GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean the fingerprints off the nav screen?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Luv2dive said:
What is the best way to clean the fingerprints off the nav screen?
Do not use Windex or any normal glass cleaner - I would recommend getting a cleaner made for LCD screens (laptops - you cna go to most any office supply store (Office Depot, Staples...) and ask them. I have used a special cleaner for laptops made by Kensington called Screen Guardian, they also have many others out there, just make sure it is safe for an LCD screen. Try not to use a paper towel either, use a soft cotton cloth or better yet one of those cloths they make for glasses (kind of like a silk material).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
80/20 micro fiber towel for me too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
micro fiber is best
if you have plenty of finger prints spray a very fine mist of water on the cloth and wipe in a one way continuous motion to reduce the risk of streaks
works for me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Armour All. Cleans, protects the plastic surface, and it will make future "finger prints" less likely to build up and easier to clean off. I listed some other cleaning tips here http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4046.0

IMPORTANT: The cloth type used is as important as the cleaning solution. Some people mistakenly use paper towels or any other kind of paper product. The paper fiber's can scratch the screen. Use a cotton or micro fiber towel as suggested above.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a big fan of Einszett 1z Cockpit Premium. It is not a "LCD" cleaner by trade. You usually have to pick it up online, but it is a general light cleaner/protectant for interior. I mist some on a MF towel and then wipe down the screen. Actually, I just did this last weekend. It also has some anti-static properties helping reduce future buildup of dust on your screen. Then use it on the rest of your Acadia interior. I generally use the MF towels from Costco or Sam's for this type of cleaning. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I'll be using the same procedure and stuff I use for my TV.
First remove dust with a Swiffer duster, mix 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 70% isopropyl alcohol,
apply solution to a MF towel, gently rub to clean the screen, never spray directly on a screen
like this. Nav, HDTV, computer screens, etc. can all be safely cleaned in this manner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use Monster Screenclean. Bought from Best Buy for my TV. Works perfectly on GPS. $12.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only use a clean microfiber cloth and sometimes a can of compressed air to screen my nav screen (and instrument cluster for that matter) and I do my best to avoid fine scratches as they will annoy you every time you see them in bright sunlight!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am currently using the belkin screen cleaning kit off Amazon with included towel. Previously, I was using the armour all tech wipes but they suck as they leave little fibers on the screens which makes me want to... :banghead:

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I love these people who spend $15 for an ounce of SUPER SCREEN CLEANER!

Mix 1/2 distilled water with 1/2 70% Iso Alcohol = super screen cleaner. For $2 you won't live long enough to use it all even if you have
a house full of HD TVs.... spray on a microfiber cloth then apply to screen in a circular motion. NAV, HD, computers, etc....

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Update:
Well...........I use optical lens cleaner you use for your glasses, binoculars, and rifle scopes in conjunction with a large silky smooth lens cloth. What do you think about that?

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Spit and a tissue can work in a pinch. ;D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Speleos said:
Spit and a tissue can work in a pinch. ;D
I was going to say the same thing - But thought the women on here would think that was gross.

So my next thought was to just breathe on it (like many people do to clean their eyeglasses) which creates
a "fog" and then wipe the screen off and polish dry. ;D

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
50andunretired said:
I was going to say the same thing - But thought the women on here would think that was gross.
I didn't say toss a loogie on it! LOL

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Speleos said:
I didn't say toss a loogie on it! LOL
Your putting words in my mouth - I never accused you of putting anything but spit on it which
doesn't include anything else, but some women would find that distastefully (Just Spit) in my past experiences.
Where as a breathe puffed on it wouldn't offend anyone I know. ;D

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Some folks have no sense of humor! :sosad: (or humour if you live up north ;D )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts