GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Acadia Denali Summit White/Ebony leather
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is in the wrong place I apologize in advance.

My Acadia has the auto climate control and it seems to have lost its mind. I generally keep the climate control at 72 degrees and it has always cooperated until recently. I was out running errands yesterday and it was impossibly hot in the cabin, and I couldn’t convince the climate control to lower the temperature and finally just turned it off entirely. Thinking it was a one-off, I went out again today and same thing - all the heat she could generate until I turned the system off again.

Unless I haven’t searched correctly, I didn’t see a post about this. Can anyone help. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Have you tried switching over to Auto mode (or vice versa)?

Reactions: Denali Dave

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
Unless I haven’t searched correctly, I didn’t see a post about this. Can anyone help. Thanks very much.
Look for a post about "HVAC reset" or something similar. Try doing that first. If you don't get satisfactory results, find someone with a scan tool and knowledge about how to use it. They should be able to diagnose the problem. Seems like there's either a stuck actuator or the control module has gone bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried switching over to Auto mode (or vice versa)?
I did, thinking it might have helped. Tries to roast me out in either position.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for a post about "HVAC reset" or something similar. Try doing that first. If you don't get satisfactory results, find someone with a scan tool and knowledge about how to use it. They should be able to diagnose the problem. Seems like there's either a stuck actuator or the control module has gone bad.
Thanks for the tip, Speleos. If the control module has gone, will there be any indication of this on the display, or no?

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
There would have to be, good possibility...

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
On vehicles with auto temp control, isn't there a sensor that monitors cabin temperature?
That sensor location is visible to the lower right of the steering wheel in the OP's vehicle. The sensor is behind a small grid cut into the dashboard.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
You said the temp didnt change... Im guessing there was 0 change
I would also look at one of the actuators having failed in the HOT position and is no longer moving the flap- to blend air.

I would put car in a quiet location. Engine off, fan off, radio off etc.
Key in ignition,
Turn/adjust the position (blow up top, down by feet, etc)--- but listen very carefully for the actuators whirring/movement.
Also adjust the temp- you should also hear the actuator moving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounds silly, but are you sure the defrost settings didn't come on automatically? I use auto temp all the time and if it's cold out, the car turns on the defrosters while using auto temp.

I sometimes forget about this and will be roasting turning the dials until I remember to actually turn off the defrost settings.

Like I said, probably not the issue, but just to cover all bases.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been awhile since I’ve been able to check for replies, so thanks all that offered assistance.

I believe I’ve heard the actuators moving, but I’d need to re-do that exercise to be certain I’m getting all movement throughout.

Defrosters aren't on unless I turn them on, had already thought of that. Also wondered about the cabin temp monitor (thermostat).

Tried to do the fuse-out-replace-and-reset trick, but I simply don’t have the ability to get all contorted in the passenger footwell anymore - back surgery prevents good mobility, it appears.

So I’m reluctantly sucking it up and paying a dealer $49.95 to diagnose and I’ll figure out what to do from there.

Reactions: JayTee2019
1 - 12 of 12 Posts