GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just gotten cold around here, and I've noticed that on Auto my AC indicator is always lit up. I figured at first it was bout removing humidity for defrosting, but the last couple of mornings it's been in the 20's and the AC is still lit up. Manual doesn't really give much info on this.

Is this normal, or no? Just wondering what others have experienced.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I always use the auto temp control, set it to 70º and forget it. My AC light is always on. Seems to be the norm when using auto temp control in my '18.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My understanding is the AC indicator being on means the system is available if needed but not necessarily in operation at any given point in time. That's been the case in all new vehicles I've had with 'automatic climate control' systems.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Unless I deliberately turn the system off it is always on with my 2013. It is putting out air at whatever temperature I have set. Same thing in any vehicles that I have owned recently. It takes a manual action to turn it on or off.

George

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sounds like nothing to worry about, so I won't! Just bugs me, but I will get over it eventually.

Thanks for the feedback.
You can try this . . .
  • First, make sure you have the system in Manual mode..
  • Then, turn the main control to Off. Turn the system On again in Manual mode. . . not Automatic.
  • I've found in several GM vehicles we've had sine 2005 that once the system is put into Auto mode and even switched back to Manual mode. . . the A/C will still remain on. Setting the system to Manual mode and turning the whole system Off and then back on, will them turn the A/C indication Off.
  • One other thing. The system temperature control will still operate and maintain the cabin temperature, so part of it still is "automatic" in that sense even in Manual Mode.
  • So I mostly just leave the system in Manual mode and then can turn the A/C on or off at will and the cabin temperature is still maintained at whatever the control setting is set at.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's easier than that - just press the A/C button to turn it off, the rest of the climate control functions will remain 'automatic'.

Not sure if it remembers the setting through a restart.
Simpler yet. . . leave the system in Manual Mode (really - - semi automatic anyway) and you can turn A/C On or Off anytime you want. And the A/C compressor still comes on anyway in any of the Defrost Modes.
Not sure if it does "remember". All I know is that even our new 2019 Acadia behaves the same as the previous several GM vehicles we've had with the "Automatic Temperature Control" HVAC systems. Once it's turned on, it remains in "Auto" and the A/C will keep turning on and off. But if put into Manual Mode, shut the whole system off, and then back on in Manual Mode. .. the A/C will not come on automatically.

·
Super Moderator
18,801 Posts
Use climate control like a Ronco rotisserie - just "set it and forget it!" My CC has been set on 'Auto' to 72°F for years. It's seldom touched unless there's a need for defrost or defog. I do turn off the A/C when it's cool outside because the climate controller will modulate interior temps using outside air.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Manual Mode is "Automatic" enough for me.
That it still maintains warm or cold temperature in season works well enough for us in Manual Mode.

Some like it... some don't everyone is not the same. Glad it works for some. I do know it works better in warmer temperate climates. So. . YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Air conditioning is exactly that, conditioning the air. In the summer, cool air, and in the winter, warm air. But it does more than that. When running the defrosters, the air conditioner will blow drier air onto the windshield to cause the fog or ice to dissipate quicker. Turning the air conditioner on and using the temperature dials will ensure that both the air temperature and humidity will be comfortable. Try it both ways and see which one feels better to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts