GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my '08 Acadia has had an issue for quite a while in which it does not always turn over. When I turn the key to start it, I hear the fuel pump run and often get a single click, but no crank. On the next try (or sometimes third or forth try), it starts right up normally. No codes or CEL. I had heard it could be an issue with the immobilizer recognizing the key, so I started using the spare key and the problem went away for a while. It is doing this again now, however.

I had a P0330 code show up with CEL illuminated, and found the wire insulation was melted off the connector for the bank2 (front) knock sensor, I guess due to its proximity to the cat and exhaust. Repairing this requires removal of the bank2 exhaust manifold and cat, which is also required for starter replacement, so with 242000 miles I went ahead and replaced the starter along with the knock sensor and connector.

The new starter spins the engine faster now and is quieter than before, which is nice, but I still have the intermittent "click no crank" issue so that clearly was not the starter or solenoid.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
21,727 Posts
Replace the CRNK relay. That relay has been known to fail intermittently and cause the problem you describe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched the crank relay with the defog relay, they are the same, but no improvement.

·
Super Moderator
21,727 Posts
Next step would be troubleshooting the ignition switch. See if there's a time when it doesn't deliver power as it should when turned to the start position.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Sorry to hear that switching the relays did not work.
I experienced that. click, no crank. I swapped the relays and the issue went away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear that switching the relays did not work.
I experienced that. click, no crank. I swapped the relays and the issue went away.
Maybe I have two defective relays - they are both original - and I should try a new one as Speleos suggested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I have two defective relays - they are both original - and I should try a new one as Speleos suggested.
OK new CRNK relay, tried swapping the IGN and horn relays, still no joy. However, now when it doesn't crank I don't hear the click. I think I must have had a bad CRNK relay as well as something else - perhaps an issue with the transponder key system or the ignition switch. I'm guessing if the immobilizer is not recognizing the key for some reason, it probably doesn't energize the CRNK relay so no click. Or maybe the ignition switch is not always making contact in the start position.

The ignition switch appears to be pretty inexpensive, less than $15 on Rockauto if I'm looking at the right part. Do you know if that is a simple swap? Does it require any re-programming?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK new CRNK relay, tried swapping the IGN and horn relays, still no joy. However, now when it doesn't crank I don't hear the click. I think I must have had a bad CRNK relay as well as something else - perhaps an issue with the transponder key system or the ignition switch. I'm guessing if the immobilizer is not recognizing the key for some reason, it probably doesn't energize the CRNK relay so no click. Or maybe the ignition switch is not always making contact in the start position.

The ignition switch appears to be pretty inexpensive, less than $15 on Rockauto if I'm looking at the right part. Do you know if that is a simple swap? Does it require any re-programming?
Correction: I am still getting the click when it doesn’t crank.
I ordered a new ign switch - I’ll change that out and see what happens 🙄

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, my '08 Acadia has had an issue for quite a while in which it does not always turn over. When I turn the key to start it, I hear the fuel pump run and often get a single click, but no crank. On the next try (or sometimes third or forth try), it starts right up normally. No codes or CEL. I had heard it could be an issue with the immobilizer recognizing the key, so I started using the spare key and the problem went away for a while. It is doing this again now, however.

I had a P0330 code show up with CEL illuminated, and found the wire insulation was melted off the connector for the bank2 (front) knock sensor, I guess due to its proximity to the cat and exhaust. Repairing this requires removal of the bank2 exhaust manifold and cat, which is also required for starter replacement, so with 242000 miles I went ahead and replaced the starter along with the knock sensor and connector.

The new starter spins the engine faster now and is quieter than before, which is nice, but I still have the intermittent "click no crank" issue so that clearly was not the starter or solenoid.

Bad starter motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
I switched the crank relay with the defog relay, they are the same, but no improvement.

There is a connection under the air breather next to the abs brake system with someone inside the car with the key turned to start try wiggeling the wires inthat area till you find the short

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on my continuing efforts to solve this "click no crank" issue. I have now replaced: Crank relay, starter motor with new GM unit, ignition switch with new GM part, and battery. I've checked every main circuit connection and grounding points related to the starter that I can find. I think the problem could still be a loose or corroded connection or ground that I may have missed, although all of the ones I have checked have been clean and tight. Or it could be related to the Theft Deterrent Module, transponder key, or the ECM.

Here are the symptoms: Sometimes, but not always, I get a click - actually more of a clunk - when I turn the key to start the engine, but it does not turn over. It then starts fine on the second or third try. Most times it starts fine on the first try. I had a friend turn the key to start while I listened under the hood - I'm pretty sure the "clunk" I hear is the starter engaging the flywheel but then it doesn't crank immediately, like it doesn't have enough voltage or like a weak starter. So this makes me think there could be another ground connection that needs cleaning. Can anyone tell me where all the ground connections are between the battery and the engine block? I know about the one in the battery box - checked that one - and a connection on the forward cylinder head - checked it too. There must be another one between the engine and the body. I have also checked the positive connections that I can find - at the battery, next to the fuse box under the hood, and of course at the starter motor. Are there any others? Thanks for your suggestions and help!

·
Super Moderator
21,727 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,727 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK I did a little quick reading about the flex plate and ring gear. I'm not sure how a damaged flex plate could cause the problem I have, unless it is an alignment issue, perhaps causing "binding" or increased resistance at times when the starter engages it. I never have heard any rattles or strange sounds, and the starter never spins freely, like it might if teeth are missing on the ring gear.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
You described the noise as a clunk instead of a click. If the noise is a click, I would lean towards it being an electrical issue. If the noise is a clunk, I would lean towards the problem being a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You described the noise as a clunk instead of a click. If the noise is a click, I would lean towards it being an electrical issue. If the noise is a clunk, I would lean towards the problem being a mechanical issue.
Good point, and I agree. Well if the fix is a new flex plate, probably not worth it.
So far it always does start, just may take a few tries. And it has had this issue for quite a while, maybe 18 months, comes and goes. Maybe just live with it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Good point, and I agree. Well if the fix is a new flex plate, probably not worth it.
So far it always does start, just may take a few tries. And it has had this issue for quite a while, maybe 18 months, comes and goes. Maybe just live with it.
Maybe see if you can check all the teeth on the flex plate? If one or two teeth are damaged, perhaps it binds the starter at that point ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe see if you can check all the teeth on the flex plate? If one or two teeth are damaged, perhaps it binds the starter at that point ?
I would do that if it weren't such a big job - the exhaust manifold and cat have to come out to get the starter out, then I have to find a way to see into the opening while turning the engine. Spark plugs probably have to come out too so the engine can be turned.

However I am starting to think it is a mechanical issue rather than electrical. I connected a pair of jumper cables from the engine block to the negative battery post - and still experienced the issue. it also happens sometimes when remote starting. So I don't think it is a grounding problem or a problem with the transponder key and TDM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts