GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 2nd time i have had this issue where the sunroof drain lines clog and leads to a short circuit. The engine keeps running after i have removed the keys from ignition and weird electrical issues like stability control turns off, and ac turned off because car is overheating, temp gauge not operating etc. It also draws power from the battery so if the engine does shut down, you wake up with a dead battery. It seems water clogs the lines and gets into the electrical. The first time the dealer took care of it, not free of charge of course. This time I cleared the lines myself and ran water through the hoses. They were dirty so i cleaned them. I then connected the lines with the end grommet back in the firewall hole and ran water. The problem came back. :( I am trying to figure out what happens to the water after it drains through/into the firewall? Is it possible that the water might be coming in contact with some electrical after it goes through the wall?
Thanks.
M

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are plenty of electrical connections inside the cabin which can be compromised from sunroof drain water. These connectors aren't protected from moisture since there shouldn't be any water getting to them. Whenever I saw the drain clogged I pulled up my carpet on both passenger and drivers side , operated a fan, and a dehumidifier to dry things out overnight for two nights inside the cabin. Checking all your connectors is a time consuming process but may be necessary since you are having electronic issues which I have not experienced.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re:

The rear sunroof is known to leak and need sealed, perhaps it is that and not the sunroof to tubes? I just had to do this on mine to resolve this exact issue. I also needed to adjust the front sunroof alignment so that when closed was even along all edges using 4 torx screws around the frame inside. My leak was in the rear allowing water to come in more than normal and getting into the DVD unit and dripping down. These cars are not engineered for water unfortunately and can take some work, but once done are fine albeit a pain. I also removed the BCM connectors and cleaned them up since they got water corrosion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the latest with the water intrusion issue.
Turns out the drain lines were never the issue to begin with. When water gets past the main sunroof and drains into the firewall, it encounters an area where the firewall makes a sort of channel. Like a "V" shape with two pieces of metal bonded together. It seems like a factory defect where these two pieces where not bonded properly so when a bit water gets in this "V" the water comes back into the cabin and will wet the electrical components.
My dealer cleared the lines the first time but never investigated further so the problem was never solved. Unfortunately we dont get much rain in California so the problem didnt come back until the rainy season. The dealer found a service bulletin and layed a bead of caulking or sealant in this area. I poured some water down the drain lines and i did not have an issue.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
mktgman said:
... The dealer found a service bulletin and layed a bead of caulking or sealant in this area. ...
Do you have a bulletin number?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Probably this.................

#08-08-57-003C: Floor Wet Under Carpet/Engine Continues to Run with Key Off/Possible No Crank/No Start/Communication Loss/Various Electrical Concerns (Seal Seam) - (Jul 15, 2011)

Subject: Floor Wet Under Carpet/Engine Continues to Run with Key Off/Possible No Crank/No Start/Communication Loss/Various Electrical Concerns (Seal Seam)

Models: 2008-2012 Buick Enclave
2007-2012 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
This bulletin is being revised to add model years and update the Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-57-003B (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Water Intrusion- Engine Running with Key off.

This information supplements an article in the March 2008 TechLink entitled Engine Running With Key Turned Off, which involves voltage on circuit 5985 with the key turned off. The condition described below can be a cause of this voltage.

The owner of an Acadia, Enclave or Outlook may comment that the engine continues to run after the ignition is turned off, or that the engine will not start. This may be the result of water intruding into the instrument panel (IP) BEC. Before proceeding with other diagnosis and repairs, here are some suggestions.

Water from the right front sunroof drain hose exits the vehicle (fig. 13). If it then re-enters the vehicle through the front of dash sheet metal, it can drip from the right side dash onto the IP BEC.

AÂ Â Water exits through drain hose

BÂ Â Water reenters and drips onto IP BEC from sheet metal

The seam must be properly sealed between the plenum upper and plenum reinforcement. This may be inspected from underhood through the opening in the cowl panel

If there are voids in the bead of sealant, use medium-bodied sealant p/n 12378500 to reseal.

The area to be sealed may be reached through two openings, and the seam must be sealed for its entire length (fig. 15).

AÂ Â Access opening

BÂ Â Access opening

CÂ Â Length of seam sealÂ

TIP:Â Sealant may be applied with the fingertip or with a plastic trim tool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the 2nd time i have had this issue where the sunroof drain lines clog and leads to a short circuit. The engine keeps running after i have removed the keys from ignition and weird electrical issues like stability control turns off, and ac turned off because car is overheating, temp gauge not operating etc. It also draws power from the battery so if the engine does shut down, you wake up with a dead battery. It seems water clogs the lines and gets into the electrical. The first time the dealer took care of it, not free of charge of course. This time I cleared the lines myself and ran water through the hoses. They were dirty so i cleaned them. I then connected the lines with the end grommet back in the firewall hole and ran water. The problem came back. :( I am trying to figure out what happens to the water after it drains through/into the firewall? Is it possible that the water might be coming in contact with some electrical after it goes through the wall?
Thanks.
M
Thanks.
M
Thanks.
M
Hey.
Thanks.
M
The sunroof drains water directly on the interior fuse box under the dash by the glove box. After drying the flooded firebox and connections, I draped a piece of plexiglass film over the fuse box to deflect further water damage. I then pulled the sunroof fuse and taped off both sunroof with clear Gorilla tape. No more water or electrical issues. GM knows full well why and ignores this life threatening issue. Shame on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts