GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here has installed one of these products to protect the front end from stone chips etc, and if so, any recommendations for which one. I saw that some have experienced paint chipping and I think it wise to have this done as soon as I take delivery. I was thinking of doing the front end painted areas around the grill and fog lights, the leading edge of the hood, front fender corners, fog lights, side mirrors, door handle grabs, door edges, and the top edge of the rear bumber below the lift gate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the 3M protection film installed on our Acadia. The guy who did it does custom wraps compared to the standard patterns that set back approx 1/4" from the edges of all panels. I have been very happy so far (it's only been a month) we had the hood and fenders done about 6", the front bumper, 2" above the windshield, all 4 door edges and the rocker panels inside the doors. It was a little expensive at $900 but the 3m product has a 5yr warranty and he gave lifetime on the installation. If you have it done make sure you find a 3M certified installer.

I forgot he also did the mirrors.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am being quoted $400 by a certified Solar Guard dealer who sells the competitor product to the 3M line. It basically is the same coverage you described. Thanks

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am just curious if applying plastic sealant material over paint/clearcoat finish, if it will allow paint to breath, expand/contact...etc.
Example, if after 5 years, the plastic material deteriorates/discolors and needs to be redone due to harsh environments, when peeling off, will the paint come off with it? What are the studies...lab test results. Just curious. Since the Acadia hood sits up so high compared to a regular auto, less prone to stone chips. We have no chips on our Acadia front like I have on my other car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
teetertotter said:
I am just curious if applying plastic sealant material over paint/clearcoat finish, if it will allow paint to breath, expand/contact...etc.
Example, if after 5 years, the plastic material deteriorates/discolors and needs to be redone due to harsh environments, when peeling off, will the paint come off with it? What are the studies...lab test results. Just curious. Since the Acadia hood sits up so high compared to a regular auto, less prone to stone chips. We have no chips on our Acadia front like I have on my other car.
That question was listed on the FAQ's on the manufacturer site and they explicitly stated that "no, it will not damage factory paint in any way when removing the film" They also said that no residue will be left on the vehicle when it is removed and gave a tip of warming up the film with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, then just slowly peel it off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had it done for $1000 using 3m by a certified installer of 14 years. he is as anal as I am, so I think it was worth the extra $$.
You can check to see that the installer is certified by checking the 3m website..... This is my first time to get it done, so I'll see if it is worth it or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts