GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question...

What is the best way to clean the interior of my Acadia? For the dashboard (like dust and stuff), the chrome, and the leather? What seems to be the most popular method and products? I used armorol on my last car and it actually ruined parts of the dashboard, and I def don't want to do that again. I got my Acadia last Tuesday, and it's starting to get dusty, and I'd like to clean and vacuum it this weekend, but don't want to use anything I'll regret.

Thanks,

L

·
Registered
134 Posts
This probably would not answer your specific question in re: to what to use. But Personally, for now since my Acadia is new, I probably would not use any chemicals. I'd just use a clean cloth and water. UNLESS you've got stains. I'd use light/mild soap and water. Just my opinion. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that actually does answer my question. I don't have any stains, just dust starting to accumulate...naturally. So, thanks. I'll need to get a microfiber cloth.

Off question, on your signature, it says "2nd row console". What does that mean? Do you have the 7 passenger w/ captain's chairs? Do you have like a console thing in between, or space to walk back to the last row? Just curious...

:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
ahhh... Glad I was able to answer your question. If I may add. Persoanlly I think once you start using chemicals to clean your interior it adds unwanted oils on your leather seats which tend to attract more dust and dirt. So for the first year or so i'm going to TRY and avoid using cleaning solutions to try and preserve the brand new feel and look of the leather. I use to work at an Automotive interior place in my late teens and from experience I know leather holds up pretty darn well for the first few years before they need conditioning. BUT, we'll have to see what kind of spills and mess my twins will cause.. I maybe putting my foot in my mouth when they start becoming more active. So far they're only 8 weeks old..

I do have a 7 seater and it has a center console between the two captains chairs. It's an available option on the GMC website. We really cared less for this option but it was included on the specific Acadia my wife wanted. At the end it actually comes in handy since it has two additional beverage (baby bottle) holders, a huge compartment for diapers & baby wipes! :cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
For treating your interior plastic and trim, I would go ahead and 86 the Armor All as it seems like you already have. I would recommend Einszett 1z Cockpit Premium for cleaning protecting these areas. You probably won't find it in your local car store (e.g. AutoZone), but it is widely available online. I've been using it for a couple of years now on my Audis, and it leaves a nice matte finish. It has some basic cleaning abilities, and leaves an anti-dust protective coating on the trime. If it's very dusty already, use a swiffer duster to get the heavy stuff off. Then, take a microfiber towel (the ones from Costco or Sam's work well) and the Cockpit Premium and go to town. For example, put a couple of squirts on half of the top of the dash and then wipe dry with the towel. I think you'll be please with the outcome. I get mine at www.detailersdomain.com. The guy is based out of Jersey and has some of the best customer service you'll find on the net. He sponsors a few forums and offers disount codes to these forums as well. PM me for more info on that.

As for the leather, I usually use 1z Leather Cleaner & Conditioner as well. This stuff has taken out some pretty nasty stains and marks on leather before for me. It's not that expensive either. Take one of your MF towels and squirt a little dab on it and then work a 6" x 6" or so section at a time by rubbing it in. You might have to put a little more elbow grease into stained/marked areas. After doing a few sections, I go back and do a gentle wipe with a separate clean MF towel to make sure there is no excess.

Also, for tougher stains on plastic and trim on the interior, 1z makes a Plastic + Vinyl cleaner as well. It has more cleaning ability then Cockpit Premium, but does not leave as nice a finish.

The Cockpit Premium has a fairly chemical smell to it, but it goes away after a day. Like I said, I've been using it regularly on my cars for a couple years now and actually keeps them looking top-notch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
DJ that's some good tips and info. I've never head of this product. Just curious, as I mentioned on my previous posting. I typically wait a little while before using chemicals to clean my interior or leathers. Do you use this product when you first clean your brand new car? Does it keep the same effect? or do you also wait a little while?

·
Registered
75 Posts
For the leather, the sooner you can get some conditioner/protectant on it the better. I detailed an '08 Infiniti FX35 last month that was just a couple of months old and used the 1z leather cleaner / conditioner on it, and it softened up the leather and enhanced the color on it greatly. It was especially noticeable since it was black leather. Leaves a nice scent as well. Kind of like being at the spa!

As for the plastic and trim, I wouldn't hesitate to start using Cockpit Premium right away. I'm pretty sure we're picking our Acadia up this evening, and within the next week or two I'll be doing the interior with both 1z products (Cockpit Premium and Leather). I actually like the Cockpit Premium so much I bouth a 10L refill jug of it, so I'm stocked for a while! :beer:

Glad to help out, just let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! That's some great feedback. Thanks so much. I added the websites to my favorites, so I'll def be looking it up and I'll message you if I have any specific questions. I appreciate you taking the time (both of you) to help me with my question. Thanks so much. I just want to keep my Acadia in good condition!

L

P.S. I got my Acadia last week, and my parents liked mine so much they went out and ordered one! :) People catch the Acadia bug pretty quickly!

·
Registered
75 Posts
LBrown said:
Wow! That's some great feedback. Thanks so much. I added the websites to my favorites, so I'll def be looking it up and I'll message you if I have any specific questions. I appreciate you taking the time (both of you) to help me with my question. Thanks so much. I just want to keep my Acadia in good condition!
No problem, anytime...

Be careful with the car detailing bug too, it catches on rather easily and you find yourself buying all sorts of stuff!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's my '09 Acadia with black interior and a driver seat pic (sorry for being sidways, but Smugmu isn't playing nice to rotate it):

This is just a few hours after doing all the interior trim with Cockpit Premium and just did the driver's seat with 1z's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. As you can see the Cockpit Premium leaves a nice clean, matte finish. I tell you, it really put nice clean look on the interior trim and darkened it up. The leather did the same with the cleaner/conditioner.

·
Registered
427 Posts
dj_jonnyv said:
Here's my '09 Acadia with black interior and a driver seat pic (sorry for being sidways, but Smugmu isn't playing nice to rotate it):

This is just a few hours after doing all the interior trim with Cockpit Premium and just did the driver's seat with 1z's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. As you can see the Cockpit Premium leaves a nice clean, matte finish. I tell you, it really put nice clean look on the interior trim and darkened it up. The leather did the same with the cleaner/conditioner.
Wow, that looks really excellent! Question for you on the leather seat - my driver's seat has some "creases" in it if you will. The vehicle has 6,500 miles on it ... any idea if the leather cleaner/conditioner will help remove those?

Thanks!

EDIT: Is this the Leather conditioner you are using?

·
Registered
134 Posts
dj_jonnyv said:

dj_jonnyv
I guess I didn't cant you in time. I saw that you picked up your SLT-2! Congratulations! I was hoping to see some before and after pictures of your leather seats. I'm interested in the 1z's Leather Cleaner Conditioner. By any chance were you able to take some shots before you applied the 1z's?

·
Registered
75 Posts
dmurphy said:
dj_jonnyv said:

Wow, that looks really excellent! Question for you on the leather seat - my driver's seat has some "creases" in it if you will. The vehicle has 6,500 miles on it ... any idea if the leather cleaner/conditioner will help remove those?

Thanks!

EDIT: Is this the Leather conditioner you are using?
Yes, that's the product I'm using. PM me and I can give you some further information about that site when ordering.

ttwins1107 - I haven't done all the leather yet, so I'll try to get some of the passenger seat today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts