Km, I seldom hear it. Maybe because I'm warming the car for a while before actually driving it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts